Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a set of Tradtech limbs. I understand that the weight rating is based on a 17" riser but is it the top or bottom of the range?

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
When limbs are rated at a certain draw is the manufactory trying to tell you something?

Will a TT limb rated at 17" give you same energy as the same draw weight limb (that would be -8# the draw I guess) manufactured for a 25" riser?

I know a lot about the reverse but little about short risers to long risers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a set of Trad Tech BF Extreme's rated at 45# on a 17" riser. On my 25" Nilo I get between 35 & 39 pounds depending on the limb bolt position.
Rick

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
On my Hoyt Game Master 2 (21" riser) with a 27.5" DL...

Short BM Glass/Wood: 25# >> 23# on my DL
Medium BM Carbon/Wood: 45# >> 41# on my DL

Limb angles also play a part in changing the numbers.

·
Barebow recurve
944 Posts
In my experience, Trad Tech limbs tend to run a few pounds heavier than expected, like if they were measured with the limb bolts backed out.

I suspect that limb angles on the riser have a big impact too, so one riser of the same length may differ from another of the same length.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
As Dave mentioned Trad Tech limbs are rated at minimum setting.
They only increase from there. Border is another one.
Other limb manufacturers have there setting in the middle of the weight rating.
With those you can increase and decrease the poundage a few pounds.

Erich

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, I've read that the limb pocket angle of their 17" riser is the equivalent of a 21" riser to everyone else. So, if you stick to the losing 1 lb/inch per 1 inch of riser increase, a 30lb limb on a TT would be 30 lbs on a 21" riser of another maker, or 28 lbs on a 23" riser, not the 24 lbs you'd expect.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, I've read that the limb pocket angle of their 17" riser is the equivalent of a 21" riser to everyone else. So, if you stick to the losing 1 lb/inch per 1 inch of riser increase, a 30lb limb on a TT would be 30 lbs on a 21" riser of another maker, or 28 lbs on a 23" riser, not the 24 lbs you'd expect.
Titan has the same 15* limb angle as the 17" DAS/Dalaa.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Marked poundage is minimum on 17" riser but....
15" riser adds about 2# and 19 riser loses about 2#
Limbs have 10" adjustment in addition to minimum poundage. That max poundage comes when ILF limb bushing are touching the riser. Then back them off three complete turns and you are at minimum poundage setting.
In my case, 40# long limbs on a 19" riser give me 42# at 28" with limb bushing touching riser (max) and 38# (min) with the limb bolts backed out three turns.
I am sure there is some variance due to individual limbs, especially due to shorts vs mediums vs longs as well as the riser lengths and other manufacturers.
I understand that Hoyts are marked for max poundage and can be adjusted 10% lower but I do not know the riser length they use as a standard.
Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts