TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a set of 40# long limbs for my Samick Discovery and came on to these Tradtech Black Max 2.0. They had good reviews but I’m wondering is the carbon worth the extra money over the glass?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would say no. I had a set of the 2.0 45# med in glass and a 45# set in carbon . The carbon was only 3 fps faster on my Discovery riser and they felt much stiffer. The std 2.0 were very smooth.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I to agree that there's not much benefit in the extra carbon in the TT BM2.0 limbs.
I found the standard wood glass BM 2.0 limbs to be quieter and easier to tune.

It's not until you spend about 2x of the BM 2.0 carbon wood limbs that you get a better bump in performance, smoothness and overall feel.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,461 Posts
It only takes one layer of carbon to call it a carbon limb. As such, you will see more performance and stability improvement when higher end limbs that use mostly, or all carbon. A low cost limb with carbon usually has one or two layers which does not do a lot. The same applies to foam cores. Foam on lower cost limbs does not provide much of a performance boost, if any at all. Low end foam can have the same density as wood and not reduce the weight of the limbs.

·
Spearhead
3,283 Posts
Performance gain from maple to carbon will not be that much.
Where you will see the carbon limb benefit is in stability in the limb with temperature changes. Elk hunting in Wy temperature in the morning is usually freezing or a bit below, where in the afternoon it’s in the 70’s
The carbon limb will be more stable than the wood glass limb.

Chad

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got my Samick Discovery I bought 35# and 45# carbon foam limbs, the 45# for hunting. It just seems the 45# is too much. I shoot my Sage with 40# limbs and shoot that fine. I would never think 5# would make that much difference.
What got me looking at the glass/wood limbs is that my Samick Sage limbs seem much quieter than my carbo/foam Discovery limbs. My thoughts are unless I’m willing to pay 400.00-500.00 dollars for limbs (which I’m not) limbs in the 150.00+will do.

·
Spearhead
3,283 Posts
Carbon foam limbs have a different sound all together, I find wood/carbon to be quieter than carbon foam. With your limb weight being harder to draw with only 5 pounds difference, if your limbs are from a different manufacturer they might be measured weight with tiller bolts at different positions, full in, mid or all out. Possibly at shorter draw length or riser length. Also shorts will feel stiffer than longs or mediums, have you scaled your limbs to make sure weight is as marked.
Just some possibilities

Chad

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^ I checked the poundage, I also thought of seeing what happens turning the limb bolts out on my 45# limbs but would rather have quieter limbs for hunting.

·
Haybale Hunter
256 Posts
I have the maple/glass limbs and I absolutely love them. They are my favorite limb. Not the fastest but very smooth draw and a nice feel. They dont sound 'artificial' like so many limbs do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have both Black Max glass/wood and carbon/wood. I like them both but like others said, not a big enough difference to matter. I did hear the Black Max BF Extremes were a noticable difference, in price and performance, although I have not shot them. I have been a pretty boring limb guy, all I have owned for the last 10 years are Black Max limbs. Mine are the original Black Max made by Sammick, not the newer 2.0 by Win & Win.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my Tradtech limbs today and am very happy with them. They appear to be of good quality, draw smooth and shoot well, that’s all I wanted.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
For most shooters the carbon/wood is a good limb.
I am in the group that prefers the carbon cores and laminates. From a speed perspective tge top end limbs don't yield performance in relationship to the price.
But having shot them, I can't go back. My favorite is the Border Hex 9h on Covert Hunter, with their CV9 being my favorite ILF.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After doing some research i found a carbon limb needs very little carbon to be a carbon limb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's an old post on AT where Lancaster posted velocity tests for the Black Max fiberglass , the Fiber/Carbon and BF Extremes . If I remember correctly the carbon limbs were about 5fps faster then the glass only and the BF's were 5 fps faster than the fiber/carbon limbs. The tests showed the draw weight
and velocity changes at 28,29 and 30 inch draws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts