Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few different strings that I am going to experiment with

I will be using a Chrono and a sound meter

In setting up the sound meter are there any suggestions like when it comes to setting it at fast or slow etc to get the best reading ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good idea JP.

Can you recommend a good quality Chrono? Anything half decent available from Ebay?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I run my BH up and down and dont hear or feel a difference. Maybe a sound meter is needed. :D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I didn't read the whole article that Mac posted so this is probably in there, but consistent distance between the source (string) and detector is critical. Since sound is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source and detector, a couple inches could make a difference.

What will affect you the most is the difference, not the actual distance, so if your meter is a little further away the difference between shots will be less and the variable better controlled. My guess is you will have relatively small differences between the string materials so you will need to control the variables as well as possible to get reliable data.

I'm looking forward to your results...:shooting:

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Are you going to hand shoot or use a shooting machine? Using a soft rope style release might help eliminate variables created by that part of the concatenation of variables.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I'd keep fingers involved, you're using fingers when hunting.
JMO.....

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
im concerned about a phones decibel meter.
phones auto level for back ground noise.
sometimes a cell phone sounds like the call has gone dead because its self adjusting background noise levels.

does the decibel meter software bypass this autolevel. or is it hard coded to the mic?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Make sure that you are good long distance from the target that is being used to catch the arrows. Depending upon the target media, the hit can be loud enough to overwhelm the signal that you're actually looking for, the bow noise. Its helpful to use 2 people, one to shoot, one to run the meter. If you're using a meter with a peak and hold function, its handy to use that function. But if your running a nice quiet bow, even your footsteps can rise above the signal from the bow. That because you're getting closer and closer to the meter to read it. It's because of the inverse proportion rule that Easy brought up.

I found that using a shooting machine was practically hopeless. The racket created and then basically amplified by having the bow strapped into a rigid structure was just nuts. Even with a dB meter it was impossible to distinguish any clear trends. You would be amazed by how much the bow noise is damped simply the fact that the bow is held in your hand. One may eventually figure out a way to get decent usable signal when using a shooting machine. But you'll probably actually get to real usable results faster if you just simply shoot a bunch of shots, by hand, and take the averages.

I think I would also skip using a release. How the string reacts to rolling off the fingers and taking on its side to side oscillations, plus the oscillations induced in the arrow by a finger release, probably have an impact on the noise generated.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I don't hear well, particularly on my left side, so on a lark I did some very basic tests with sound apps on my LG. It was very informal, absolutely not with the level of expertise or enthusiasm you guys strive for, but it did show me the differences in sound attenuation using different brace heights(at extremes) and silencing materials. With the app positioned 2' away from the bow on the right side the best I recorded were levels ~70db.

Testing the last string silencer setup on my longbow I remember thinking, "man, this rig might be borderline loud for hunting". No sooner had that happened when my son came up and remarked at how really quiet this longbow was compared to some of my recurves! That got me wondering so I stood to the side and had him shoot a few arrows. He was right, while standing just 4'-5' to the right I was amazed at the quiet "tunk" I heard from the bow.

Where you're standing makes all the difference in perceived sound levels and standing directly behind the bow it is where they are definitely at their loudest.

·
赛
614 Posts
JP -

I've used my share of DB meters. Couple/three things. With a good meter you can set the frequency range for the sound(s) you want to pick up. You also need to determine the level of ambient, or background noise before you start trying to isolate a particular source (bowstring). The background noise levels can and will surprise you. Lastly, sound is highly directional. If you set your DB meter - for example - 10 yards directly in front of you ("the target"), it will give you a very different reading than if you set it 10 yards to the left or right of the target.

FWIW

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
JP -

I've used my share of DB meters. Couple/three things. With a good meter you can set the frequency range for the sound(s) you want to pick up. You also need to determine the level of ambient, or background noise before you start trying to isolate a particular source (bowstring). The background noise levels can and will surprise you. Lastly, sound is highly directional. If you set your DB meter - for example - 10 yards directly in front of you ("the target"), it will give you a very different reading than if you set it 10 yards to the left or right of the target.

FWIW

Regards,

Salskov
mmm.

I have a degree in GIS. Which looks at data in a spatial context.

That would make a interesting map.
red being loud.
blue being quiet.
rings of sound round the person so see which directions and distances the sound travels.

Sorry Off topic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is software and apps that can give true readings provided the mic is calibrated properly. .Also. .being able to measure time can rule out any target hit nouse..unless you want it there to calculate speed..

Joe isn't planning on doing a scientific test..just seeing what a few different strings are doing..so it should be fine. ..at least from my conversation with him this morning. .

I'm looking forward to it...and as soon as the weather breaks wanted to do the same outside at the bow. .and at the target...2 sets of limbs off the same riser..1 recuve..1 long bow set..various yardages...

Mac

·
Registered
710 Posts
You are a brave man, Joe. You know if the wrong string wins you're setting yourself up for a digital "tarring and feathering", lol!

·
赛
614 Posts
You are a brave man, Joe. You know if the wrong string wins you're setting yourself up for a digital "tarring and feathering", lol!
Ahh c'mon now . . .

I figure DB levels oughta be just as contagious and contentious as FPS !

Just to get the barrel rolling down the hill, I'll say that good 'ol Dacron (B55) is waaay quieter than all this newfangled HDPE/Fastflight stuff.

Now I will duck and run for cover.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Hey Joe.

Go to the following link:

http://www.bluestacks.com/

Download & install BlueStacks on your PC, and then you can use a very large variety of apps that are designed for the android phones, including sound & speed apps. Combined with the processing speeds of a good computer, and good quality microphones these apps can be very useful for you.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
If we are talking about noise that might spook game knowing the frequency would be very important too. Sound meters measure energy, not detectable or "hearing" sound to living things.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the comments

Bottom line is that I played around and made a video shooting two bows I believe to be at the top of the heap for custom and production kit

I just wanted to compare my two latest setups for sound against each other shooting split and three under

Nothing crazy and nothing that is hard science just some fun with a bow and a sound meter.......... nothing more

This first video is In no way apples to apples it is two different bows with two different string materials

I am just finished tuning these bows and they are both shooting well and I just wanted to see how they sounded next to each other

I will post it later

Thanks again for the education

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm looking forward to your results with chrono and sound meter using the different types of string material.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good idea JP.

Can you recommend a good quality Chrono? Anything half decent available from Ebay?
I have an Oehler that I use for load development but for my archery needs I use a cheap ProChrono

Somedays it seems to be more reliable than my expensive one :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts