Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently swapped to shooting a Falco legend longbow and am struggling with torqueing the bow on release causing me to hit left. I am doing this very consistently but cannot find a way to prevent it. I have tried different ways of gripping the bow but am struggling with this. I tried different spine arrows, going weak to try and get a right hit but no luck. All I can think of at this stage is to build up the front left of the grip in an attempt to reduce it. Changing back to my recurve there is no sign of bow torque on release.

Basic details, 40lb falco longbow, 28.5in 1816s with a 90 grain point. I draw 28in. Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a bow that does the same thing. It is like the grip allows the bow to turn in my hand upon release. I have since fixed it with a rasp and a file. I created a flat spot on the grip.

http://www.basspro.com/LimbSaver-In...15_11130_5283d370e4b05294704b9706_41412328351

This also helped. Not pretty but an easy inexpensive option. I put it on the grip (facing me) and I just put the lifeline on my hand on it each time. Got tired of looking at it and got out the file.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a Falco and a 21st Century. I don't have torque problems with either bow but the 21st Century is hands down a better bow.

With my high anchor and the same arrows the falco is point on at 21ish yards and the 21st Century is point on at 27. The 21st Century is a good bit faster.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
What type of Falco do you have? Which grip?
How long have you been shooting the Falco?
What type of longbow did you shoot prior to the Falco and what type of grip does it have?
How long were you shooting your previous longbow?
I went from a Samick SLB to a Falco Trophy Carbon and I saw the opposite. I could not consistently shoot straight with a vertical bow with the Samick. I can shoot any of my arrows straight with the Falco, right out of the bow with no tuning. I do not shoot a longbow as my main discipline so I am the type of person you would expect to have issues going to a stick grip.
Torque is a form issue. Grip can impact form. Or maybe you need more time with the bow. Or maybe it will not work for you. Can't tell with the current information.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Happens a lot, people get a new bow and it torques or slaps them. Keep shooting it and it will work itself out.

Reactions: Brainflex

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I can have the same problem when I switch from recurve back to my Wes Wallace long bow. From the Falco website pics my grip doesnot look to different unless you have the more recurve grip they show. If I grip my longbow like my recurve the arrow is pointed left and my arrow goes left. I turn my wrist till the arrow points straight at target. It can be done even if you shoot with a stiff ( not bent ) bow arm. It works for me but I have been told I am not normal.
I also put a sur-grip over the leather grip. The rubber keeps the bow from moving in my bow hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies,

Buy a 21st. Century and you will stop torqueing the Falco. LOL Cal
Hmm, don't seem to sell then in New Zealand, send me one and I will give it a go. :shooting:

ChadMR82, yeah, I think it may come to that. Just exploring all possibilities first.

Blank bail work will not cure aiming problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowmania
I am a bit confused by this, I haven't done any blank baling and don't feel that I have any aiming problems as I can shoot me Excel with no problems. Can you clear up what you mean please?

Why do you assume TP? Again no problems when I go back to the Excel.

Hank, its a Legend, bog standard. Shooting a Hoyt Excel previously, Gamemaster prior to that and fancied a change.

Kenn, I hope so, I can shoot some good groups, just struggling to get them where I want.

Tom, That sounds exactly like what is happening to me. There is a very slight ridge that I can push on to twist it to the right if I lock in and hold there it reduces the left torque. I have tried firm grips, death grip, light grip, heel of hand down, up and left.

I am gonna try tennis raquet wrap, para cord wrap and a rubber wrap and see what happens. Bow time will help as well I am sure. Also I have lined up a PSE longbow to have a go with and see what happens.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I can have the same problem when I switch from recurve back to my Wes Wallace long bow. From the Falco website pics my grip doesnot look to different unless you have the more recurve grip they show. If I grip my longbow like my recurve the arrow is pointed left and my arrow goes left. I turn my wrist till the arrow points straight at target. It can be done even if you shoot with a stiff ( not bent ) bow arm. It works for me but I have been told I am not normal.
I also put a sur-grip over the leather grip. The rubber keeps the bow from moving in my bow hand.
Originally, I tried to grip the longbow like my recurve. A straight handle longbow does not work well with a high wrist grip. I went with a more conventional grip and all is better.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Going from an Excel to a longbow is a big change. In particular the grip will make a huge difference. As I mentioned above, when I first took up longbow I wanted to shoot the same form as my recurve. I had to make adjustments, most noticeably, the grip. Also, I was going from shooting with a rest and plunger to shooting off the shelf. With my old Samick's, I had to really shoot my best form to get my wood arrows to go down the center line. With the Falco, it is much easier to shoot them straight. You need to give it some time before you decide that you have a problem. I gave it four years.

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
Are you fellows sure it's torque? A test is to shoot with a finger sling and leave the hand open. See what happens.

A second thought: the normal action of any bow after the shot is for it, in the hand, to move forward and turn to the left. The turn to the left is subdued by a stabilizer on a recurve, especially a full FITA setup. There is little mass in a longbow to subdue it, so it is much more obvious, but still normal.

Then if you hit left, it is not a torque issue, but a normal tuning issue. - lbg

Reactions: Brainflex

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers lbg, makes sense to me. I will keep trying, its just one of the aspects of archery that makes it so fun. I have no one local to help so forums like this are superb. Thanks everyone for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.