Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bow that is labeled AMO 60. So I got AMO 60 inch string. However, it takes a crazy amount of twists to reach brace height. I'm at 55 twists right now and I'm still a little off. I'm not sure if I should even be twisting the string that much. I have a 1971 Bear Kodiak Hunter. Currently with the 55 twists the brace height is a little short of 7 inches. I've read that brace height should be between 8 and 8.25 inches. I'm assuming that even though my bow is measured at AMO 60 that I need to get a string shorter than AMO 60. Can I just keep twisting the string until I hit the 8 inches even though I'm at 55 twists?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bryan

I am having the same problem with my recurve setup. It recommends a 65" string but to get to the desired brace height I shortened the string to 64".

I would suggest you use the string as a test string and keep twisting the string until you get the desired brace height and then measure and order that string length.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
When strung up ideally a string that is the right length in a flemish string will have about 4 or 5 twists per inch. That is my logic only but I do know too may twists causes the string to become a spring. From being made up my strings have about 20 or so twists.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello.

Lots of bows will take a string that is four inches shorter than the AMO, rather than the official three inches shorter. If you are using a Dacron (B50) string, you may well need a four inch shorter string due to the increased initial stretch on this material.

Fifty five twists is no biggie - you can twist until (as mentioned above) the string becomes more of a ridiculous spring and will coil up on itself when off the bow. Two or three twists per inch is common and shouldn't become a "spring".

So, I agree to go ahead and twist the dickens out of the string to see what it takes to hit your brace. You may find that the twists are reasonable and usable. If it becomes over-twisted to hit brace, then Plan B is a new and shorter string.

If you do re-order a string, specify the actual length of the string you want to the dealer. A good dealer will know what you mean when you explain this to them. Tell them "AMO 60" bow, but I want a 56" actual length string".

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went from a 21" riser to a 19" riser with the same limbs and flemish string. I had to put many twists in it to get it to 8" brace. It was fine for a few days but then the serving started to unravel. I think over twisting it caused the diameter to shrink until the serving loosened. I just bought a string 2" shorter.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
All my bows seem to be shorter than the claimed AMO length and usually require plenty of twisting to get them where I want them.
So if I order a new string now I measure the string I'm using after it's settled in and then order by string length not bow length.
I buy my strings from 3 Rivers and they recommend the method I use, or if no string to measure then they recommend 4 inches under AMO, not 3 inches.

John.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
These are the kinds of problems that made me build my own jig and order a supply of string building materials. Now if I mis-guesstimate the length I can break the string down, adjust the length, and I'm only out a little bit of serving, not another $20 and another week's wait....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I suppose all these suggestions pertain to a recurve and not an American semi-long bow long bow. That being said... 3 Rivers suggests that a recurve string be 4" shorter than the stated AMO. I find that to be just about perfect, particularly if the string is a B-50 Dacron.
Another thing I've learned is that there are different designations for Dacron strings. i.e. the numerical designation of a Dacron string suggests the draw weight with which that particular string should be used I. e. B-50 Dacron = a 50# bow a B- 40 Dacron = a 40# bow etc..
This is not to say that a B-50 cannot be used on a 40# bow [ it will most probably be a mite slower ] or a B-40 cannot be used on a 50# bow I know that the heaver string [ B-50] can be used on a 40# bow but am in the dark about a B-40 being used on a 50# bow. However since FF strings have less strands than a Dacron string.[In this instance] I assume that it would be safe to use the lesser count Dacron on the 50# bow. If I am mistaken about this, please someone correct me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cyrille,

B50 is simply a model designation. I believe it is the only Dacron material currently offered by Brownell. You build the string with a strand count (such as 10, 12, 14, 16, etc.) appropriate for the bow's weight, and B50 can be used on a bow of any poundage (just as the low-stretch materials can).

The individual strand's "break strength" rating come into play to obtain the most efficient and safe strand count for a particular bow's weight. The strand's diameter also comes into play when you want to accomplish an adequate strand count in combination with a particular serving's diameter.

Cruise Lancaster's site and look at the specs for all the different string materials (the print catalog will give it to you in a single glance over a couple of pages). They also print a generic recommended strand count for each material, although this is variable based upon bow weight and personal taste.

You can hot-rod any string with differing strand count as long as you at least have a safe minimum that will suit the bow's weight (as well as ensuring that the loops are thick enough to avoid damage to the bow's tips). Some like the uber-skinny builds with padded loops, others like ample girth throughout the entire string.

It's vast ... and very cool to study and experiment with.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always order from an actual string length. I've ordered through AMO length, and gotten strings the same length as the bow(60" string for 60" bow). That's from the major distributors though. String makers would know better, but I'm just more comfortable giving actual string length.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do I measure string length? Would I just go from loop to loop or from before the loops. Strung, unstrung? Stretched?

I'm gonna measure it once I twist it to an 8 inch brace. Currently at 7.5 with 70 twists - _ -

·
Registered
106 Posts
Strung to proper brace, measure the string from string notch to string notch and add one inch to that measurement. This should get you into the proper ballpark to make an intelligent purchase.

Google up Rick Barbee Strings. He details (with pictures and video) several methods for obtaining the proper string measurement.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would also put a post on Archery Talk in Traditional section or even Tradgang.com and just ask the guys that shoot that bow what string length they have on the bow for that brace. I like some twists in the string, more for Flemish, less for endless loop, but 55 seems like an awful lot.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sadly, there is no hard and fast rule for string length. Heck, if you measure several bows marked as the same length you will find differences in their actual lengths as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
These are the kinds of problems that made me build my own jig and order a supply of string building materials. Now if I mis-guesstimate the length I can break the string down, adjust the length, and I'm only out a little bit of serving, not another $20 and another week's wait....
^ THIS

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 👍🇺🇸
Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You can guess forever and still get it wrong. Folks here suggested that I build a test string, I did and it saved me a ton of time. I took an old string, cut it, looped the tag ends, and used a ratchet strap in the middle to bring my bow to the recommended minimum brace and able to take an actual measurement of the string. So far I've hit every target brace on 5 strings....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.