Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two months and counting..now 7 days

Yesterday marked the two month mark until John and I head back to AK for moose again.

I've been walking 2 - 3 miles a day in boots for a couple months but today was the first day with the 20 pound pack. Boy am I sweaty. LOL

Felt good to put the pack on. Kinda felt like an old friend coming back to visit.

This month will be 3 miles a day with hills with boots and pack. Next month will have 2 days a week at the gym on the stair machine.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
Mike, good thinking, instead of just GOING.
I really enjoyed all the pics & stories you guys posted last year.
Thanks for going to all the trouble & sacrifice............

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Mike it's good to get into shape well before season.
It kills me to have friends go with me elk hunting (I will tell them 6-9 miles a day, then back, is normal) then when we get to hunting and not be in decent shape.
Not including if you get one down.
Yes round is a shape but stamina and endurance is another thing all together.

My job requires a lot of walking normal day is 4 miles, stairs, slopes with carying heavy loads every day, still I need to push the envelope.

Look forward the the story

Chad

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good luck.

I still have 1 year and 2 months before my Alaska moose hunt. I have killed moose before with the rifle and compound bow but this will be my first trip with the recurve. Looking forward to hearing about your equipment,arrows,poundage of bow and broadheads.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,

Yep you can kick back if you feel that's the best way. Unfortunately you may be on a diet when we get to camp if you show up fat and slow. LOL

I'm already putting the menu together but can do some lowcal for you if needed.

Hmmmm, dehydrated lettuce sound good.

Mike

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Wow that's a pretty good workout Mike, keep at it. I've been miserable on trips due to lack of conditioning (hills), takes the fun out of it. As long as nobody suspected you of carrying a bomb, one of those weighted work out vest worn daily all day seems like it would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pack works well as we wear it everywhere when hunting. With just the days stuff it's about 15 pounds or so and when packing meat it's 50+. So getting used to it being there again is a good thing. Now to loose 20 # in the next two months is a challenge.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.