Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in an effort to be sure I am ready for the upcoming IBO shoots, we decided to shoot from the compound stakes today.:shooting:

Our local 3-D shoots are a little bit close from the "trad" stakes, maybe a 20-22 yard average. It has been at least a month since I shot my last 5, with 30 target scores ranging from a low of 274 to a high of 291, so how much difference can an extra 8-10 yard average shot distance make?:sbrug:

I went right past the 5 column on the scorecard into the goose egg column…….twice!:p

Average shot distance today was around 30 yards, and it is a safe bet that I just ain`t ready to tackle the big boys yet. :lol:

I did pick it up pretty good on the second half, and with a little luck I will be able to break away from work to get some practice in during the week. There is not much time left to add 30 points to my score.

Reactions: Rob Ingram

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Our hunter class in ibo is 35yd max, is that the stake you shot from? It's fun to practice on longer shots, for sure it hones your stability skills. However I only do that on known distance. I want to be certain in training my form, and not my yardage estimating on distances outside of my class. Also don't be fooled by your local setup. By that I mean you never know what the big shoot(s) will be set up like. Typically around here they are in the 22-30 range, but the last course had several 10yd shots that I blew. I got used to practicing for 25-30 that I shot high on the close shots I didn't expect to see. What should have been easy targets turned into low scores. Way to throw a curve Mr Powell. :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stakes I shot today were a 40 yard max, but only 3 targets were over 34 yards. Most targets were maybe 28-33 yards, with a few short ones around 18-22 yards on turkeys. Lots of turkeys on the course today.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Mitch what class did you shoot in?Were you shooting trad and just moved back to the next stake.
We have the same problem here,some clubs just have trad the same as youth stakes there are so few of us.
I have been playing with stringwalking but that would put me out there,and out of the trad division.Even 30yds is a poke when you don't practice that distance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The stakes I shot today were a 40 yard max, but only 3 targets were over 34 yards. Most targets were maybe 28-33 yards, with a few short ones around 18-22 yards on turkeys. Lots of turkeys on the course today.
In addition to you and Steve?:)

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Mitch if I'm going to be shooting 40 max - I practice at 60-70 at least 25% of my shots. The last thing you want going through you head is "damn that's far"

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Matt,
Don't feel too sorry for Mitch. He was one heck of a compound shooter and is not afraid of distance. He nails the 60 yard standing bear with his recurve on our practice range while I'm standing next to him shaking at the idea of shooting the ram at 30. He just gets upset if he doesn't hit the 11.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mitch what class did you shoot in?Were you shooting trad and just moved back to the next stake.
We have the same problem here,some clubs just have trad the same as youth stakes there are so few of us.
I have been playing with stringwalking but that would put me out there,and out of the trad division.Even 30yds is a poke when you don't practice that distance.
mamba, I sign up in trad class, but I never turn in my cards at the local shoots. The local trad shooters are a great bunch, but me packing binoculars and sporting a stabilizer is against the rules I think. I am just there to practice.:)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shot with Dave Holquest to day and he kicked my butt ! nice to see and meet Dave we had a great time. Mitch you should have came up you could have shot like crap with me LOL Cal
Cal, I dearly wanted to make it up there for the shoot today, but my daughter hosted a mothers day meal for my wife, myself, and our son-in-laws parents. One of those things I could not get out of, and did not have enough time to make it back from Pine Hill in time for the meal.

Besides, putting a smackdown on a living legend such as yourself two times in a row, in your own back yard would be, well, kinda mean.:p Glad you and Dave had a good time, I promise to make it next time around.:cheers:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In addition to you and Steve?:)
Yea, in addition to me and Steve. Actually, Steve was a late call off, so I was the biggest turkey in attendance.:thankyou:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mitch if I'm going to be shooting 40 max - I practice at 60-70 at least 25% of my shots. The last thing you want going through you head is "damn that's far"

Matt, I should have been practicing longer for sure. Judging the longer targets is not that tough for me usually, but a 2 yard misjudge when you are shooting a 200fps bow sure ends up different than when you are spitting them out @ 300fps plus.:D

My biggest problem today, other than a mental lapse when I started shooting 5`s was misjudging the closest targets. Shooting a turkey for 16 yards when it is really 20 yards away doesn`t end well, even with a strong follow through.:sbrug:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct Tom, it is not easy to hit that ten ring every time, but I always keep on trying……..and having more fun than the law should allow along the way.:D

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Matt, I should have been practicing longer for sure. Judging the longer targets is not that tough for me usually, but a 2 yard misjudge when you are shooting a 200fps bow sure ends up different than when you are spitting them out @ 300fps plus.:D

My biggest problem today, other than a mental lapse when I started shooting 5`s was misjudging the closest targets. Shooting a turkey for 16 yards when it is really 20 yards away doesn`t end well, even with a strong follow through.:sbrug:
When it doubt add a stitch ;-)

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Over in the 3D forum I mentioned that some consideration had been given locally to splitting 'traditional' into two groups, one being akin to RU. But the class is usually too small to bother with, and most locals are pretty casual re. competition. We usually set our course to be interesting but it probably wouldn't challenge the better shooters. A few BIG targets at 25 or so, most closer.

I wonder of we're not lowering our expectations too much, tho'.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I love 3D archery of all types and all distances. I'd rather have a 70yd elk to shoot that a 20yd one but I'm more than capable of missing both. Longer ranges do give the opening to drop a few points because everyone does. IBO ranges you have to be on that 10 all day long. I'm stepping away from archery for a while, recurring injury and a total loss of form has made me lose my passion for it so time to step away. 3D will be what brings me back though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love 3D archery of all types and all distances. I'd rather have a 70yd elk to shoot that a 20yd one but I'm more than capable of missing both. Longer ranges do give the opening to drop a few points because everyone does. IBO ranges you have to be on that 10 all day long. I'm stepping away from archery for a while, recurring injury and a total loss of form has made me lose my passion for it so time to step away. 3D will be what brings me back though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear that you are stepping away for a while Jon, but you know what is best for you. :)

It was a pleasure meeting you briefly at the indoor worlds this year, just sorry we did not have more time to chat. Hope you still visit here on a regular basis…..lots of stuff to discuss beyond archery.:cheers:

Reactions: Jon Lewis

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Hey Mitch scratch my advice, I thought you were shooting Trad. I didn't realize you were shooting are RU.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Jon, I find that the occasional lay-off actually improves my shooting. Muscles lose a bit of tone, but I suspect I forget a bad habit or two in the bargain! Take the time to heal fully and you'll probably shoot better than ever when you return to it. Meanwhile, enjoy other things. Are the fish biting? ;-)

Reactions: Jon Lewis
1 - 20 of 30 Posts