Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a string walking system worked out that I was toying with. I built a jake turkey decoy that mounts on the front of the bow. I did this thinking I had to get really close to a turkey with a recurve and that somehow I had to camo my movements. So I mounted the decoy in full strut, hole to see through in the same place as my arrow. So if a tom approached, I would just walk on my knees toward him, hid behind the decoy, looking down my shaft, ready to shoot not concerned with movement. But, I had to install a rest rather than off the shelf to get my broadhead clearence. [blades over my decoys head]. Nothing else was changed except nocking point ht. This changed my crawl. adding app 1 inch to everything distance. With the decoy off the bow, it was the same. I don't understand if a reason exist for this. I would assume that since I am looking down the arrow, bow the same speed, all would be close to the same.????

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The weight of your decoy probably changed the tune of your bow or the extra weight was causing you to drop your bow arm....in any case, sounds like a good way to get shot right between the eyes by another hunter!

Take care!

Don

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called my friends, those adjoining land owners and told them to watch out for me, not to shoot me. When I carried it, by riser pointing down, you could hardly see it. But I was concerned about tresspassers. I will see if I can get pics from my phone uploaded. I had no luck once before but will try it again.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thought was that I needed to get really close
so I figured that there was no way to hide my movements
so with this, I will not try to hide the movement,
yet will have to worry about tresspassers

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've seen similar setups that were successful with a shotgun, don't see why this wouldn't work well with the bow. No way I'd use it on Game Lands but on private land it might be OK. I think I'd incorporate some orange flagging tape on it though, either on the decoy itself or streaming from the limb tips. Way too many idiots out there just dying to kill something....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last week I set up on a gas line, had birds gobbling not to far,
I was on a gas line, very visiable. I sat in the edge of the woods
so I tied orange streamers to the limbs around me. No bird came,
must have already had hens but the plan was once the
bird came into sight to crawl towards the bird
as if to challenge him, but leaving the oarnge streamers.
Raining to hard this Saturday morning to be crawling

1 - 20 of 21 Posts