Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am becoming addicted to the gym. I just started 2-a-days, working out in the morning, and after work; and these are long, hard, workouts (e.g. 2,100 jump rope skips just for warm-ups today). I am hoping that all this work will help my archery (and not kill me). I started the morning workouts because exercise makes me feel better, and this way I can get the benefit of the energy boost during the work day.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Lower heart rate, likely lower blood pressure, and more stamina……..gotta help your archery game.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Good on you

I love the jump rope

My workout consists of 20 minutes of cardio and than 4 to 5 exercises per a single body part dome in super sets

Between rounds I do not rest I jump rope

five times a week

·
Super Moderator
2,647 Posts
Mind your knees. I live in seniors complex and knees are a very common complaint. There are lower impact alternatives to the rope. You will have put a lot of wear on yours hustling down mountains after climbs. I did. Cycling is benign. - lbg

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JParanee,

What are super sets?

It sounds like you are following some of the more recent fitness developments. Interval training is big now. I am still in the learning process. I started out with what I knew competing in high school, and then had to throw most of it out the window, including how we stretched. I am participating in the 12 week Gold's Gym Challenge, which is a nation wide transformation contest with cash prizes (Google it). One thing I am getting out of the Challenge (other than the T-shirt) is weekly seminars and training sessions that go over many of the newer fitness methods (meaning newer than when I last trained like this), including lots of boot camp variants. It is all very interesting.

I am a tall, skinny guy and never really possessed a lot of power. I gravitated toward endurance sports, with the exception of rock climbing. I climbed a lot of rock for someone who was never very good at pull ups. So all this hard work does not bulk me up, it just makes my long lean muscles harder and stronger. I don't think any amount of exercise could condition me for the HBS.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Hank call me @ 610 657 9515

Would love to talk about different workouts and nutrition :)

I have mentioned it before but Jake and Reo are using supplements from the company I am involved with to great results

REO's dumped weight and is feeling good

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mind your knees. I live in seniors complex and knees are a very common complaint. There are lower impact alternatives to the rope. You will have put a lot of wear on yours hustling down mountains after climbs. I did. Cycling is benign. - lbg
I am tall so I understand knee issues. Had them when I was young from growing too fast. The jump rope does not put much stress on my knees. You really only barely lift your feet off the ground. The biggest issue I have with the jump rope is my wrists. I was going for 2,000 skips in my evening session today, but had to stop at 1,600 because my right wrist started to hurt. I have gotten some good training from my personal trainer on how to do some of the lifts correctly, specifically to avoid knee problems. But I am always working on strengthening my knees to help prevent injury.

Hustling down mountains can put a lot of stress on your knees. I am a strider going down, meaning I go for a long plunging stride, rather than holding back. My father used to hold back, which put more stress on his knees, plus he could not keep up with me.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Longbow guy

Hi and the knees are very important but if you ever see a boxer jump rope he is in most jump rope routines not coming down hard at all

When I jump rope I barely come off the ground unless I am doing a certain exercise

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I am tall so I understand knee issues. Had them when I was young from growing too fast. The jump rope does not put much stress on my knees. You really only barely lift your feet off the ground. The biggest issue I have with the jump rope is my wrists. I was going for 2,000 skips in my evening session today, but had to stop at 1,600 because my right wrist started to hurt. I have gotten some good training from my personal trainer on how to do some of the lifts correctly, specifically to avoid knee problems. But I am always working on strengthening my knees to help prevent injury.

Hustling down mountains can put a lot of stress on your knees. I am a strider going down, meaning I go for a long plunging stride, rather than holding back. My father used to hold back, which put more stress on his knees, plus he could not keep up with me.
Ya beat me to it about the rope :)

The worse time of my life for my knees was when I was doing a lot of back pack hunting

Coming off a mountain with a hundred + pound pack sucks :)

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hank call me @ 610 657 9515

Would love to talk about different workouts and nutrition :)

I have mentioned it before but Jake and Reo are using supplements from the company I am involved with to great results

REO's dumped weight and is feeling good
I'll do that. I am not taking supplements at the moment, rather getting most of my nutrition naturally in green smoothies, with the exception of one scoop of protein powder a day.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya beat me to it about the rope :)

The worse time of my life for my knees was when I was doing a lot of back pack hunting

Coming off a mountain with a hundred + pound pack sucks :)
I was this skinny climber who carried massive packs. The biggest I ever carried was 100 pounds, and I only weighed 155. I drug the thing up boulder fields for a climb of Thunder Mountain in the Sierra Nevada Range. The trip lasted 16 days and I climbed 6 mountains. Most of it was high altitude and off trail. I used to run an outdoor program in the Sierras and my normal daily pack was 70 pounds, and this was without climbing gear. Most of the weight was because we fed the kids really well and did not make them carry community gear. I had strong legs and core, and was very determined.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I was this skinny climber who carried massive packs. The biggest I ever carried was 100 pounds, and I only weighed 155. I drug the thing up boulder fields for a climb of Thunder Mountain in the Sierra Nevada Range. The trip lasted 16 days and I climbed 6 mountains. Most of it was high altitude and off trail. I used to run an outdoor program in the Sierras and my normal daily pack was 70 pounds, and this was without climbing gear. Most of the weight was because we fed the kids really well and did not make them carry community gear. I had strong legs and core, and was very determined.
Sounds it Hank looking forward to speaking :)

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also want to get the skinny on those HEX7 limbs. They look like a revolutionary change from the HEX6. As you can see below, there was a pretty steady progression in the evolution of the extreme recurve. I think the HEX7 blow the curve. I have not seen anything like them.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
Good for you Hank. I walk or bike an hour a day to get to my target heart rate and do strength work outs a couple times a week. The older I get the longer it takes to recover from the burn. That sore muscle feeling is inflammation. I take a bunch of anti oxidant supplements and try to eat foods with anti oxidant qualities to help with the inflammation.

I've been taking a max dose of glucosamine-chondrotin-msm for about a year now to possibly prevent joint issues. Can't say it's working but it might be.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm usually 7 days a week and 2 two-a-days of that 7. Been pretty much working out for years. Because of that I went on a sheep hunt with a weeks notice. Real money saver and over the long run life saver. Helped me curb/cut down on some of my bad habits.

The one thing I wish I would have started earlier is yoga. NOT as easy as it sounds. There's really something about the flexibility and balance that you learn. Nobody new could do about half of what an advance class teaches. Another side benefit is scenery.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I used to run a lot but switched to a rowing machine. The kind with air resistance that spin the fan. I found that it is way more of a full body cardio than any other cardio exercise. And it is zero impact.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Ya only get so many heart beats, dont use em all jumping in one place. :D Seriously though, good for you. Its great you can make/find time for that sort of thing. When I get 1hr of free time, Im sending arrows at a bale.
Im impressed with both you and JP's ability to jump rope. Ive tried it and couldnt do it for 1min continuously. There is something intriguing about ones ability to jump rope for extended periods of time effortlessly and with a smooth constant rythm. I guess its like anything else, you build up endurance over time.
Lets see a video JP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts