Trad Talk Forums banner

1421 - 1440 of 1456 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,421
Hopefully, some of our warm weather is headed the way of cold places around the country. We just went through a brief warm spell, at least for this time of year.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
yeh us too losing snow & nearly 50* yesterday.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,424 (Edited)
Up early this morning to put a pork butt on the smoker. It will take about 11 hours to cook and an hour to rest so it should be done by dinner time. It is difficult to predict exactly how long it will take, but there is a good chance we will be eating pulled pork for dinner.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
It's a great day! Finally there is vaccine available where I live, and I get my first shot tomorrow at 1:00pm. with an automatic appointment for the second dose. Very happy about that! We are in the fifties with wind and the foot of snow we had is only a memory. Stay safe and enjoy the onset of spring!

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,426 (Edited)
I have hit the 12 hour point on my pork butt. I skipped the Texas crush which helps get through the stall. The thing is, I didn't get a real stall in the 160 deg range. The slope of the temperature curve changed, but it did not stall. This is a bit unusual from what I normally see. I am not sure how much longer this will take.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,427 (Edited)
It is just after 8 PM and the pulled pork is done and I am eating pork tacos. Yum. Total cook time was 12 1/2 hours with an additional 1/2 hour rest.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,428
My wife and I got our second Moderna vaccines today. The process really improved in the last fours weeks. It was pretty good before but now it was really fast.

We thought that maybe there were less vaccines being given but we were told by one of the staff members that they have just gotten faster.

We arrived early for our first shot and were about 15 minutes behind schedule. It took awhile to get through all the checks. In the end, it was about two and a half hours.

This time we arrived well before our appointment time and our line (there is a line for each 15 minutes appointment block) started moving immediately.

We sailed right through. We were done by the time our appointment was supposed to start. And that included the 15 minute post shot wait to see if we have a reaction.

They moved the super center from the Disneyland parking lot to inside the Anaheim Convention Center. There were folks everywhere, from the street to the exit directing you to where to go.

As someone who has worked on process improvements for years, I can say that the improvements were remarkable.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,429
Deleted. Wrong thread and cannot find a delete option.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,430
The burn area in Chino Hills State Park has gone from scorched earth to a major bloom area with a fair amount of California Golden Poppies. It turns out that many of these wild flowers take advantage of burn areas and disturbed ground. The fire has turned out to be a big positive for the area, burning off the massive overgrowth from the super bloom a couple of years ago. That said, the non native mustard, thistle and wild radish is on the way back. It is getting noticeably taller every day. The wild flowers have a difficult time competing with the non native invaders. While the burned east side of the park is exploding in color, the unburned west side is dead weeds waiting for new growth this spring. Clearing the weeds accelerated regrowth since the plants do not have to wait for the previous years weeds to dry out and clear space for new growth. Below are pictures of the famous California Golden Poppy, and California Blue Bells.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
thanks HANK bet those burned area hillsides are a great place to go for hikes right now

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Thank you for the pics, Hank. Have you had any rain recently to boost the flowers?

Here woke up to a dripping sound. The temperature had risen just above freezing and the snow on the roof had started slowly melting. But we still have plenty.

Wishing a great weekend to one and all.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
we had 60s for a few days, 50s now today I THINK, rainy tonight later & tomorrow, predicted......we poured a slab & made a dog run for LIBBY (she doesn't use it) last fall.
THink I'll lightly scratch/rake in some grass seed today.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,434
We just finished having a bit of rain. I just got back from a hike in the burn area with my wife. We took pictures of several different wild flower varieties that we found. I will post some later. I forgot my phone and took them on my wife's phone. My wife is writing an article on the recovery. She has discovered that most of the flowers we are finding are "fire followers". The bloom still have not occurred on the unburned side of the park. I will be hiking in that side of the park tomorrow.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,435
Here are some shots from today. This is nothing like the super bloom, but still pretty impressive. I have not seen anything like this in the non burn areas. You can see the yellow invasive mustard in the back of the last picture, which is a mixture of gold and purple.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
thanks HDT nice hillside shots!! we're getting some rain off & on today, most of the day "they say".....
I've read the wild mustard stuff is real bad if you get it on you (bad itchey) & in your lungs too? we have it here too, but I've been lucky I guess.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
More xc- skiing today. Were visiting some older relatives (already vaccinated) who live by a lake. So went out on a Tour de ice with the crew. Perfect conditions, just a couple of inches snow on top, sunny and warm.

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

Reactions: stevelong

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
NIKKO that looks like a lot of fun.....we used to ice skate all over some of the local lakes after freeze-up.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,439
Nikko, I really miss cross country skiing. We had a long period of drought where we were not getting sufficient snow. Over time, we just stopped doing it.

I still have my Atomic CCS Leader metal edge mountaineering skis and my Rossignol Trail skis along with my Asolo three pin double boots.

My feet have gotten bigger with age but fortunately, I still fit in the double boots if I wear one pair of socks. I fitted them for mountaineering which I probably will not do any longer, at least no overnight trips.

They are great for trail though since they are very still and provide a lot of control.

Maybe I will get back to cross country skiing post pandemic now that I have retired and have more time. I need to find a ski partner. I don't think my wife can ski any longer after two knee replacements.

It looks like the big difference in our skiing is that we don't have flat areas with snow. Everything is mountains unless we are skiing across a meadow or a frozen lake.

Is that a lake you are on? Those tree areas look like islands.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,440
Chino Hills is now the California super bloom hot spot. Thanks to the fire, it is probably the only place getting large quantities of California Golden Poppies. We got caught in a traffic jam trying to get out. There is a one way road carved out of the side of the canyon where the uphill and downhill traffic caused a stopped that the rangers had to take control of. There are still a few flowers other places but not a super bloom. You can find them if you look. These are from a recent 21 mile hike up a couple of local mountains. These were on a ridge leading up to the main crest of the range. My wife and I were going to hike today but we are in a short heat wave that is going to last until about Thursday of next week. I may go out close to home later today just to get some exercise.

1421 - 1440 of 1456 Posts