Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have tried to do this and have success with getting the spine correct by trimming and point weight.

The problem comes with nock high/low. I have a feeling it's to do with the arrow length. It seems the longer the arrow the higher the nock set needs to be.

These arrows were shot at 20 yards without changing anything on the bow, you can see the spines are correct laterally but they all are different nock high/ low.

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,721 Posts
Are those arrow of the same spine?
I'm trying to tune my bow for GT 400 and PSE 500.
some days ago I found they fly pretty well at 10 meters, I will try again today.

Martin

·
Registered
173 Posts
you can definitely do that i do it for 3d where i want a longer arrow and flatter flight to minimize gaps i then have a shorter arrow with a heavier point that hits harder for hunting the are different spines the way spine is measured but by cutting and changing point weight i cna get them both tuned.

Martin i would say at 10 meters most bareshafts will fly pretty well and its not a great distance for tuning in fact for me i often have perfect bare shaft flight to 18-20 yards grouping right with my fletched shafts but if i step to 22-25 its an entirely different story it just takes time for the arrow to show the differences, so try to tune as far back as you can accurately group shots. for me this is usually my point on distance as this also largely eliminates any gapping estimation errors i may be making shot to shot which would be my nock point height tell.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Could be the different nocks in my experience.

Grant

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I would suggest that those arrows aren't 'tuned' without knowing where a fletched shaft of the same spine impacts. You may find that a particular spine will not fly where you're looking even though flying straight. Read www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html.

As to the up and down of the nock. That's very dependent on string torque. Plus add in the different diameter of the arrow and you MAY have your answer. Again comparing impact points with a fletched shaft goes a long way to answer questions.

"You get tuning confirmation when paper, bare shaft PLANNING, and bare shaft kick-out all agree." A quote from Viper, but he didn't capitalize planning.

Bowmania

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
These arrows were all tuned comparing BS to fletched out to 30 yards.

I just posted the pictures so it was easier to compare the arrows all at once.

I know you have more experience than me but when I use shaft kick out at 20 yards, it will almost guarantee me of the spine.

Once they were tuned the nock set was put to the middle of the extremes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.