Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone considering dedicating their spring turkey season to the bent stick? i kill birds fairly regularly with a shotgun, but am 0 for against them with bows...missed 13 total, i think. bird i shot last spring was about 11 feet away when i pulled the trigger; if younger, i might have had a chance with a knife or hatchet, lol. i refuse to sit in a blind, although hiding behind a few shrubs/oak tree seems okay. maybe this will be my year???

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
ive shot 6. in my opinion without a blind is like pissing in the wind. You might not get any on you, but there's a lot more calm days then there are stupid turkeys.

if you have a bow and no blind and theyre 11 feet, thats worse. you still have to get to full draw.

bowmania

·
Registered
710 Posts
Not saying it can't be/hasn't been done, but anyone I know who's successful at it uses spacious blinds, decoys and <5 yd. shots. YMMV. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ditto to the above posts. If you've got the time; the birds patterned; a good blind location and good decoys, fine. Still I'd want one bird with a shotgun first. I've taken some birds with a shotgun that in retrospect could, in theory, have been taken with a bow. But the shot setup could not have been expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The way you have to hunt gets tedious because the places you can set up are so much more limited than with a gun.

Haven't tried it with blind and dekes because I'd just as soon go to the grocery store and buy a butterball. Same for going really primitive using bait or other methods that were used pre-Columbus.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
A silly question from someone who's never hunted for turkeys:

Would a stand, or even better, a saddle, work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can pattern them and hunt like deer, if that's what you mean. Travel path to and from roost can be predictable. Kinda missing out though. The fun is getting down on their level and fooling them in close.

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Next week, I’ll be heading out turkey hunting with my oldest son. He’s adamant on using my shotgun. I keep telling him it’s my bow or nothing.
he doesn’t understand I don’t care if I bag a turkey it’s the time spent with him. He’s killed more turkeys on my tag when he was first starting out, think he has 7 with shotgun, I only have 2 with bow and one with shotgun
we will use decoys and maybe a natural blind, depending on the set.

Chad

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Oh yes. I appreciate the mindset.

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Well can’t seem to get a video to load
So stills are going to have to work.
I’m busted bad and Phone focuses on weeds in front of me.
video is even better

So close lol

Chad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another alternative to a shotgun: ;)

AFAIK this nock volley guns had been popular in the 19th century, but alway been quite expensive.

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Nice gun, if I had that it wouldn’t be in the field.
I had a Jake at 20 yards but only his head was visible and he didn’t like what he seen. It was a good day out with my son

Chad

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m gonna give it a try with the longbow. I be killed 2 with gun , 1 with the compound. I know it’s a long shot but , good way to spend time in the woods with my boy& bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can't bring myself to sit in a pop up blind being tall and shooting a 66" bow. I am going to give it a go with a brush blind again this year. I think the past couple years hunting field edges has been an issue. Makes you stand out like crazy even with a brush blind. I found a nice group deep in our hardwoods this winter and will be building a blind in the briars and blowdown and try to get them into the clearing for a shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve hunted turkeys since 1983, lost count of how many I’ve taken with my dad’s 80-year old 16 gauge, and have hunted without blinds or decoys the whole time. I prefer run and gun and haven’t worn camo in many years.
I’m going to hunt out of a blind with my HH longbow this spring, however. I’ve missed several with longbow when shooting from a sitting or standing position at the bases of trees. I’ve not had trouble getting drawn on them, but am so surprised when I get to full draw that I’ve always rushed the shot. You have more time than you’d think, but you must be deliberate and calm. I’ve not been 😞.
So, I’ll be mostly in a blind this year so that perhaps I can get one under my belt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts