Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my hunting rig and would like it as quiet as possible. My hearing is shot, so noise levels are tough for me.
Someone posted a great post about shooting at a horizontal line and adjusting brace from results. I'm going to try that one too.
I was just wondering if anyone on here has adjusted their brace by shooting through a chrono? I'm thinking it might be possible if you were using a clicker. I'm just not sure how much speed variation you will have with in manufactures recommendations.
Doug

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I wish I could find the website/thread where I got that info, I use it religiously and it's served me well. I don't own a chrono but I gotta believe that the proof is in the pudding. If you find the brace height that transfers the most energy to the shaft, it's stands to reason...to me... that this would be your fastest and quietest.

·
Registered
521 Posts
As most of you know, I tested quite a few bows over the years with a chrono. :)

When I tune my bow, I adjust the brace height quite a bit high and make a few shots to feel how the bow acts after the shot. With a high brace height vibration should be very low. I then take about 3 twists out of the string and shoot again. I'm doing that until I reach the point, where the bow starts to vibrate after the shot. From that point I add 1 - 3 twists and call it a day.
So I adjust my brace height according to my feel to get the bow to the quietest setting. When there's no vibration, then pretty much all of the bow's power is used to propell the arrow.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I have spent hours and hours in front of a chrono, only to find each time that it's readings don't influence my brace height or tune really.

I select a bow by the way it feels. That is the most important thing to me. If it has a report like a .22 lr , it will more than likely stay on the rack when I go shoot. If the limbs do not recover quickly and quietly, it well likely remain on the rack.

Vibration and noise are distractions to me. i don't need any bow imposed distractions. A few fps is not going to riser my score near as much a my clear and undistracted focus.

I think Black's procedure is the way to set brace heights.

·
Registered
521 Posts
biglegmax, I found very little difference in speeds at low or higher brace heights. Other people may say different.

I prefer a bow that is shootable, reasonable quiet and has almost no vibration.

OTOH my speedbow shot 245 fps at 4.5 grains per pound with no ill effect. (Don't do this at home kids :)) That bow was not as quiet and not as vibration free.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Along the same lines...
I used a noise measuring iPhone app to determine the quietest brace height. Set the phone up close to the bow and the app gave a numerical reading of the noise level. It was much more precise than my ears at picking up relative differences.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I played with a noise level meter quite a while ago and found something rather intersting. After installing limb savers and moving the string silencers on the string, the bow sounded a lot quieter.
Measuring before and after the sound level meter showed almost no difference in the different readings. Changing the frequency of the bow-string-system made the perceived sound quieter, but in reality it wasn't.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Doesn't/wouldn't frequency play a big part, particularly in a hunting bow? It's just my understanding....and thus to be seriously questioned, lol.... but doesn't/can't frequency play a major part in a deer's reaction to the string? I've heard that lower frequencies affect less than higher. Has anyone experienced that or found it to be true?

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Michael, that makes sense to me - - that it's the normal forest sounds that are lower frequency, and the higher frequency sounds are not typical for the forest, and that's why those higher ones alert the deer more so than the lower.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
when shooting flight bows, i use a 5-6 strand string and shoot arrows as low as 3gr/#. the bows sound like a sonic boom, there is extreme overtravel of the string but no vibration. i use the same bows for hunting with a 10 strand string, a brace height determined like blacky described, and there is no vibration or noise when shooting an arrow.
what takes the vibration away is a simple thing. i removed all the extra material above the nocks on all my bows. that single act did more to get all the power from the limbs with no vibration than any other thing i have tried in all my archery career.
i learned that from daniel perry. a real expert with self bows.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in the camp of moderation, not trying to find the fastest spot. I was just curious if anyone has actually measured the difference in speed through a chrono at low and high brace. I have a chrono but rarely use it.
If there was a difference of lets say 7fps, I could justify using it to find brace. If the difference is 3fps, it wouldn't pay to play. I'm sure most guys on here do the mix and match, brand H riser, brand X limbs, it would be nice to have simple system to find a moderate brace height so when you go to fine tune there is flexibility on both sides.
Silence is golden, only if you can't hear it :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I guess he means cutting as much of the tip off as possible, that is above the string groove. This is just "dead" weight and is only good for looks or to fit the pockets of the stringer a little better. :)

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
I do this. The speed variation is like +/- 3 fps depending on how far you go from ideal. But it works better for me than the sound test, and +3 fps is still +3 fps.

The frequency really matters too. That's why I gave up on super skinny strings. That and they don't really shoot any faster either.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
I go for the fast spot. It seems to be the most quiet, but as others have said I have a hard time discerning the noise at +/- 1/4", and my hearing is good. Way above or below I can, but to really fine tune I like to use my little chrony.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts