Trad Talk Forums banner

1441 - 1456 of 1456 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Here are some more bloom shots from Chino Hills. The third picture is of a flower we had been trying to capture for weeks. It was difficult to get it in focus in the wind. We finally managed to get a shot with low depth of field with a better camera and keep it in focus. My wife knows what all of these are. These were from a cross country hike up a mountain I call Illuminati Peak. Several years ago I found what looked like an ritual circle of rocks on the summit, and thus the name.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Yes, Hank, that's a lake.

Beautiful pictures of the Californian flora, once again.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Good morning toxophilites. Thanks for the beautiful pictures Steve, spring has sprung here in the UK as well.
Here in the UK we're beginning to see the light at the end of the Covid tunnel. The number of cases and the number of deaths is continuing to drop dramaticaly. and small groups can begin to meet outside, Spring has begun, the trees are in bud and the wild woodland flowers are in bloom.
Been busy working on my latest projects .. 2 vintage bicycles. One is a 1932 ladies Humber and the other a gents 1936 Rudge. The Rudge is on the back burner for the time being and will be a full back to original restoration. The Humber on the other hand will become a super cool urban city bike up grade . The Humber has been stripped down to every individual nut, bolt screw, washer and ball bearing. The frame and forks have been stripped to bare metal and etch primed ready to recieve the most beautiful Alfa Romeo Competzione Rosso ruby red top coat. New "old style" wheels and seat will be fitted but I'm keeping the original chain ring and chain guard. Replicas of all the original decals and transfers have been orded and will be placed in their original locations. Tyres ,cable covers and hand grips will all be grey in colour and to top of the old school look, a custom made wicker shopping basket will adorn the front of the finished bike .... it should look pretty cool

Stay safe everyone

Reactions: Grantmac

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,444
In a period of a week, Chino Hills went from a major bloom of California Golden Poppies and other colorful wildflowers to be taken over by invasive mustard. There were few poppies to be seen.

The mustard is exploding, in some case over my head. My wife (the plant person) speculated that the heat wave went just went through may have help kill off the blooms.

So the fire recovery has now gone full circle: scorched earth to fire follower bloom to invasive plant take over.

Here is what it looked like today.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
I just had three trigger finger injections last week and I am waiting for a EMG so that my orthopedist can determine how much surgery I’m going to need on my hands besides severe carpal tunnel in my right...

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I'm on my 2nd day of a military dive course. Yesterday was the orientation and introduction.

On one slide:
"This is not a running course"
Next slide:
"You will run everywhere on this base"

I think we ran about 4km on the tour.

There isn't actually a fitness standard you must meet beyond the rather easy one required for everyone in our military. They can fail you for safety, academic and lack of effort however.

Because of Covid precautions our course is split in half with self study for part of the day at home. I'm on afternoons this week.
We've been told to expect our first fitness test this afternoon.
2400m run then max pushups, situps and pull ups. Then change into wetsuit for time and swim 1km for time.
I'm the 2nd oldest person on course but from what I saw yesterday I'm definitely not the slowest.

Our first pool work starts tomorrow. I haven't ever actually tried any sort of SCUBA before so I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
I'm still alive and doing as well as possible. Fully vaccinated but still being cautious. Have all my calves worked,(castrated, branded, and earmarked), and on range land. Thank goodness I can still saddle a horse and ride all day if I need to. Walking is not my friend any longer since spinal stenosis has taken it's toll. Since most of my friends that were my age are no longer with us, I will not complain too much. Stay well everyone!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm still alive and doing as well as possible. Fully vaccinated but still being cautious. Have all my calves worked,(castrated, branded, and earmarked), and on range land. Thank goodness I can still saddle a horse and ride all day if I need to. Walking is not my friend any longer since spinal stenosis has taken it's toll. Since most of my friends that were my age are no longer with us, I will not complain too much. Stay well everyone!
“Honorable Scars
From
Fair Wear and Tear
Shall
Not Count Agains”

( . . British Kennel Rules of Judging . . .)

regards,

John

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
After the other person my age removed himself from course today during the swim I'm officially the oldest by quite a bit. Not the slowest runner and by far the fastest swimmer.
Not the hardest day I've had in the military, definitely not the easiest either.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,451
I just had three trigger finger injections last week and I am waiting for a EMG so that my orthopedist can determine how much surgery I’m going to need on my hands besides severe carpal tunnel in my right... View attachment 2781
Is this work related? I used to lead climbs with a guy who's hand closed. It didn't help his climbing or his banjo playing. I think he ended up having surgery. I survived a serious hand injury on a climbing trip 30 years ago. I slipped and had a stick go almost all the way through my hand. I was told I would probably get arthritis but I have been lucky and have done fine. Hands are about the most complicated machine in the body.

Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Took my first breath underwater today, pretty wild.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,454
Took my first breath underwater today, pretty wild.
I was able to scuba a couple of times at resorts. I was unsure that I could pass the physical due to asthma, but the medical issue is more with blocked sinuses that can explode when trapped air expands.

I found it very peaceful floating under water. I remember the second time I had some trouble initially submerging during training.

I was a bit claustrophobic. When I finally went under everything was okay.

It is definitely something special and I hope to do it again someday, but just resort diving. I don't think I have time to get PADI certified. I don't need another hobby.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good Eveninb Hank,
Here in Northumberland (just south of the scottish border) its 8:50 pm. Wish I had seen this thread earlier

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I don't need another hobby either, but if the Navy wants to pay I'll dive.
Did our first in the ocean today. Visibility about arms reach and very cold even in the drysuit.

They warmed us up by swimming lengths of the dock and burpees, feeling my years tonight as the elder course member.

1441 - 1456 of 1456 Posts