Trad Talk Forums banner

tips on raising anchor point?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Harpman 
#1 ·
I have flatish, broad face and I wear glasses.

I anchor index corner of mouth and v of thumb behind angle of jaw bone.

I'd like to have a higher anchor but they all seem to get into my glasses or make the base of my thumb hit my face awkwardly and push my draw hand too far outward or I have to turn my head toward the bow at an awkward angle where I have to look through the frame of my glasses.

Any tips by the similarly afflicted? I can't do contacts or facial reconstruction ;)

I'm thinking of making a dry fire bow out of pvc and play around with that.

#4 ·
I also run into the same issues.

My solution was to stringwalk and keep my anchor.

Reactions: raisins
#6 ·
I shoot 3 under, middle finger in the corner of the mouth, thumb in the palm of my hand, and tilt my head forward until my glasses touch the string.

I just started the tilting the head forward to get the string to touch the glasses last fall from a recommendation from Gary McCain. That change cut my point on from about 60m to about 50m. And my gap at 20 yards was reduced from 39 inches below the target to 26 inches. It has taken me a few months to get used to doing that.

#7 ·
Should've added I shoot 3 under already.

I also have a larger nose, which doesn't help.

Was inspired by the vegas shoot video to get a higher anchor.

Just tried it. If I go index finger to cheek bone, then to get my string aligned on the riser, the string will hit my nose badly I'm sure.

I might just have to stick with my huge gaps between arrow and target at closer ranges.

#9 ·
As Trevor suggested, maybe consider stringwalking for yardages shorter than your point-on distance? By learning to stringwalk, you would have the same sight picture out to your point-on so, instead of using gaps to sight at the target, you learn to use the appropriate crawls on the string. Then, for hunting, just set up for a single 20yd crawl and hold over or under as necessary. There should be lots of threads on this subject.

#11 ·
Leaning like making head closer to shoulder or like twisting neck as in signaling "no"? Probably the first, but just want to be clear, and I'll try both. Thanks.

#12 ·
For some reason, I have this aversion to string walking. I'm not sure why. It is just not aesthetically pleasing to me. But I should try it.

#13 ·
I have some similar shooting issues as You...And, I also have always had some sort of aversion to Stringwalking also, I cant nail it down as to why, but I just do...I will say that having played with Stringwalking, just goofing a bit, it is pretty effective at 20 yards or less...I shoot indoor 3D on Friday nights and the targets range from 10-11 yards out to about 23 yards...Without changing my bow/arrow tune, I can effectively put the arrows in the 10 ring pretty well, just with a little crawling down the string, and a little bit of cant, to get the arrow under my eye better...I'm roughly tuned for close to 30 yards point-on right now, if that helps any...If I was to bowhunt with a single string bow, I'd be willing to set my bow up/tune it for a 20 yard fixed crawl in a heartbeat...Take care.....Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.