Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone been useing or have owned and recommend in trekking poles , gaiters , and snake gaiters . I currently own and use the Peax sissy stix backcountry elite . Anybody for instance been useing the cheap Costco branded ones which they swear by ? Best buy, bang for the buck ? Lika / Black Diamond ? Fiber pole tops , aluminum bottoms ?

For gaiters I use the Storm Castle gaiter from Peax also . I can say my decision on the trekking poles and Storm castle gaiter was biased upon watching the " Gritty podcast " . What you own or been useing if any .

As for snake gaiters last three seasons been useing a $43 dollar Knight & Hale Real Tree snake gaiters from Amazon . Inside a small tag says " made in ch-na " . They have held up well , down here in Fla swamps etc .
What have you folks out there been useing ?

Maybe even you gents currently out west in the field see this and can chime in on what you actually useing , hands on , on your hunt(s) if any ?

Amazon.com : Knight & Hale Real Tree Snake Gaiters - OD Green, One Size (KHT0094) : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
265 Posts
I own the Knight & Hale snake gaiters and used them until I got dedicated Danner Vital snake boots that feel more like tennis shoes. The K&H ones seem a little shorter than I like, but I am 6'2". I still keep them if I need to throw them over some regular hiking boots.

Nothing seems to feel adequate when you are in striking range of a pit viper. First hunt in Lousiana last season, a timber rattler was under my deer stand. Talk about wake you up. It is hard to see them going in early with red headlamp.
Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Wood Deciduous
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Wood
Twig Amber Art Deciduous Tints and shades

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the cheap Costco fiber poles. no sense in me spending a ton of money on them since I rarely have a pair last more than a season. using them to tie up rain tarps when glassing or to keep antlers from ruining a pack. As far as gaiters go kenktrek gaiters later in the season to keep rain from wicking down into my boots. Snake gaiters no need here my reflexes turn 30 years younger at the sound of a rattle snake.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, cheap Amazon poles….i use the short Kuiu gaiters just to keep thorns out and my socks from wicking moisture down into my boot. There isn’t that many snakes where I hunt except in a couple spots.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone looking for really good trekking poles on the cheap . One of my sons owns the CamoFire Crest Carbon Trek Poles . He bought them thru "Amzn " $78 delivered , tax included . They are carbon with abit longer handles . I have treid them , I like them , really strong and lite . I found them also very user friendly . Besides functional they really look nice , they have on them dark grey/brown etc dark color carbon with inch and three quarters " Elk heads " on each pole.

Amazon.com: Camofire Crest Carbon Trekking Poles-Carbon : Everything Else

On my Peax sissy stix backcountry elites , the bottom pole is aluminum , with two carbon poles on top . The hardware and baskets are second too none .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Turtleskins are my favorite snake gaiters. We don’t get much snow down here in North GA so I wear them year round. Light as a feather to the point where I’m not even aware of them. It’s cheap insurance compared to a few vials of Crofab.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts