Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like cast iron cookware, but usually I'm using it camping or at the deer shack. I've got Coleman propane and white gas stoves but the burners are small enough to cause "hot spots" and scorching at the center. Anybody had experience using cast iron in conjunction with commercially available "heat diffusers" that lay between the burner and pan and distribute the flame over a wider area? They're available in aluminum(cheap), cast iron (more expensive), and copper (the best conductor, but be prepared to slap leather!) Do they work well enough to invest in one?

--------------------
"Wakan Tanka
Wakan Tanka
Pilamaya
Wichoni heh"

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I use high output stoves in my outdoor kitchen and use diffusers.
What I did was cut 6 inch, 7 inch and 8 inch circles out of 1/4 mild steel.
This will let me simmer without burning.
Cost was 8 dollars apiece at the local welding shop.

Erich

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I've used carbon steel as a diffuser too (we throw away a lot of scrap from laser cutting at work.) Carbon steel is a so-so heat diffuser/conductor. Better than stainless but not even as good as iron. This site has a ----lengthy--- discussion of pan types and materials, there's a chart of relative conductivity.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.