Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing the Orthopedic Consultant last week to be told my Tennis Elbow will last about another 12-18 months, he recommended I shouldn’t shoot but said if I did it shouldn’t make it any worse it will just take a little longer to heal, he suggested I use a support strap on my forearm.

Yesterday I picked up my Bow for the first time in two months found the strap doesn’t really stop the pain, just stops it from getting worse and I managed to shoot for about 40 min with the accuracy building up to a reasonable level, today the elbow feels no worse but my shoulders feel like I’ve been bench pressing 200lbs.(at least I know my form is correct :) )

Going to try shooting two consecutive days next week, if I can get through that I think I will be Ok to shoot NAFAC in Miami next month, I under no illusion of walking away with any trophies but at least I’ll get to shoot with my buddies. :amen:

·
Banned
808 Posts
Glad to hear things are at least lookin up a little.I would have some trouble not shooting for a yr myself,hopefully I,ll never be told that.

Heal fast!! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Swampy.

The last 18 months has been something of a challenge, with the work on my Jaw with yet another operation in the new year, then these problems with my elbow. Being forced to sit at home and rest has given me a real bad case of cabin fever.

Next spring I hope elbow and Jaw will be behind me and I can look forward to some serious training.
A few of the guys here in England don't really understand I haven't practiced\trained for 12 months, they're thinking I've lost my touch....... are they in for a big surpize next summer :eek:

·
One Shot One Kill
717 Posts
Elbow

I broke my elbow on my bow arm two years ago and man did it bother me for awhile after that. I started shooting my bow about three weeks after I broke it and the vibration was getting to me sarted wearing a Sobona wrist band and it really helped also got some shark cartilage pills and the pain went away.

I would never have tried either if a doctor friend hadn't pointed me in the direction.

Jordan

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
wow steve! your picture makes you look so young and you have all these things going on!
at my age and because i've always had a strong back and a weak mind, i have thumbs that no longer work and pain from my hands up through the shoulders on both arms.
hope you shoot smart and don't aggravate the inflamation! better to have a little time to heal then a prolonged seige of pain.
i speak from experience.
best of luck to you!
larry hatfield

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your wise words Larry.

I am taking it easy, just seeing how things go over the next week or so, if my elbow gets worse I'll stop shooting.

I just want to get through NAFAC in 4 weeks time, after that they're going to break my Jaw again, so I wont be able to shoot again until March.

life is fun. :)

·
beginner ELB shooter
399 Posts
Hello Steve!

Erks, you've had a tough row to hoe this past year, haven't you? Well, here's hoping you'll get some good shooting in, before the jaw surgery stuff. (ACK!) As much as you love archery, I hate to imagine the withdrawals you must be going through!

You know, though, from what I read of you here, the thing you've got that many don't is the mindset. It's all still there, cast in iron in your head, and I think everything else will come back whenever you come back to shooting, for good. Visualize it, and it will happen. :shooting:

Meanwhile, have a great time in Miami - I know you'll make a good showing.
Best regards and wishes for speedy recovery,

Nevadan

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Nevadan

Albertakid got one of those magnatic wrist bands today, thanks for that one.

Also having some Acupuncture, the Chinese Doctor has given me some really horrible tasting herbs to boil up into a tea, I can only describe as looking like mud and tastes like sh#t. :mad:

The things I do for Archery :)

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
if you enjoy thai food ask at your local thai retaurant for mara pad gai. you'll get a bitter melon/egg scramble. if i eat bitter melon two or three times a week my pain is reduced by at least 70%.
as a side advantage, if you are exposed to malaria it will help keep you safe from the chills etc. because the bitterness is due to high levels of quinine.
larry

·
Registered
711 Posts
Holy Cow!!! all I did for tendonitis is curls with a 20 #& 30# dumbbell.
Think I'll pass on the oriental remedies.
I'm a meat and taters guy I draw the line on most oriental dishes. :cheers:

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.