Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last evening hunt I was fortunate to have two 8 pts. Come within 20yrds of my tree. So the first one I lost sight of the arrow but I beleve I hit him low. He only ran at the shot about 30 yrds and stopped tail tucked in hard and had a hunched up stance to him. Over A period of 10 min or so he made his way into a thick cut and I'm hoping he didn't go far before bedding.
So my plan was to sit awhile longer lots of daylight left and sneak out of there and come back in the morning. Not a fan of looking for deer in the dark unless they drop in sight.

So I'm sitting there in my treesaddle and here comes a Bigger buck out of the thicket and he's headed my way. I let him pass by me on my off handed side at 10yrds. He's headed for a white oak that's 25yrds away where the ground has been pulverized by deer on the edge of a corn field.

The quick decision was made that I would try to take him also and be tagged out for buck hunting here so early in our season.
The shot was 22 yrds broadside. Had to use my back up arrow with a 125 gr woodsman elite as I had used one of my land sharks on the first buck and another was laying at the base of my tree that got nocked out of the arrow holder on the bow. (Hate that)
The third one of my brand new land sharks is laying buried beneath grasses in southern Michigan where I missed a doe on opening morning. I will find that arrow later I hope.

The arrow hit the 2nd buck a little higher and a touch back. Upon impact he almost went down as he went plowing thru the corner of the corn field and into the hardwoods when I heard him crash. I've hit deer high before and severed the artery that runs under the spine which usually drops them in short order.
So here I sit waiting for my hunting partner and freind of 35 yrs. to come in from his morning hunt to hopefully recover both of these gifts.

Thinking we might try to utilize our bird dogs in the recovery. If we have trouble with recovery I'm calling one of the bloodhound tracking services.

Ok so now I've told my story for the tenth time since there is no one here to talk to I'd figured I would share it here. Going to make a second pot if coffee and start getting ready my help will be here around 9. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
DENNIS, hoping we'll see pictures of your 2 bucks - good luck!!

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Exciting day! I hope the recovery goes well, pics are always fun.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Wow that's an exciting hunt. Hope you have short recoveries

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's not going good. Found blood on first buck followed for maybe 60 yrds or so then it stopped. I started to circle the area in the direction it was going and jumped him out of his bed. I guess he's not mortally wounded or I'm sure he would expired there overnight.
2nd buck cannot find a drop of blood,no arrow. Grid searched the area and nothing. I don't get it. Taking my bird dog out to go over the area till dark.

The bloodhound tracking pros are busy until tmrw morning maybe but it's forecast to rain.

This is really starting to suck.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Well it's not going good. Found blood on first buck followed for maybe 60 yrds or so then it stopped. I started to circle the area in the direction it was going and jumped him out of his bed. I guess he's not mortally wounded or I'm sure he would expired there overnight.
2nd buck cannot find a drop of blood,no arrow. Grid searched the area and nothing. I don't get it. Taking my bird dog out to go over the area till dark.

The bloodhound tracking pros are busy until tmrw morning maybe but it's forecast to rain.

This is really starting to suck.
Sorry to hear buddy. Could you see the arrow in the buck you jumped or blood spot? Since he didn't go far he was hurt, but not a lung/arterie/hesrt hit if he was still alive. If the arrowhead is still in him, there's a chance his moving could cut something that will finish him off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kenn, it was a pass thru hit, was low and I think up around the front legs.
We jumped him from his bed and he looked to be getting along ok.

This has really got me thinking long and hard about using the recurve any more this season.
Heck I'm damn near ready sell it all and move on. I've been bowhunting 30+ years and only lost one deer in that time. Now to put arrows in two bucks without recovery really is weighing heavily on me. I need a beer......

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Kenn, it was a pass thru hit, was low and I think up around the front legs.
We jumped him from his bed and he looked to be getting along ok.

This has really got me thinking long and hard about using the recurve any more this season.
Heck I'm damn near ready sell it all and move on. I've been bowhunting 30+ years and only lost one deer in that time. Now to put arrows in two bucks without recovery really is weighing heavily on me. I need a beer......
I hear ya, losing a deer is tough on a guy. Keep your head up and pick up the compound if your confidence is down. Shooting a trad bow is tough, hunting with one is even tougher. Not like a compound where you have a solid draw stop and peep sight to ensure everything is right. That being said I just helped a friend try to find one he hit last night. Hit it high in the back and about halfway back between head/tail. Got very little penetration and we didnt find much blood and never found it. That was with a compound at about 10yds, it happens. Deer are tough, you might see the same ones again yet this season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts