Trad Talk Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 1481 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was really bad here in Colorado as well, alot of times when we should have been able to see the mountains, you could not and the air quality was really bad, coupled with the fact we had more/larger fires this year than I can remember in the last 50+ years. Hopefuly things will recover and get better.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Good morning all. Just about to leave for a bit of a rove.. Really looking forward to it for two reasons ... a) i'm shooting a new bow made by my friend Pip Bickerstaffe. It's a reconstruction of the bow Leon Stemmler described in his 1940 book "Essentials of Archery". and b) I'm shooting some home made dogwood arrows I harvested less than 500 meters from my home .... should be an interesting morning

Stay safe everyone

Newsflash 09:30
CHANGE OF PLAN
Just took Otto out for a quick walk and my phone rang .... It was my shooting companion Gary.. Some of hiis night shift co-workers have tested Covid+ so he's self isolating. So I'll have a little shoot on my own later On the plus side I found another thicket of dogwood and cut 8 beautiful shafts.

·
Haybale Hunter
296 Posts
Just popped in to see of anything interesting is happening here.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm learning a new wind/water sport called windfoiling. The initial learning curve is near vertical, I spent my 1st hour basically failing to stand on the board. The second session I was standing 50% of the time and on the hydrofoil for a few seconds.
Today I was standing most of the time and foiling around 50% of that time. Just getting on the board is still a challenge in any sort of chop though.
Here is a short video of some folks who really know what they are doing on one to give you an idea of the sport:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Happy birthday larry ... Vivienne sends love and kisses as well

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
wishing you a great week Larry.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
happy belated birthday Larry
Grant that windfoiling looks like a riot.I hope you can master it.
Gun season opened Saturday here,I stayed home.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
when shotgun season is on here, I don't even like going anywhere.
A friend of mine drives a semi and never saw hunters, but had a slug go through the truck windshield.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Happy birthday Larry

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Mamba,

I've been windsurfing for years now. Having no connection between the power source and board is a very strange and interesting feeling. The potential to ride small waves is really something.

·
wannabe
2,160 Posts
Quoting Homer Simpson:
"That does not look easy, but I bet it is!"

Having tried windsurfing just once or twice I fully respect the challenges it provides. That foil with a hand-held wing is taking it to 11.

How fast do you have to go in order to get the foil planing and the board up from the water?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Barking,

The biggest difference between windsurfing/windfoiling and the handheld wing is that when windsurfing the sail provides a downward pressure on the board which has to be overcome with lift. You need speed to get that lift, around 8kts or so.

With the wing you have really significant lift at zero speed. So with the right technique and a decent amount of wind you can lift off at what feels like a walking pace. You can also "pump" the foil vertically and almost keep going in zero wind. There are guys who can tack through the eye of the wind without dropping off the foil.

That said its not as efficient as windfoiling, especially with big race gear like they are going to use for the 2024 Olympics. But the transportation challenges of that gear make it a real pain to use. Big boards, masts and booms just don't aren't appealing to me.

I'm actually using a board that inflates so all my equipment would fit in most sedan trunks or the back seat of a truck. I chose it so I can bring it aboard ship when I deploy.

Reactions: barking mad

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,237 ·
That would just be another sport for me to fail at. I went into shock from the cold trying to learn to water ski.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
My limbs are too stumpy to climb mountains or run marathons.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Good morning all :- First frost of the year last night with tempretures of -2c . Just about to leave for a walkin the woods with Otto.

Stay safe evryone

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Mornin' - still dark, I've been out with Libby, fed & watered her, I's drinkin' coffee now.
PHIL Libby says HI to Otto.

1221 - 1240 of 1481 Posts