Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nick Snook here (turbonockguy) I am an archer and inventor.
I have been shooting since age 3, (1951) I shot totally traditional up to about 12 years ago when I figured a way to make arrows more accurate.
At the time my product only worked with compound bows.
A few years ago I back engineered my product to work with trad bows.
I make a nock with a twist in it. It instantly spins the arrow at the bowstring
virtually eliminates paradox. allow arrows to fly with smaller fletching. and other things. Last year I got back to my roots and now shoot a Black Swan bow. In recent months several Trad shooters have tried my nocks an have done quite well in tournaments.
Any thought here, on using an improved nock still make the shooting traditional?
Here is the video showing the difference.
conventional nock= 45 degree rotation in 5 feet
my nock= 45 degree rotation to the riser and 2 full rotations in 5 feet.
is this a good thing?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Turbo,
Yes I've heard about your nocks and do intend to give them a try one day.
I'm sure somebody will say their not traditional, but that doesn't bother me much because I'm not very traditional myself anyway.

All the best an keep up the good work,
John.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have tried them on a friends arrows. I think they deffinitly make a difference

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been interested in trying these nocks. I understand there is some specialty tuning that needs to be done. That's the main reason I haven't added them yet waiting till the end of hunting season.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
"conventional nock= 45 degree rotation in 5 feet
my nock= 45 degree rotation to the riser and 2 full rotations in 5 feet.
is this a good thing?"

that's a very good question. I do not like my arrows to spin. if they even make one revolution in 20 yards I fix them so they will not do that any longer.
spinning slows an arrow down, reduces penetration,(my opinion only) and I could never find a reason for it in 61 years of shooting recurves and longbows for hunting purposes.
never tried it for target. never had a need.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thanks Larry, I hadn't thought of that.
I've always been under the impression that spinning stabilises a hunting arrow/ broad head combination.
I always shot hunting arrows with some degree of helical, but this was only because I was told to do this from day one and I've never questioned it until now.
I can see I'm going to have to do some back paddock experimenting now.

John.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
every arrow I have shot that set or established a new flight record has been with an arrow that was perfectly motionless in rotation as it flew away from the bow. they have tiny, straight, fletching. I quit putting any helical on my hunting arrows in the 1950's. I use ace express heads on forgewood shafts and they fly perfectly with 4" straight fletching.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A lot has to do with arrow speed and the effective area of the fletching. For the average recurve with a arrow traveling at 200 fps or less, that arrow will not fly straight but will wiggle and oscillate in flight. Those oscillations take energy from the arrow. It will take either more fletching or some helical twist to damp those oscillations. At 300fps, vanes suffice, and the arrows are stiff enough so that the period of oscillation is high and the accuracy is less effected.
Other factors in determining lateral arrow motions are the shelf offset (past center means less paradox to overcome) and the type of release (finger releases introduce lateral motion in the arrow).
Does any of this have any bearing on the helical nock? Yes. I would guess that you could use the helical nock with less fletching and little or zero helical setting on the fletch. I also suspect that it does take energy from the arrow. A chronoscope comparison would be nice to have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.