Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
out of curiosity i have twisted a limb crooked, but not enough to reverse the string, and shot the bow through a shooting machine. they pretty much just shot one hole in the paper. of course thats with a mechanical release.
one thing to remember. if a bow is old enough to be glued with hide glue, urac, it needs heat to straighten it. if the bow is glued with epoxy, any brand commonly used for archery bows, you do not need to apply heat.
epoxy has glue creep built into the product because it never sets to total hardness like urac did. you can bend any modern limb out of plane and it will stay there until you bend it back if it's glued with epoxy. thats why builders try to insist you use a stringer properly.

· Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
when we had 3-m fiberglass we could glue it with urac and it made an almost bulletproof bow. when they pulled out of the archery market in the early sixties and gordon bo-tuff became the only viable glass for bows, we all had to switch to epoxy. we started with ren and at the time i left the industry we had been using only smooth-on for several years. we had a very sophisticated glue up process that measured the actual heat in the glue lines, so we could control the process to get the best cure possible for the type adhesive we used.
i would imagine that everyone was forced into epoxy by 1970 unless they were not using fiberglass.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.