Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've messed with ILF stuff seriously.

I've got my setup tuned halfway decent right now. I made a stab that holds really well and gives and excellent bow reaction on the shot. But, I'm noticing at anchor I'm feeling like the bow wants to rise upwards slightly while I'm pulling through the shot. I could add more weight on the stab but I really don't want to push it and aggravate my elbow again.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, I can tweak tiller a little to get better balance at full draw, right? I went from 0 tiller to app. 1/8" positive and it seems to have calmed down a little. Bow got quieter, too.

Am I on the right track or anybody got better options?

Thanks,
Chris

· Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Hey Chris,

I can also feel the imbalance you are describing and agree this is controlled with tiller. I have a couple questions that relate to this topic. Do folks tune for feel at aiming and if so at what crawl?

A broader question would be how do folks prioritize their Stringwalking tuning? Feel at aiming, arrow flight, group size?

Rasyad

· Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas.

I played around with it this morning a little after work. I find that a tiller of app. + 5/16" sits really well in my hand. I feel a slight initial rise but that, I think, is more a function of coming up into anchor from below. But, once at anchor I'm not getting that squirrely feel like the bow wants to rise up.

I think it may also be a little bit from a drastically different grip. I'm used to the larger, palm filling grips on my wood bows and I've switched to a bare riser. I experimented with heeling down a little more and that also seemed to lock the riser on target. Seems like the fulcrum is down the grip an inch or so. If I push through that point it's solid. Heel of the hand comes up a tad and I can feel the bow want to tilt a bit.

Matt,
Probably not an RU rig. This setup is NFAA trad, IFAA Bowhunter Recurve. Single anchor, fast arrow, mid-distance point on. I'm planning to shoot some field rounds this year, maybe the IFAA Worlds. If I shoot the Trad Worlds I'll likely be shooting MLB this year.

Rasyad,
With any bow I shoot I prefer a balanced feel at full draw. Getting to anchor and feeling the bow try to rise or dip is distracting and, I feel, a detriment to a smooth shot. Now that I'm getting back into shooting ILF I'm remembering how nice it is to have the option to adjust tiller and customize the feel to match my shooting style. I don't feel tiller has a huge effect on overall accuracy but more on feel, balance, limb return (shock or lack thereof), and noise. When I was stringwalking I tried going negative 1/4" to positive 1/4" tiller. I was able to tune for decent arrow flight at any setting and groups remained fairly constant but I ended up with zero tiller. A zero tiller balanced the best during the aiming phase with my crawls.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.