Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read, searched and read, but still confused. Would really appreciate some input, REALLY appreciate.
I have a Excel 21" riser and want to build a hunting bow. Looking at 45# TT black Max glass/wood limbs. I hear with my draw length of in the area of 28 inches on a recurve I should go with the Med. limbs while some say shorts are ok too drawing 28, 28.5 tops. Would like to keep the shortest AMO length which would be 62" but, I guess 64" wouldn't matter too much, smoothness would be nice too. After all just 2 extra inches, 64 I guess would work out too. Opinions?
Also , i hear 45# limbs on a 21" excel May not be actually 45# but give or take a pound or two? Opinions again?
I won't even bring up what type of string cause that would be a whole another question with I'm sure many answers.
Thanks in advance, joe

Ps, presently shoot a Samick Sage in 30# for practice and conditioning.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Can't offer help Joe (not my area of experience) but welcome to TT.

Reactions: Joe03

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grey. Been around snooping for a few months but, always found allot do info with out asking. Allot of knowledge here.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As for #, I'll leave that to the pros but I have a set of Mediums on a 21" riser with a 2" longer draw length than yours and they just start to stack at anchor. Actually acts as somewhat of a draw check.

I think you'd like the mediums better, I will always opt for longer limbs for the smoothness factor. If longs work I wanna try extra-longs. An extra inch, even two, on each end doesn't bother me when hunting.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Joe03, first…..Welcome to TradTalk!:cheers:

With a 28" draw, you could use either mediums or shorts for sure.

You have to make the final decision, but if you want suggestions, here comes one……:lol:

Go with the mediums. One more inch on each end of the bow is hard to notice, but less finger pinch, easier to resell, and they will work better if you decide to try a shorter riser.

I am pretty sure that Black Max limbs are rated on a 17" riser, if that is the case, then a set of 50# limbs will yield roughly 45-46# on your 21" excel.

If you are buying from Lancaster Archery, any sales guy you speak with can tell you which poundage limbs you want to hit 45# on the 21" riser.

Good luck…….:shooting:

Reactions: Joe03

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
JOE, welcome to the forum.
Tradtech used to scale their Black Max limbs on a 17" riser, with bolts mostly out, so they gain some from as marked, even on the 17" risers.
So 50# is more like 52#, or 53-54#, on 17" riser, with bolts turned in more normally to middle or mostly down.
Then they will lose back to 50# or so on the 21" riser.
But yeh check with the guys at Lancaster.
& double-and-triple check anything coming from me.......

Reactions: Mitch and Joe03

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have shot several sets of TT long limbs on my Excel. Generally speaking the TT limbs scale pretty true to their marked draw weight on an Excel 21" riser. My TT 40# limbs scaled 39#@28, and I had a set of 50# TT bf extremes that scaled 50#@28.

I have a set of short SF a Ultimate pros making a 62" bow on my Excel. I draw 29" or so and they are smooth, but scale 8# heavier than the marked draw weight of the limbs. The bow is a hair under 60" strung. I don't like to shoot too long of a bow from a tree stand, as I tend to hit the bottom limb on my leg or the stand, when leaning forward on short range shots.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I found that TT limbs may gain a pound or two over the 17" Titan due to the limb angles. I bought a 21" excel riser thinking they might lose a little weight since the riser was longer but it didn't happen. My opinion is that 40# limbs will probably max out about 45. 45# limbs at the min-max will be 45-50#. Some Tradtech black max limbs are marked with + or - indicating they are 2 pounds light or heavier than marked. I'd call Tradtech and irder a pair and they will guarantee you'll get the weight you want. Buy a used pair its pot luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Pulled thr trigger and a set of Med. 45# are on the way. Yes, I did call tradtech and he confirmed that for the excel ,max you may loose, if any, is a pound or 2.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
You'll be happy with that choice, Joe. I draw less than an inch more than you and shot both medium TT Blackmax and short SKY limbs on my 21" Excel. Liked both. If I recall correctly, my 50# BM's weighed almost exactly what they are marked.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have always wondered about something and I'm just trying to learn. When people say their 40# limbs pull 40# on a riser, do you mean with the limb bolts turned in, turned out, or at some sweet spot for you? Because the IlF limbs obvious have a range of weights they can be adjusted to. It would mean more perhaps if the limb bolt position was specified when a weight is quoted. To me a few pounds of limb weight makes a different of whether I am able to shoot the bow or not. Thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts