Trad Talk Forums banner

Tradtech wood/glass limbs?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  field point 
#1 ·
Does anyone own any of the Tradtech wood glass recurve limbs? I'm referring to the wood patterned ones not the Blackmax wood/glass.

I already own the 35lb med. blackmax wood/glass limbs on a 21" Excel riser and am interested in getting some 55lb ones for hunting, but Lancaster is backordered on those and not expecting them in stock for quite a long time.

Is there any real difference in construction or performance between the Blackmax and the other Tradtech wood/glass limbs(other than the traditional looking ones running $50 more)? Lancaster has the other limbs in stock in a medium length at 55lbs so I'm contemplating buying them instead, anyone have any info to share?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 · (Edited)
Ok, quick update for anyone that may be interested. As it seems by the lack of responses that no one knows much about these other Tradtech wood/glass limbs, I phoned Lancaster and inquired about them and was told that they should functionally be the same as the Blackmax limbs, only difference being clear fiberglass as opposed to the black fiberglass on the Blackmax, construction/components are the same otherwise.

Of course they are also $50 more, but given the back order of the B.M. limbs in the heavier weights I may give the clear fiberglass limbs a try(debating whether or not the natural wood look of the limbs will look good on my Excel Blackout riser, I think they would. Would be even better if I could find a nice wood grip to replace the stock plastic one that came on the riser).

If I do get them, I'll post my impressions of them(for what it's worth, given that I am a rookie still and have only ever shot my 35lb Blackmax limbs to compare against).

Anyone have any other recurve limbs (in the 50-55lb range) they'd recommend for a hunting set up that fall in the $200 or lower price point? I need a minimum of 40lbs to legally hunt big game in British Columbia, and given the abundance of moose and elk in my neck of the woods, I figure I might be better served with the 55lb limbs over the legal minimum of 40lbs(realizing of course that accuracy trumps speed, but I won't hunt with them this year if I'm not comfortable with my accuracy coming hunting season, I have enough rifles to get by if needed).

*Edit: lol, now that I've actually read this whole post, I see it isn't really a "quick update", apologies for carrying on a bit.

#3 ·
I figure you will be OK whether you go for the wood grain looks or black. I've owned several sets of tradtech limbs and they are all good. Appearance being the only difference. The wood grain against a black riser would look good. The wood grain being of various shades would accent the black in my opinion. I'd say go for it. As far as weight, I'd be more comfortable with 50 pounds if you can shoot them accurately. A bit more weight is never a bad thing. For your price range, I would stay with the tradtech. They are good limbs and you won't be disappointed.

#4 ·
Thanks John. I'm looking at the 55lb limbs as I believe the Tradtech limbs are made for a 17" riser and my Excel is 21" so I'm thinking I'll lose about 4lbs there. I agree that something in the 50+lb range is probably best for large game(given that I can shoot them well). Appreciate your response.

#6 ·
I've got the TT wood/glass longbow limbs in a 21" Excel and they perform very well. The only thing I don't like about them is they require a fairly high brace to be stable, but quality is excellent.

#7 ·
There is a set of xq1 limbs on the trade blanket right now that will out perform the wood/glass limbs for a little less than what you are talking. Might be worth a look.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#9 ·
TradTech limbs are in high demand. When I bought my bow, I shot the mediums vs longs and wood/glass vs carbons. I found the carbons to be a bit quieter with less vibration. I don't know if a bit of fine tuning would have resolved this or not. I found more of a difference in the length than anything else. That was for 40# limbs and my 29" draw.
Like you I am looking for a new set of limbs. In my case I bought a set of 45# long carbons but would like to trade them on a set of 35# long carbons. Just not a lot being let go right now.

#10 ·
Yes, the tradtech limbs do seem to be in pretty high demand, all sold out at LAS(at least the Blackmax) in the weights I want and none showing up on the trading blanket either.

I actually followed up on the suggestion by Bowbender Mike above and bought the Win and Win XQ1 limbs he mentioned were up for grabs on the trading blanket, looking forward to their arrival. Thanks again Mike!

Now to find some new arrow shafts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.