Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at these limbs thinking they would give me a bit more performance over standard recurve limbs for hunting and from what I’ve read the draw seems appealing. Any comments about your experience with these limbs would be helpful.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Honestly for the money they are tough to beat . The smooth draw along with the stored energy is hard to beat . Can get them really quiet to . I’ve compared them to many limbs double the price and they still hold their own .
I agree 100%. I have medium 40lb Gobi’s on a 21” EXE Scream shooting a 535 grain arrow which is over 13 gpp at 168 fps. The bow is super quiet and to me it’s the best of all worlds. I am able to shoot a small fixed crawl of about 1/2” and have the same POI 20 yards and in, hold on the spine on my 3D target and it will drop to a low 10 at 25 yards and. Slide my tab up to the nock for 30 and hold dead on and hit the 10. This is perfect for my 20 yard and in whitetail hunting.

When I was researching these limbs I had several people say they had higher priced limbs tell me they wish they had gotten the Gobi’s / SX50’s. You can’t go wrong with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Breathn,

What's your opinion of Gobi versus Nika N3?

From what I've read, the Nika N3 seems like it's made in Uukha's previous-ten Curve shape, and thus the comparisons to the Ex1 Evo2.

Comparing them, is it a case of individual preference for Curve versus S-Curve?

Do you find the Uukhas are better made, might last longer, etc?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breathn,

What's your opinion of Gobi versus Nika N3?

From what I've read, the Nika N3 seems like it's made in Uukha's previous-ten Curve shape, and thus the comparisons to the Ex1 Evo2.

Comparing them, is it a case of individual preference for Curve versus S-Curve?

Do you find the Uukhas are better made, might last longer, etc?
There is a lot more available information on the Golbi limbs and that’s a big factor for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tracker, if I remember right you shoot lighter poundage for hunting like I do. I just did a speed test with all 3 of my 40 pound hunting bows and this is what I got. I used the same single arrow repeatedly to get an average on all three bows. My hunting arrow is a Goldtip Warrior, 500 spine, 30 inches, standard insert, 200 grain tip/broadhead, weighs 450 grains, and I draw 28 1/2 inches

64 inch ILF longbow setup with DAS bamboo core limbs, scales 40.3 pounds at my anchor = 167 fps
60 inch Black Hunter Elite recurve, scales 40.7 pounds at my draw length = 170 fps
66 inch ILF recurve, 19 inch metal riser with XL Uukha SX50 limbs, scales 39.3 = 180 fps

I still have room to turn the ILF bolts in more on my Uukha rig, but 180 is fast enough for me, and my lightest, most comfortable rig is my fastest. So yes, the new Uukha Gobi/SX50 limbs are the way to go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a lot more available information on the Golbi limbs and that’s a big factor for me.
I had a conversation about the Nikas and the Gobi’s that I have already with Breathn last week because I was contemplating getting the Nikas based upon the little I was able to research for a heavier limb for an elk hunt next year. He told me they are very similar quality but draw more like a standard limb meaning they have a little greater increase in DW once past the 28” area unlike the Gobi’s having a more linear draw but they are also faster than most standard limbs for the same DW . And that’s why they are compared more to the EVO EX1 limbs vs the S curves.

I will be buying the Nikas for that hunt after this conversation.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another note on the smoothness of my three bows, somehow my 60 inch black hunter is smoother at my draw length than my 64 inch longbow setup. But the Uukha setup is crazy smooth, I can pull them past my ear without stacking. But I actually love all three setups and will just grab which ever one I am in the mood for.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
You might find this thread interesting--or not.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a conversation about the Nikas and the Gobi’s that I have already with Breathn last week because I was contemplating getting the Nikas based upon the little I was able to research for a heavier limb for an elk hunt next year. He told me they are very similar quality but draw more like a standard limb meaning they have a little greater increase in DW once past the 28” area unlike the Gobi’s having a more linear draw but they are also faster than most standard limbs for the same DW . And that’s why they are compared more to the EVO EX1 limbs vs the S curves.

I will be buying the Nikas for that hunt after this conversation.

The one thing I have read about the Nikas that makes them a deal killer for me as a hunter is that they are a bit loud. The draw of the Gobi limbs is the biggest appeal to me. Price wise I can buy them both at about the same price.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The one thing I have read about the Nikas that makes them a deal killer for me as a hunter is that they are a bit loud. The draw of the Gobi limbs is the biggest appeal to me. Price wise I can buy them both at about the same price.
Managed to get mine real quiet by changing string material to BCY Mercury, and switching to velco on the string groove. The N3's whip hard. Now as quiet as my quietest wood/glass.

IMO the issue with the Gobis for me is the load they put on the draw shoulder early (and some of the quality/production challenges Uukha has been seeing lately). I like a smooth ramp in for shoulder health, esp at the AC joint. S-Curves can feel slightly compound-like! Others like this.

Room at the back of the draw I don't need - more in favour of something smooth but a more conservative draw curve, for consistency. Others really like all that room at the back and it works for them.

It's great there are so many choices about these days, to really build a bow around a body and shooting style.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Managed to get mine real quiet by changing string material to BCY Mercury, and switching to velco on the string groove. They slap hard. Now as quiet as my quietest wood/glass.

IMO the issue with the Gobis for me is the load they put on the draw shoulder early. I like a smooth ramp in for shoulder health, esp at the AC joint. S-Curves can feel a little compound-like! Room at the back of the draw I don't need - more in favour of something smooth but a more conservative draw curve.

It's great there are so many choices about these days, to really build a bow around a body and shooting style.
Tell me more about Mercury. I just got some D97 because that seems to be the preferred material. I have for about the last 12 years made all of my endless loop compound strings and after buying 2 strings for the recurve I feel I would rather build them myself because I end up wasting so much time on the center serving having to build them up to work with the Easton S nocks and the nocks on my GT Hunters.

Being a recent convert to a recurve I can see what you are saying about the feeling of let off with the Gobi's but don't think its significant enough to cause or even feel in the shoulder. I have had 100's of stingers from College football which has caused 3 bulging discs in my neck. If I do some movements just right I can further impinge the nerve and lose all strength in my left arm for months at a time and end up in PT. If anything taking up the recurve seems to have helped the issue because it has gotten rid of the hump and dump of even a 65% let off cam. It seems to have strengthened the shoulders, lats and traps so the whole area is more stable. My first limbs were 36lb Galaxy Bronze Stars that I was told by Lancaster would peak about 40lbs. since I was new to traditional but they gave me 46lbs.OTF. I thought they were smooth and was able to shoot well but starting they were probably too heavy. I then got to shoot a couple Satori's that had the sx50 and Gobi's at 40lbs and 45lbs respectively and they felt amazing. With what I felt and read about the performance I ordered the 40"s and have been extremely happy getting 168fps with a 516 gr. arrow so over 13gpp.

Like I said earlier I am looking at the Nika's more for a specific hunt than making them my primary limbs so the quality and lower price mean something. I am confident I can make them quiet.

I look forward to your response!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven’t read that they are a loud limb. Curious where you are able to get Uukhas for about the same price as the Nika’s?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven’t read that they are a loud limb. Curious where you are able to get Uukhas for about the same price as the Nika’s?

Alternative Archery. They are special order and it takes four week but I’m ok with that.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I believe on of the threads were posted on here or AT recently on a review on those limbs.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tell me more about Mercury. I just got some D97 because that seems to be the preferred material. I have for about the last 12 years made all of my endless loop compound strings and after buying 2 strings for the compound I feel I would rather build them myself because I end up wasting so much time on the center serving having to build them up to work with the Easton S nocks and the nocks on my GT Hunters.

Being a recent convert to a recurve I can see what you are saying about the feeling of let off with the Gobi's but don't think its significant enough to cause or even feel in the shoulder. I have had 100's of stingers from College football which has caused 3 bulging discs in my neck. If I do some movements just right I can further impinge the nerve and lose all strength in my left arm for months at a time and end up in PT. If anything taking up the recurve seems to have helped the issue because it has gotten rid of the hump and dump of even a 65% let off cam. It seems to have strengthened the shoulders, lats and traps so the whole area is more stable. My first limbs were 36lb Galaxy Bronze Stars that I was told by Lancaster would peak about 40lbs. since I was new to traditional but they gave me 46lbs.OTF. I thought they were smooth and was able to shoot well but starting they were probably too heavy. I then got to shoot a couple Satori's that had the sx50 and Gobi's at 40lbs and 45lbs respectively and they felt amazing. With what I felt and read about the performance I ordered the 40"s and have been extremely happy getting 168fps with a 516 gr. arrow so over 13gpp.

Like I said earlier I am looking at the Nika's more for a specific hunt than making them my primary limbs so the quality and lower price mean something. I am confident I can make them quiet.

I look forward to your response!
I also have neck issues but my problem is mostly in my collar bone joint where it connects to the sternum. A problem that can happen with lots of shooting high poundage compounds with aggressive cams for many years. Apparently, according to the doctor, the load on your collar bone, which acts as a strut, with your arm and shoulder position as shooting a compound can cause that to happen, but it’s more common on the other end of the collar bone where it connects to the shoulder.
Over the last few years I have seen a few post about this but it’s not very common.
With the recurve the poundage loads at the middle gradually building to the end, a much stronger position.
That injury is there and will flare up quickly shooting a compound but not much at all with a lower poundage recurve. So I am trying to find the best performance with the reduced poundage I can at a price I can afford. It is a bit depressing that 45# is max but it’s much safer for me at 40#.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also have neck issues but my problem is mostly in my collar bone joint where it connects to the sternum. A problem that can happen with lots of shooting high poundage compounds with aggressive cams for many years. Apparently, according to the doctor, the load on your collar bone, which acts as a strut, with your arm and shoulder position as shooting a compound can cause that to happen, but it’s more common on the other end of the collar bone where it connects to the shoulder.
Over the last few years I have seen a few post about this but it’s not very common.
With the recurve the poundage loads at the middle gradually building to the end, a much stronger position.
That injury is there and will flare up quickly shooting a compound but not much at all with a lower poundage recurve. So I am trying to find the best performance with the reduced poundage I can at a price I can afford. It is a bit depressing that 45# is max but it’s much safer for me at 40#.
That is why even though I am 6'2' 270 and won the over 40 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan Ams just 7 months before having a Widowmaker heart attack. I am using these light weight limbs because the last time I ended up in PT for 6 months was after doing just 25 push ups.

What I have learned are these Gobi's even at only 40lbs OTF are shooting my 516 grain arrow at 168fps which is very fast and I was pleasantly surprised when during winter bow I was able to put the same arrow through the scapula on a doe a couple months after taking up the stickbow. I was super worried when I saw it because I have killed about 150 deer with the compound but had never done anything more than clip a corner of the shoulder blade. This significantly slower and less powerful bow exceeded my expectations. Since then I have significantly faster limbs and know how to tune it better too as evidenced by the 2" deeper penetration from a 6lb lighter limb in my bag and Rhinehart targets.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts