TradTalk Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1429 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,281
Nice sunny 83 for Winter Solstice. It was in the 80's yesterday for the hike with my wife. Tomorrow we are going to drop into the frigid 70's. No Druids in my neighborhood so I am not expecting any elaborate celebrations.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Reactions: dpointon

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m building a recurve for my new son in law for Christmas. I’m not the biggest fan of the guy but maybe this can be a sort of olive branch to have some kind of relationship between us.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Eyeirritant putting a bow in his hand will make him a better man(we all no that).
Shooting a 300 round today,I have high hopes to break 200.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,285
Here are some pictures of a herd of bighorn we encountered in Little Berdoo Canyon of Joshua Tree National Park. See how many you can find in the first picture.

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
I see 3. 2 ewes and maybe one ram. hard to see for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
went out for a walk in the backyard with Libby the wonder dog.
5 degrees, hardly any breeze, I'm a poet, don't really know it, feet sure show it.......
Merry CHRISTmas everyone

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,288
It's a beautiful day here in Southern California; 61 now, high of 76 later today. We got light drizzle yesterday but it is clear today. The plan is to cook breakfast on my outdoor griddle (like cooking on a professional grill) and then cook two ducks and a tri-tip on my pellet smoker. I had an auger fire in the pellet smoker a couple of days ago and spent yesterday cleaning it out and making sure it works. Everything looks good to go. We have been getting high winds the past couple of days, but they are gone now. I read on-line that there was a potential for power shutdowns to avoid fires. I'm not sure if that is still being considered. That has been a standard practice after the Paradise Fire which was believed to have been started by power lines during high winds.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Around 34 degrees in old money here, as soon as the wind kicks in I'm tossing on my wetsuit to get in some windsurfing then off to supper with my father. I tend to get burnt out on socializing this time of year, sure is different this time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh my, I think I've been eating too much salmon during these holidays.
At our local Target, I just tried to run up an escalator that was going down.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,294 (Edited)
Sun is back out today. We were absolutely drenched yesterday. Hard rain much of the day. This is not good after all the fires. We need a lot of small rains. Fortunately, it only lasted a day. I am expecting that the burn areas will be exploding in green now that we have gotten some rain. Grasses were already starting to come up where the ground was wet. Unfortunately, the invasive mustard is also starting to sprout.

I am starting to spot more urban deer now that I am getting into more isolated areas of the park. I saw a buck and a doe on this past weekend. The buck climbed to the top of the ridge above me and I watched as he followed the ridge until out of site. I had to eventually climb that ridge when the gully I was in narrow and was chocked by trees. That was a very steep and loose hands and feet affair. I had to use my hands to help distribute my wait so my feet would hold on the loose hillside. Unfortunately, my cell phone camera was not focusing on the pictures I took of the deer.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,296
For those just joining in on the conversation:

Don't be strangers. All are welcome here.

And if you are new to the forum: welcome again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Morning all!

I leave my first trad bow hunt Wednesday morning, early. Hoping for an axis doe and all the pig I can stick.

Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Geezer in Nacogdoches - - GOOD LUCK

Reactions: Geezer51

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
Yesterday I rode the range land to see if the horses were still inside the fence. They were, but they had bad company---I hate elk! They drag their legs when they go over fences and will break every strand of barb wire. Plus, they clean off the browse my horses rely on in the winter. Click the photo for full impact.

1281 - 1300 of 1429 Posts