Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always assumed something and I asked myself where I got this idea and I don't know. So I'm asking to see if I assumed right or wrong. Would a 13 inch riser pulling the same weight as a longer riser, 21 inch shoot the same speed? Or maybe I should say Which is faster, a short riser or long riser, pulling the same weight. Or are they equal? I assumed the short riser as faster.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Sorry, no easy answer. String length, draw length, and riser to limb length all play a part.

String length.....The longer the bow, the less the limbs are deflected for a given draw length. So for a given draw length taking limbs off a short riser and putting them on a longer riser will result in drawing to a lower weight on the fingers and thus a slower result.

Riser and Limb length......For a given length bow, the bow with the longer riser and shorter limbs will tend to be faster due to the lower mass of the short limbs.

Hope that helps,

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I do not know and would have to concede to Rasyads post. I think the only way to know would be the same limbs, same poundage on a short and a long riser with the same arrow. I would say guessing not a lot, but some yes.

It might be the difference so negligible that it would be the weight difference is adding cat whiskers or a bare string. 6-8 fps? I think most high end limbs from makers are designed for the shorter risers etc. to be pretty efficient and the shoot ability and forgiveness would be more of a concern?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
How much slower? Say a guy who usually shoots 45 lbs on a 17 inch riser.. what speed app will he lose going to a 25 inch riser pulling the same 45 lbs. It must not be much because lots of people are shooting these big riser for 3d
We shoot longer risers cause they are more accurate. Speed never crossed my mind, when I ditched the 17" Titan for my 25" moon for 3d. Sorry I don't have a chrono, couldn't tell you which riser is faster, or even what speed I shoot.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've think the speed difference is fairly minor, but the feel of the shot and the forgiveness of the bow is quite different.

I prefer short snappy bows like my old Martin Mambas and now the 17" Titan.
Even though I've proved to myself I shoot a 25 inch riser slightly better in competition I still prefer the over all feel of the shot from shorter bows.
I'm the opposite when it comes to longbows.
Long is good, straight limbs are good, heavy arrows are great an speed is not that important.

John.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.