Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Border tiller question

hi everyone im pretty much a noob when it comes to the tech side of recurve shooting so any help would be much appreciated
i shoot split fingers always have i cant shoot 3under now this is were i get worried!!
i have a brand spanking ne BORDER BLACK DOUGLAS ULTRA DX with Hex6bb2 limbs
i went out today first time i had a chance to try to tune her and i measured the tiller and the tiller was dead even on both limbs
now does this means its been tillerd for 3 under or not?
i cant see anyway to adjust it any ideas

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
No worries

In my experience positive to an 1/8 makes no difference at least for me

How does the bow feel at the shot ?

I can shoot my bows either way with no adverse effect

When I do shoot three under I pull most the weight with my two upper fingers maybe this is why

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
http://www.tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2705

"In case you don't know and or for those reading this who don't know, tiller is the distance measured between the limb fade-outs and the string. A typical setting for a bow shot split fingers is one where the top limb distance will measure 1/8" more than the lower or 1/8" positive.

The idea is to adjust the tiller to get the limbs to "fire" evenly. Whenever you change the pressure on the string you effect the strength of the limbs. When you switch from a split three fingered release to a three under release you have moved the center point of the drawing hand down and are pulling the lower limb more (making it stronger). Changes like going from an elevated rest to shooting off the shelf can have a similar effect. Assuming that you have a bow where you can adjust the tiller most guys find the bow will shoot better and quieter with less tiller (weaker lower limb). Of course finger pressure on the string comes in to play here as well. When you here of guys shooting a much higher nock point when shooting three under it is to compensate for the stronger lower limb. Incorrect tiller can also greatly effect things like the vibration felt in a bow.

Some sight shooters take this tiller tuning one step further and adjust the tiller as they draw the bow. The idea being as you come to anchor if the sight wants to move up you make a certain tiller adjust meant or vice versa if it moves down so that the limbs are in balance. The flaw I see in that is that the speed of drawing and shooting is quite different and therefore probably not a 1 for 1 comparison. I want the bow to fire evenly even if it draws a little unevenly.

Hope that helps. "

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for replying guys and nope cant adjust tiller at all i dont think!
the bow feels fine at the shot but i have not shot many arrows threw it at all
but yep feels fine dosnt kick i just thought id check it before i started tunneing her today then found that it was the same tiller and i always thought that the top needed to be a bit longer in tiller
so i just stoped ad thought id fine out in case i had to send her back to get adjusted ... and i really dont want to
and ive tried with my other recurve to shoot 3 under i just cant hit anything like that and i got a litttle worried

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I'd contact Sid and talk about it and get right,,:shooting:

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
I also shoot split finger.

I have tried positive and negative tiller on almost every single bow I've owned.
Every single time I go right back to even tiller.
Not only does it shoot better, hold better my scores are better.
Is it the norm I don't know but it's better for me.
Like stated above even tiller is the limbs working together in unison, also your hand/ finger pressure plays a big roll in the tiller and release, if you have a ton of pressure on the bottom two fingers you will most likely want a positive tiller to make up the uneven pressure off those two fingers.
So if you even the pressure of you string hand you will want an even tiller.
Kinda like shooting two split finger, one above and one under.

This is how my nimble mind thinks.
It works for me your mileage may vary.

Chad

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Also some bows (ilf) you can adjust your till a little bit to help your arrows impact where you want to a degree.

Chad

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
With regards to split vs. 3 under:

There is no question that 3 under is the more accurate way of shooting, but it's not something you can switch and expect the same accuracy right away. You need to dedicate a few months on constant practice to it.
I made the switch 4 years ago and I would NEVER go back.

-Grant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts