Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried the Toxic BH yet? Going to hunt with a 45# recurve this season. Figured I might try a diff BH also, I usually use cut on contact instead of chisel tip. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chisel or trocar tips cause the animal more pain regardless of where you hit it.
Which results in them running further.
Poke yourself with one then a genuinely sharp blade an see which one hurts the most.
There's quite a difference.

John.
I haven't bought any as of yet. I have always used cut on contact. I hadn't thought about the pain factor, :thankyou:. What got me interested was the bigger wound and faster blood loss (cant run far with no blood supply). I have seen some you tube videos showing excellent blood loss/trails, all compound shooters, so I am curious if any one has used them with a recurve.
I now use Zwickey 2 blade 135's through my compound and like them. Just curious about Toxic. I might just have to "Buy and Try". If I do I will post "My" exp here. Mind you I shoot 45 lb recurve so I realize heavier bows may have different results

·
Bart Harmeling
3,547 Posts
Wouldn't be my choice either. Here are some things I look for in a BH.

Cut on contact tip for maximum penetration.

3 to 1 length to width ratio for maximum penetration.

Easily sharpened in the field. Dull BH's don't work well, and they get dull just sitting in a quiver. Must be able to keep them sharp with tools carried in my pocket or backpack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't be my choice either. Here are some things I look for in a BH.

Cut on contact tip for maximum penetration.

3 to 1 length to width ratio for maximum penetration.

Easily sharpened in the field. Dull BH's don't work well, and they get dull just sitting in a quiver. Must be able to keep them sharp with tools carried in my pocket or backpack.
Had forgotten the Sharpening factor. I do carry a sharpening stone for my Zwickey's although cant say I've ever used it in the field while hunting I always check and touchup before heading out. But it's always there if needed. Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
125 gr Snuffer with a 44# recurve shot completely through a whitetail from stem to stern; shot it from the ground and went 15 yrs piled-up. More dragging w/ less tracking, which would you rather do?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I agree with the rest of the fellas who commented before me. Cut on contact....it is a time tested, PROVEN method. I shoot either my PSAIII Autumn Oak Black Widow 3 piece take down which is 58" and 45# @ 28". Using a cut on contact I have a lot of complete pass thru shots over the years. I do the same with my Tomahawk Diamond SS Longbow which is 64" and 50# @ 28". Plenty enough power....your arrow set up is every bit as important as your bow...if not more so....the broadhead IS important in the equation. My broadhead preferences based on MY experience are Bear Razorheads, Zwickey...Eskimos and Deltas, Howard Hills, Snuffers, Woodsman....in no particular order. I am somewhat bias toward the Zwickey Deltas....they put a BIG hole in the deer....both entry and exit...which equates to what is normally a well defined blood trail. They are lethal....ask anyone who has used them.Good luck...Happy trails.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Daniel L, I think if you look at this broadhead , you can answer your own question.

People will shoot anything. I look at that and think that it's the second or third last broadhead I'd choose. Rage being the first. (my dog and I have been on a little over 20 Rage blood trails and have found 2 animals).

The wheel has never been re-invented and neither will a COC, long broadhead. Wonder why the keep trying with the BH and don't with the wheel?

Bowmania

·
Registered
264 Posts
trocar tipped broadheads like muzzy originals work fine, however, this toxic head is not very impressive to me, looks like it would rob tons of energy from your arrow with nothing to really gain out of it. the guys that are shooting them with wheels are most likely shooting 70#bows with arrows going over 300 fps, with that set up you could probably get a pass though with a dull gravel point.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
So why do the chisel/trocar type tips exist if the cut on contact are so superior?

I mean, what's their advantage or purpose of the trocar tips?
They have those tips so they can retain the replaceable blades. Not everyone can sharpen a blade, nor do some care to.

Daniel L, I think if you look at this broadhead , you can answer your own question.

People will shoot anything. I look at that and think that it's the second or third last broadhead I'd choose. Rage being the first. (my dog and I have been on a little over 20 Rage blood trails and have found 2 animals).

The wheel has never been re-invented and neither will a COC, long broadhead. Wonder why the keep trying with the BH and don't with the wheel?

Bowmania
The wheel is still round and broad heads still cut, but both have evolved over the years. Remember knapped heads killed deer and wooden rim/solid rubber model A's went from point a to b.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+tire&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIrY3SoZC1xwIVi5MNCh3xywfw&biw=1536&bih=791#tbm=isch&q=airless+tire

·
Registered
131 Posts
There was an article in a recent Trad Bow magazine (I do not recall which one), that discussed and then tested the amount of force it took to penetrate the side of a freshly killed boar. Points were placed between ribs and pushed with a force gauge.

I'm going from memory here but the COC head they used required a force of 1.9lbs or there abouts (it was below 2lbs as I recall). The pencil and trocar/pyramid tipped broadheads required forces well over 50lbs, I believe one was around 80lbs.

This makes sense for the same reason a knife can penetrate a bullet proof vest and the bullet doesn't. The knife cuts and slides between the fibers, the other points (and the bullet) rely on seperating and tearing the fibers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.