Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be interested in opinions - do you tune to support best form or best result on target? My guess is that it's a 'depends" answer but I'm curious what you guys have got to say.

Context is that i injured my string finger thumb a few weeks back & have made some anchor changes that have also resulted in tighter string hand fingers ... the irony is that with this modification I'm more consistent even though I come off the string with a bit of a pluck & lose a bit of DL -> arrows Rt & low but but group better ... I'm more consistent with this at this point than with better form (see pic).

So the question is do you support consistency over improved form? My bias is to continue the quest for better form but at some point I reckon the advacntage gets outweighed - Thx - M.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have tried it both ways and for me it is better to get a shot based on good form. The aiming part of the shot becomes much easier once you shoot with consistent good form.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I guess you know what my answer is. :). Good form is now in my past. Bone on bone is no longer cushioned with cartilage. Getting your head around for a closed stance would require a chiropractic effort.

You have to strengthen all the muscles you are not supposed to use. It gets ugly but

http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/rustytxrx/media/doubleclutch_zps8ef36b9f.mp4.html

The points are still what counts. Doing it wrong exactly the same every time is form :). If your worst shots score?? It ain't all bad.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I usually shoot split vision/ gapping. I normally tune to get my POI where I'm looking. Sometimes, and this has been a great source of frustration to me, this means my bareshaft is not even close to my fletched group.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I tune to get my bareshaft as close to my fletched as I can at 20 yards. I attempt to shoot my form as consistently as possible, shooting every bow with the same form, and tune the bow and arrow combination to me. I have found that "tuning" my form to the bow/arrow is a train wreck waiting to happen.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
I tune for form. If I need to change my point on I will change arrows or limbs, which, by the way, I do, even in the middle of a FITA.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I try to tune the bow to shoot where I'm looking, with good form.
The points will come later.

The new bow I've just started with is zinging my bow arm a bit, but I've also gained half an inch in draw length to go with it.

My father in law, an ex FITA coach says both are because my form has improved.
Who am I to argue 8^).

John.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx all - if I read this right looks to be about a 2-1 for find a consistent form & then tune the bow to it to get thecarrow where you want it to be vs the opposite - M

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thx all - if I read this right looks to be about a 2-1 for find a consistent form & then tune the bow to it to get thecarrow where you want it to be vs the opposite - M
That's what I was trying to say. Tune the bow/arrow to your consistent form. I've "tuned" longbows by short drawing, canting, snap shooting etc... It works for a while then it all goes to h.......

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I will say this:

99% of the time you want to maintain form and adjust the bow/arrows. The exception would be if you are getting the fletched and bare into the same group but the bow isn't shooting inline with the point. That has always indicated a form problem for me.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
The point of impact should always be inline with the point of the arrow at anchor. If you have to aim off one direction or the other then something is amiss.

-Grant

Reactions: UrbanDeerSlayer

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More snow yet again ... decided to stick to my guns & push for better form before I fix the final tune - looking at Grant's comment I realized that this trashed thumb's upside is in improving the inline set up - in this case eye-nock-point alignment ... now I just have to get consistent rhomboid tesnsion... TBC as always - M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts