Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow will be my life coming full circle. As I have mentioned on here several times that I had shot a bow for many years, and a long time had passed and my passion for shooting was re-ignited last fall. Well tomorrow will be my first 3d tournament in about 15 years. I was a 3d addict, my buddy and I would shoot 2 or 3 a weekend if the distances weren't to far from each other. Then events that were very personal for me got in the way. My sister passed and the last time I saw her was at a family reunion that I didn't want to go because there was a tournament to go to, but reluctantly did . My children were growing up and two sons very involved in sports, and 4H had me using all of my spare time for that. My wife became ill and had a steady decline in health until she passed 5 years ago this month. I lived in the bottle for a couple of years and then I met the angel that I'm married to now. I quit drinking for the most part last fall. I also quit smoking at the same time. To fill that space I got my bows out, and thats when it grabbed ahold of me like we had never been apart.

I'm trying to set realistic goals for tomorrow I haven't had to judge yardage in several years. All of my hunting is within 15 yards. I'm very competitive (I couldn't sleep after the little league teams I was coaching lost a game), and I deal with a very ugly form of target panic.

Can't really say why I'm typing this, not really looking for a Dr. Phil moment or anything. Guess just wanted to say I'm shooting in a 3D tournament tomorrow. See ya out there. John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that one is in the books. I am pleasantly surprised to say I shot a 242. It was 31 targets and drop your lowest score which was my only miss. It helped that there were no targets over 30 yards and most were 25 or under. The best part I know I can do better. I didn't have any target panic at all, but I was plucking my release and shooting consistently to the right on over half of the targets. I almost averaged an 8 on all of the targets, and with the dropped score I did. Scoring was 11,10,8,5,0.

I have to admit I'm sure my scores will probably go down at some of the places I'll be shooting at this year. Those distances were the distances that I practice at anything over 35 yards and the target is below the shelf.

Anyway had a great time, and hope to run across some of you this year. I live an hour from Cloverdale and I have shot there at the Nationals in 92 and 93. I'm also go to Twin Oaks Bow Hunter Tennessee Classic. Until then see you out there. John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts