Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the threads about last weekend's Trad Worlds shoot, I was thinking about some of the posts that commented on the cost of shooting Trad 3-D...And in my personal experience, and comparison to other Sports/Hobbies, shooting Trad Archery is still cheap, or at least relatively inexpensive....I have several buddies that have nice bassboats, and nice trucks to pull them around...These boats have rod lockers full of high end rods/reels, and enough tackle boxes to re-stock a small tackle store...A G. Loomis rod and Calcutta reel cost very close to the same as a mid level ILF riser, and decent limbs, as an example..One of my buddies has the better part of $100 K in his Bass fishing "Equipment"...;)...Golf isn't cheap,and I have several buddies that rode Dirt bikes, either as a hobby, or competitively...A $60.00 entry fee to a top level Tourney in any Sport is dirt cheap these days...Looking at the wide range of bows/arrows from last weekend, it's easy to see that an Archer doesn't need to spend a big chunk of money to be competitive, and all the accessories needed are still dirt cheap as well....At least in Archery, it's STILL mostly the ability of the "Shooter" to make good scores happen, vs. and Equipment race, as in other Sports/Hobbies...Take any of the top 10 shooters in any class from last weekend, I'll hand them my old Hoyt Radian,(built in 1995) and a set of decent wood/glass limbs, and 1/2 dz. mid level carbon arrows, and I'm betting that they will still shoot in the top 10..Archer's dedication and ability trump all other things, no doubt....Biggest cost for most folks is Travel/Lodging, and that aint Archery's fault...Just my opinion, but it seems to me that Archery is still relatively inexpensive in comparison to many things nowadays...Take care.........Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, Trad is pretty inexpensive.........built this 23 years ago,and still run it.... in a show it burns 3 gallons of fuel a minute...2 min rounds, 3-4 rounds per show..couldn't even guess how many shows it's been in....a LOT of em......never figured it up but I just bet I've spent more to fuel it than to build it.....sure is fun and fast too.......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I work with a number of guys that drink an smoke pot a lot,but can't always pay the rent or Travel anywhere near what I do..
I spend my money on Archery,Fishing and motorcycles,but can't afford to waste either my life or my money on booze an drugs.
Oddly enough most of those guys make either the same money as me or more.
And they tell me I'm lucky to have what I do.

Archery costs me very little in comparison to my fishing or my bike.
Go figure !

John.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another very expensive sport is sporting clays. At the club I work at I have seen guys with shotguns in the 30 grand range, one time we had holland and holland come out and the guns they had were 90+ grand not only is the gun expensive but you have the cost of shells as well and to get good you go through a lot of them... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts