Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, I’ve asked, researched, and continued to wander if I’ve been wasting money on high end limbs. No one could really give me the actual facts I wanted to hear so I purchased a set of SX50 limbs to compare to my SX+ limbs of the exact same weight on the exact same riser.

Soooo I’ve been wasting allot of money is all I can say. The SX50 limbs are the exact same thickness, length, width, and curvature. However the SX50 limbs are heavier in their actual mass weight of the limb which can be noticed just by handling. So my next test was to mount them up and check brace and tiller. I did this with exact same string I used on the SX+ Everything came out dead exact I was super impressed by this. So next test was to go out and shoot some bare shafts. Wow I was blown away, exact same tune as my SX+ limbs, I assumed it would be stiff because it is suppose to be a slower limb??? Exact same tune. So next I needed to back up to 20, 30, and 40 yards to shoot some fletched and bare shafts to see if I had the same trajectory. I was blown away, they were smoother drawing, just as quiet if not quieter then my SX+ limbs and they were just breath taking smooth. I cannot believe my personal findings, the SX50 limb is smoother drawing then my SX+ limbs and shoots the exact same arrow the same. WOW is all I can say.

I can get 2 sets of SX50 for the price of one set of SX+ Limbs. I assumed the SX50 limbs would be slower and harsher draw. I find the SX+ limbs stack more up front for me.

If your on the fence trust me I am blown away by my personal findings.

I did not shoot through a chrono and there is no need too, bare shaft flys the same and trajectory is the same. They are not slower if they were my bare shaft would have been stiffer.

Hope this helps someone who is on the fence like I was, it’s expensive trying things but sometimes you just got to pull the trigger and hope it works. I would hate to see someone on a tight budget spent the money on a set of SX+ limbs when they can get the SX50 for half price.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thank you.
For as much as you are testing limbs it's a shame you can't chrono.
Many can't afford to buy or have access to high end limbs.
As for speed numbers it just helps when wondering about a certain limbs performance.

I haven't been to Kalamazoo in years but when you shoot different bows at 10 feet they all seem equally fast.
Lol

What's interesting is you feel there is a bit more preload in the sx50.
I like preload but if it's not any faster then I would opt for the other until price is a factor.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did you mean preload?
I reread that part and it looks like you mean earlier stack point perceived.
Sorry.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.
For as much as you are testing limbs it's a shame you can't chrono.
Many can't afford to buy or have access to high end limbs.
As for speed numbers it just helps when wondering about a certain limbs performance.

I haven't been to Kalamazoo in years but when you shoot different bows at 10 feet they all seem equally fast.
Lol

What's interesting is you feel there is a bit more preload in the sx50.
I like preload but if it's not any faster then I would opt for the other until price is a factor.
Preload in the sx+ sir the sx50 is super smooth.

I shot the limbs out to 40 yards and shot 6 fletched with 2 bare shafts, same tune as my sx+ limbs sir. Same exact tune.

I am more concerned about arrow tune, and trajectory. When you shoot limbs off the same riser and are purely an instinctive shooter you will notice if a limb is faster or slower out the 40 when you’ve been shooting sx+ limbs for 5 months on this exact riser.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you mean preload?
I reread that part and it looks like you mean earlier stack point perceived.
Sorry.
Re read again sir.

The SX50 are smoother.

The SX+ which is the high end limbs have a harsher up front draw, they are stiffer, they have more load or stack up front. The SX50 are slick as a ribbon sir, they are super super smooth.

I doubt I will ever buy another pair of SX+ limbs again.

The only negative is the total mass weight of the limb, not the draw weight but the mass wait the sx50 is a bit heavier.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks again.

The only times I ever been called Sir so much is when I'm in the fine state of Texas.
You wouldn't happen to be from Texas would you?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again.

The only times I ever been called Sir so much is when I'm in the fine state of Texas.
You wouldn't happen to be from Texas would you?
No sir, I was raised to use manors and show respect or I would have got jack slapped growing up. I hope that doesn’t offend you! God bless you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a question. Is there any limbs other than uukha that have the same smooth draw for 29+ guys, other than super curves
The only other limb I have personally shot that is smoother then the Uukha series limbs is the backwoods composites super curve limb.

I hear there is a guy in Germany it’s called DK Archery who is said to make a super smooth fast carbon ILF limb.

I too am interested in the question you asked, maybe if no one chimes in here I would start a thread in the top of this forum asking this question. I would be interested to know from Others who have shot the Uukha limbs!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Gobi's 50#. Supposed to be the same as the SX50s. Measured 49# at my draw length.
I find them very nice to shoot, didn't have any issues tuning them. Fit and finish was spot on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts