Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is a picture of a friend of mine Tom, a firefighter from the West Coast, who took this BIG tom in the Clearwater (North Central Idaho) two weeks ago with an Osage seflbow and stone point. Beautiful cat that weighed just under 180lbs. Tom and I hunt the same unit every year for bear in the Spring but he's been going back for the past eight years holding out for the perfect cat. I think he finally found him.

LBL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Braver man than me.. No way would I hunt something like that and for that matter bears either, it would scare me half to death.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
That's a lotta cat!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Braver man than me.. No way would I hunt something like that and for that matter bears either, it would scare me half to death.
I can tell you black bears want nothing to do with you when trying to hunt them. I've got video from last spring of a sow (female bear) that got within four (4) feet of my ground position as she looked into my camera's lens. She was scent checking a bait site and walked straight toward me. I passed on her because I've got two others at the house and there's a huge cinnamon colored boar I've been after for several years now.

LBL

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Some of the best eating around. I'd only put sheep and moose ahead.

OK, I have a question off the subject - friendships. My best hunting buddy is from CO and I'm a Cheezehead. How does a guy from OK end up hanging with a guy from S.CA?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of the best eating around. I'd only put sheep and moose ahead.

OK, I have a question off the subject - friendships. My best hunting buddy is from CO and I'm a Cheezehead. How does a guy from OK end up hanging with a guy from S.CA?
I've hunted all over the country with my longbow but it wasn't until 2009 when I booked a hunt with this particular outfitter in North Central Idaho who caters to traditional hunters. This is where I met Tom and a bunch of other Trad hunters from Chicago, Seattle, Texas, North Dakota, Maryland, New York and So. Cal. I also had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with Ted Fry from Raptor Archery the following year. He and I hunted bi-annually for the next four years afterwards. Ted is the arrowsmith who made the stone point arrows Tom used to take this cat. If you ever want a great guided traditional only bear or cat hunt PM and I'll send you the outfitters name and info.

There's something about the Trad Hunters Fraternity that never gets old.

LBL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts