Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who shoots two fingers instead of three and what are the advantages and disadvantages? I shoot three under with very little pressure on the third finger. So, I was just curious. Not an argument, just curious! And yes I have done quite a bit of research.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The biggest disadvantage is that for many people(including me) 2 under results in the string sliding against the bottom of the middle finger in way that causes painful nerve damage - even with a tab.

But for some people it doesnt.

If you like it try it. If you notice the nerve damage start - immediately stop doing it.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Tends to have a floating draw elbow since you can't reference ring finger pressure to determine where it is.

Reactions: Captainkirk and twg

·
Registered
575 Posts
This subject is interesting but I persoanlly
Find if I change anything….anything at all…..it throws me off. I tried shooting split finger before and it was 10x worse than the first time I picked up a recurve. I envy guys that can change things up with little or no effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
split finger ..or one finger over and two under... dependent upon your anchor point can significantly increase your range

Folks please try to ignore the anally retentive and the pedantic

·
Registered
185 Posts
I shoot a fixed cr
Who shoots two fingers instead of three and what are the advantages and disadvantages? I shoot three under with very little pressure on the third finger. So, I was just curious. Not an argument, just curious! And yes I have done quite a bit of research.
Wierd. I seem to be the opposite from most people here in that I have the MOST pressure on my ring finger. So much so I've built up quite a few callouses on my ring finger. I shoot a fixed crawl that's just under 2" below my nock point.

·
finger shooter
3,512 Posts
Alan Eagleton, Scooter and many other great shooters used two under. One of the best ever with compound fingers (Boyd) drew with two and dropped one. I’ve tried it several times but my brain and two fingers created a comedic release.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I switched to two fingers under about a year ago. After looking into it, my thinking was the less fingers touching the string the better, especially with the third finger there to basically relieve string pinch since you're only supposed to apply ~10% pressure. Took a little bit to build up the callus on my middle finger, and I added a layer to my tab to help, but now it's natural. I also trimmed the metal of tab so it fits me better, basically the width of index/middle fingers. For me, I found my release was cleaner and I saw results. A friend at my club switched to two finger after seeing/talking to me about it and shoots that way now too. It's not for everyone though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts