Trad Talk Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Lucky you!! Still waiting for some common sense where I live. No possibility of vaccine in the near future. Did your wife also get vaccinated? Sure hope so. Today it's 17F and snowing. Expect around 7-10 inches before the current storm moves on. Hard going for the cattle right now. Had to ask a neighbor for assistance warming new calves up for the next few days.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hi Larry
Vivienne gets hers tomorrow (Saturday) and then her second in 12 weeks time. We've both been notified that we'll be geing a different vaccine when we have our second shot. The latest science is saying that folks that have two different makes development better immunity than 2 doses of the same vaccine. So were both looking forward to that.
i've ressurected an old project .. i's a chariot quiver from the time of Persian King Ashurbanipal ... should be interesting

Reactions: Larry Hatfield

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
i've ressurected an old project .. i's a chariot quiver from the time of Persian King Ashurbanipal ... should be interesting
Phil -

Including the axe ?

regards,

John

·
Trad is for stumpin
193 Posts
Got to be 65 or older here in WI for immunizations. Still waiting since I am 63

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Got my first dose of the Pfizer yesterday, second in 3 weeks. The next county over had doses that were going to go to waste, they asked on the news to get people to sign up. I waited till 2 pm to sign up for for 3:20 shot. The nurse had 5 needles with vaccine on her tray. There were over a dozen tables to get shots and not that many people there.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hi John

I'll be giving the axe a miss. I 've made the body of the quiver already and stitched all the leather straps and buckles. The British museum examples are made from wood covered in leather and embossed gold. The body of my quiver is made from leatherboard and will be decorated and covered in leather. Leatherboard's a wonderful material that's used in the footwear industry. It's a mixture of compressed reconstitued leather and cardboard and can be glued with PVA PU and superglues

My decoration is based on designs found at the ancient city of Nineveh where Asurbanipal had his main palace. The decoration is in relief using strips and shapes of leatherboard which will be covered in some beautiful cow belly leather that I have. The contours of the relief will form the decoration.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Phil -

. . . I’d like to see a picture when it done . . .

Pictured : assyrian axe made of bronze

regards,

John

·
straight arrow
612 Posts
Hey John, in that chariot photo, is that guy using a thumb ring? Is that arrow on the wrong side of the bow?
Or is it just an artist's rendition of an archer drawing a bow but not intended to be very accurate?
Axe on the chariot does resemble that bronze axe-head photo.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hey John, in that chariot photo, is that guy using a thumb ring? Is that arrow on the wrong side of the bow?
Or is it just an artist's rendition of an archer drawing a bow but not intended to be very accurate?
Axe on the chariot does resemble that bronze axe-head photo.
Marty -

The archer's form accurate . . . but the method of release is lost in antiquity . . .

"Ancient and modern methods of arrow-release" by Hickman :

https://www.archerylibrary.com/book...rn-methods-of-arrow-release/docs/notes08.html

Picture : An Assyrian archer mounted on a horse vs two Egyptian archer's mounted on a camel. Artists rendition.

regards,

John

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
STINKIN' COLD here folks.
16 bleeping below ZERO F. this morning here.
"they say" wind chill -30* F. here.
I suppose it's happened before, but I DON't remember any times in my adult life (68 now) A STRETCH OF TIME THIS LONG below 0*.
I DO remember a couple of times we had -21-22* F. but those are usually like 1 day or so.
I do believe we've been below +5* for HIGHs for 10 days or more.
I know for some of you this is everyday living - rare for us in southern Iowa.
Thursday we start getting some normal temperatures.....30s will seem like BALMY temps.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I've been REAL grateful for good cold weather gear for clearing off all the snow we've had coinciding with this same cold, SNOW(nearly) EVERY DAY ? for 12 days or so, until today.
I've been out in it some for 2-3 hours at a time, on tractor & with shovel, doing walks decks and driveway(s).
And with Libby the wonder dog, every hour or two, she gets out for 5-10 minutes.
NOT crying, if it sounds like it, sorry, it's been pretty good actually, and I know it's NOT JUST HERE it's been cold, it's all over.
one of the guys that used to be on here would've been saying "stop snivelling!!"

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hello all: I hope you're all safe and well especially those iof you n the states with the severe snow fall and freezing temperatures.

Decided to do a little more work on my ancient Assyrian chariot quiver today. Finally got around to covering it in leather

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
ours is beginning to break, we're ABOVE ZERO this morning at 6* F. WOO HOO
We're s'posed to be in 30s by the weekend.

·
straight arrow
612 Posts
With the shift to uncomfortably cold weather, did any of you go out to check how sluggish your trad bows were?

:D

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Marty, it's been cold enough my bows have been totally inactive.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Back on dry land for at least 6 weeks. First proper days off since November. ADHD brain is going a dozen directions but just sipping coffee in the meantime.

Reactions: Phil and stevelong
1401 - 1420 of 1456 Posts