Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps some of you happen to be good at everything you do. I am not one of those people. I have a choice - dedicate my free time to one hobby at the expense of the others, or continue with all of my hobbies but at a mediocre level. I decided quite awhile back to be mediocre at several of my interests instead of being good at one. And that goes for archery. Even though archery is my favorite hobby, I'm not willing to give up my other hobbies in order to devote the time to excel at archery. Have any of you faced the same decision?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
For me everything has its time. I have slacked on my mustang hobby, spending money on archery instead of car parts. My kids and their sports are my main hobbies, but I shoot when I can, even if that means in the basement after they go to bed.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use to be that way and whenever I went at something I went whole hog. While I've put a lot of different tools in my belt over the past 61 years, it seems archery has always been the one constant. Some things I can lay down and pick up again later with little loss of skill. My longbows differ in that they require regular practice to progress past mediocrity to the skill level I'm after. That familiarity has become a way of life, a form of focus. I'll give up a serious level of proficiency in others to maintain this one....it's more than a hobby.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
I look at it this way,

There is your main hobby, the thing you are really trying to excel at.

There are secondary hobbies, these are other thing you like but you do not have the time to fully invest in them.

There are experience activities. These are the things you do that you may never do again. You might hire a guide, or take a class, or just go out and do it on your own, just so that you can experience it.

Most of my life climbing rocks and mountains was number one. Guitar playing was also a number one. I was able to have two because they split between outdoor and indoor time. Now archery has taken the outdoor number one and my climbing has suffered as a result. I have to fix that.

Secondary activities over the years have been cycling, kayaking, spelunking, boomerang throwing, cross country and downhill skiing, sailing. I am hoping to expand on kayaking this year. I will be attending an ocean kayaking school this summer.

Experience activities is an interesting category. I guide experience climbs. A quick training session then a climb of a 1,000 foot rock. This was for folks that would probably never do it again. At times it was life changing when people realized what they were able to accomplish. For myself, I like to hire guides and do stuff that is world class for the local. I went to the Green River and hired fly fishing guides. I went to Tennessee and hired a bass fishing guide. They gave me an appreciation for something that I would probably not get much of a chance to do again. I would like to shoot trap in the future, just to see what it is like.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
I am competitive, I get into stuff, or rather, I used to.
At different times in my life, I have tried to be the best at several endeavors.....at least at some local and regional levels.
As stated by several above, it takes a healthy commitment.....TIME & MONEY.
So, to rise to the top takes a bit of time, normally, even years.
I have done motocross racing, golf, trap shooting, centerfire rifle matches, and more recently archery.
I was old enough when I got back into archery, I decided not to go all-out in travelling and all of that, and just enjoy my shooting - mostly at home.
I still try & excel, but I am advancing at my own pace and not trying to beat anyone.
Much.....

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I guess I'm lucky (or unlucky) really. I've had a few serious hobbies and sports but some real bad injuries meant I've lost most of them. I can never powerlifting again and running is a distant memory but I hope to be back in my mountain bike again this year and maybe even swing a golf club.
Archery is home for me now though. Good people in this sport unlike many others. It's just that damn RU class that's a bottomless pit of cash of you're not careful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
it gets a little harder when you are getting older! i only have one sport, archery.
i have several hobbies, like travel in s.e.asia, mine removal, photography, bungee jumping in all sorts of places, parachuting, and stayin proficient with my service revolver. some of that is going to have to go because of some issues with my back caused by being bucked off my cowhorses too many times. i enjoy so many things in life!! music, my cattle and the dogs and horses i use to take care of them, sunrises, working at the ranch and the restaurant, get-aways with my wife and so many more!! too much at 79 years old to worry about the small stuff!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Arcus,

If your current endeavors bring you happiness then I'd say you are doing fine for you. I'm kind of the same way. I like a lot of sports and hobbies....I don't or won't sacrifice time from what is most important to ME at this time....those things or THING are my FAMILY..... I've always had decent eye hand coordination and mediocre physical prowess....along with a fair amount of heart...I played basketball and pitched baseball in high school....
Always being fascinated by cowboy culture....I took up rodeo in my twenties...sucked at bareback broncs...but showed above average aptitude for roping events....
However....I decided to let that go to be a family man since my wife didn't want a life "going down the road"....
I've got no regrets in that regard....
Same right now with archery and bowhunting.....
I seem to always be faced with "great" opportunities to do this hunt or that shoot....but it rarely works within my family schedule/needs....
I may jokingly whine about it....but as much as I love shooting arrows....it doesn't compare to the other GREAT things in my life....
I hope that doesn't sound too much like a soap box sermon.....but for now...I'm satisfied doing what I do....lurking and joking here and on other archery sites watching and learning from the generous champs sharing their insights....thinking that some day I may become a more "serious" archer / bowhunter :)

Bottom line....have fun and enjoy all of the arrows that you loose :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'll be 50 this summer and I have a wife, a 16yr and a 14yr old at home. Between work, kids activities, exercise, and regular life stuff, there really isn't a lot of time to devote to one activity. Especially when I have so many things I really enjoy like golf, fishing, hiking working out, archery, and on and on and on. I'm mediocre at a lot of stuff and I'm ok with that. I hang with some great like minded folks and family and we just have a blast.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was/am a photography tragic, but it has been my work for the last 5 yrs. So a broadened my horizons and scratched a remote control plane/heli/truck itch for a few years, but eventually found my way back to my childhood obsession of hunting.
Been juggling a young family and a small business, with going out with the rifle for the last 2yrs.
I bought a bow last September, and hunting with it has been a goal from the start. A few bunnies have fallen and recently a goat. now it is all I think about as I head into my works "off season"!
I guess I am a one at a time hobby whore, but I think hunting is a lifelong thing from here on out :)

·
Spearhead
3,579 Posts
Hobies? There is hobies?

First and foremost is my family, plain and simple, I will not faulter or give!!!
Two things I enjoy doing alone or with my family martial arts and archery, it's a way of life.
It's hard at times but I manage to get time in for both practice.

Then there is work, that's one of those thing I have to do.

Chad

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
For me everything has its time. I have slacked on my mustang hobby, spending money on archery instead of car parts. My kids and their sports are my main hobbies, but I shoot when I can, even if that means in the basement after they go to bed.
Ken,

I bet that half of my arrows have been loosed in the "dark" or under the light of the motion detector lights in our driveway and backyard after the kids are in bed.... LOL!!!

Makes "gapping" tough :)....but "instinctive" seem pretty viable :) LOL!!!
Fun any way you can get it..... :)

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
"You are responsible for your happiness"....that's what I was told by my stepdad when I was 12 or so....

So that's what I have done.....I try most anything adn am pretty proffiecient in most....well accept typing and grammar haha.

I love archery but mostly for hunting and the ppl you meet. Can I shoot like some of you...probably not but that doesn't matter to me...I can still shoot with you and share a story or too and a camp fire and maybe a beer.....maybe two beers.

I love to flyfish - ride horses - Karate - boxing - ride motorcycles - learning to shoot guns now (45-70 only though) - tennis - scuba diving - table tennis - baseball when I was young - basketball - volleyball - hockey of course (canadian) - x-country skiing and downhill well you get the idea.

Was always a bit above average but not the best in anything.....good electrician and am told I am a great teacher (not sure about that one though ;) )

So lots of interests - have a great wife and wonderful children and four grand children.

Am in a tennis tourney this week (veterans - YEAH vets - 45 and older is a Vet here wow).

I will play singles - mens and mixed doubles and drink a few beers.....

Cheers Jer

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
My wife says I have too many hobbies and while that may be true, archery has been a constant while I dabbled in other interests off and on. With the birth of my son late last year, my family has been the main priority and so, other secondary hobbies have fallen to the side and even my bows have seen less range time. I look forward to the day when I can share my hobby with my boy and make it our hobby.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
The key with family is doing stuff together. My wife and I met in a college climbing club and climbed together for many years. My son's and I participated in the same activities. It seems like if one got interested in something, we would all do it. We even started archery together. I did it for them, but I ended up being the one who stuck with it. My younger son still likes it and shoots one traditional tournament a year. I used to play a lot of competitive laser tag because that is what my son's did. Now they are into the Magic card game, playing tournaments all over. I finally took a pass. They practice as hard as I practice archery. My son's now want to take our climbing club's training class and become certified. That's a scary thought. Not sure I can stand to see my son's do what I was doing at their age.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Archery has been my main sport for 40+ years now. Most of my hobbies revolve around archery, making arrows, making quivers, and other archery related items. About 7 years ago I started making bamboo fly rods. That led to woodworking which I enjoy as well. But always archery first after family.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Hank "The key with family is doing stuff together" maybe true for some but not for us.

I went to alot of my kids activities but trying to teach your kids things can be difficult at best. Some will take your advice some need to hear the SAME ADVICE from a complete stranger...go figure.

I support them in all they do and offer advice now based on my good judgement (which I got through experience - which I got from porr judgement).

My wife and I are born on the same day 1 year apart and are librans. I love outdoors - she hates it - she loves reading and being alone and in the house - I hate it.

I love archery - horses - hockey - tennis - kayaking - etc etc - she hates it, but SHE lets me do what I want pretty much when I want - I LOVE THAT.

So you can be too much alike too I think....just depends

Jer

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
Jer,

I guess I should have said "MY" key is doing things together. Actually, you are not always teaching your kids. Sometimes, your kids are teaching you. Mine certainly taught me the ins and outs of competitive laser tag. I taught them to climb and now they are both running a climbing program at the local Boys and Girls Club. Neither of my sons went through a period where they did not want to be seen with their parents. I have to think that me participating in their interests, and sharing, but not pushing, mine on them, had a lot to do with that. They found their own way and we jumped in to share it, and had a lot of fun along the way.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I aim to excel at everything I do, although I rarely get there, I dont settle for anything less than perfection. This can be problematic with a busy life. In order to accommodate work, family, hobbies I rarely watch TV or sit on my butt and relax. I have only watched one professional sporting event on TV over the last year.

I work full time, coach girls softball, play Mr Fix-It on my old house and cars, play guitar in a band, and am trying to shoot my longbow as good as the champs. Come to think if it I dont sleep too much either, lol.

But i guess i wouldn't have it any other way. Life is good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts