Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my Feather Rest on tonight. I like it alot. Only thing I wasnt sure about is the double stick tape so I added a bit of instabond around it. Hopefully this holds up for many years of shooting. The arrow sits nicely on the rest and I love how Trap angles towards the sidewall so your arrow seats better then just a flat top where it can fall off easy. I will be shooting it Tuesday to give it a try. Going to give the instabond time to cure. Here are some Photos.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
I like the feather rests, mine are not TRAPs brand, no taper to them.
Good luck with yours, mine do not last real well......but are cheap and easy to replace.
I'm not currently using any, but I like them.....and I keep a few on hand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve I highly recommend trap he was a great guy to deal with and he didnt know me from adam. Sent him an email and he was prompt with replying to all my questions and had the rest to me in 2 days. Was awesome. If you want his contact info hit me up on PM.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I shoot off of Daryl's, (Trap on TG), rests on a couple of bows. I've never had an issue with the tape pulling loose. Prep with alcohol, then peel and stick. They work great and look correct to the period on older recurves, (in my case, a Bear and a Wing). James

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good. BTW I've never had a TRAP rest come off.
Yeah it was more for my own piece of mind. me and double sided tape have never gotten along. Plus I had to reposition it several times before I set it so my knife blade was under it a few times. =) I think its good to go now and i feel better about it. Red I owe ya one for this recommendation thanks again buddy.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Are these for bows that are cut past center? It seems like it

Sent from up in an oak tree
No, they have been used on old Bears like '59 Kodiaks since '59. You place them where you want them on any bow no matter where it's cut to center. So happens the Titan III is cut past center 3/16" of an inch and you need to build out the strike plate. Then you place your rest.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, they have been used on old Bears like '59 Kodiaks since '59. You place them where you want them on any bow no matter where it's cut to center. So happens the Titan III is cut past center 3/16" of an inch and you need to build out the strike plate. Then you place your rest.
or in my case throw on the Furniture pad and call it good. shoots great. I shot for about an hour last night in my back yard at 20 yards. I may need to adjust my nock point a bit but I need to get into the range so I have a good view of the arrow flight. The back yard was to busy to see how the arrow flight was.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know what I wasn't thinking, I have one on my 59' grizzly. Anyone know where I can get a red one?

Sent from up in an oak tree

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have been mulling over a feather rest and was wondering how well they last. After a year do you have to replace them our can you get years of life out of them?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have been mulling over a feather rest and was wondering how well they last. After a year do you have to replace them our can you get years of life out of them?

Mine have been on my bows for years and I sold a '59 Shakespeare with anb original rest to a guy who is still shooting it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do the feather rests fare in the rain? Do they flatten like fletchings and need to be treated?
I asked Trap the maker of the rest that same question. Here was his answer.

The rain seems to be the question most serious critics have.

I hunt hard and hunt in all conditions. The rest is made of feathers and they will lay down just like feather fletching will. They recover quicker because they are much shorter.

If I'm caught in a downpour, I'd likely not take a shot at anything I want to kill unless it's a true slam dunk. Blood trails are gone in an instant and I don't like losing game.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Aaron I did some serious research on the rest before I contacted Trap. Everyone that I have talked to that uses the rest says they have been shooting his feather rest for years. Ive got about 250 shots through mine and not 1 single sign of any wear at all. Im confident that this rest will last me many years. Only thing I can say that will damage the rest is if you try and shoot vanes instead of feathers. Im not sure why youd want to do that anyway.

The flight of my arrows is superb. The arrows glide off from the bow as if it was made to work that way. :shooting:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought mine from 3-Rivers a few months ago. Today, I noticed the 2nd vane in from the left (RH rest) was torn out. Just a little left at the front. I shoot 3-under and am wondering what I did wrong. I really like the rest. I'm gonna order another one, but don't want it to happen again. Any of you have this experience? BTW, I shoot 4-fletch and haven't been particular about where I line up the fletches. I'm shootn' better than I deserve with it and like the 'no noise' aspect and that the 'angle' towards the bow holds my arrow still when I wiggle.

Thanks in advance,
GLH

Hello again. I believe, with the help of Sam at 3-Rivers, my problem has been solved, although I'll need a new rest. I have an old bag target and I've gone fletch deep several times in the center (lucky shots). Anyway, it pulled the front ends of the feathers back on several of my arrows and I didn't notice and continued shooting them. The sharp points of the feathers are probably the culprits and one literally passed through the rest at the right spot and ripped up the one vane in the rest. So, I'm regluing the front of my fletching and trying to turn the arrows so that none of the feathers hit the rest on their way by. Cool Beans.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts