Trad Talk Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent started a thread here for a while, but check in every so often. It seems there is not as much discussion going on here as there once was. Some of the regulars dont seem to post any more. What has been going on with this site?

Reactions: Floxter

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I see plenty of quality discussion, Rhust.

As far as I can tell, intelligent people tend to stick to this site (and the site to them). I haven't really noticed any prominently missing voices, but perhaps that's because debate has remained on a high level of complexity, controversy and cordiality at the same time - something that is rare on the Internet. Those that prefer shouting matches may have wandered off. I couldn't really tell you.

What I have always noticed (so it hasn't changed, either) is that some people like to do their 'rougher' ;) posting elsewhere - but come here when they have pressing problems concerning bows and arrows. You may register that the Watering Hole is a somewhat under-visited part of this site, whereas the equivalents elsewhere sometimes form the prime attraction.

Re water and drinks, but off topic: Personally, I'm not all that keen on bars of any variety anymore. But the ones that have inmates rather than patrons can be the most tedious. There they sit in beery, envious resentment of the outside world... You'd think the doors were locked!

Best,

Martin

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
It seemed to slow down after the DAS/Titan brawls.

Some bad mouthing continues elsewhere on the net, but folks here seem to prefer sticking to shooting fundamentals.

New people have been coming on board and the monthly 'challenges' so participants can work on sharpening their skills seem to be taking hold.
I don't know why Martin doesn't join in the June challenge though...;)

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
It also tends to be somewhat seasonal. When we can't get outside and shoot our bows we tend to sit at the 'puter and shoot our mouths. Once shooting season kicks in---along with lawn work, vacations, etc etc--we don't have as much time to spend here unless its to solve a problem.

Also if you look at the list of who's logged it there are a lot of guys who log in and monitor but don't feel the need to post unless a topic comes up that they feel strongly about or feel that they have something to offer to the conversation.

This site seems to be pleasantly relatively free of the "x2", "x3", and "same here" posts that over stuff other sites where there seems to be some sort of scoring system for how many/often times you post or how many responses your post generates

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Having a site dedicated to shooting limits the amount of nonsense fluffing up the content. It's a matter of quality over quantity. We've been around long enough that we don't need to encourage vitriolic rhetoric or gossip. That always generates lots and lots of posts, but it's usually from the same people posting over and over again to the detriment of everyone else.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
SteveGabriel said:
I don't know why Martin doesn't join in the June challenge though...;)
'Cos I had to take a longish break from shooting and am only just getting the hang of it again... Come August, I might be hitting the paper again.

Hey DWS, no scoring system for posts per annum? And I'd just cooked up this wonderful scheme of copy-pasting stuff from elsewhere... :(

Best,

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Martin Farrent said:
As far as I can tell, intelligent people tend to stick to this site (and the site to them).

Best,

Martin
Thanks Martin. Very enlightening.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thanks for the implicit correction, Jim... you're right.

Some intelligent people have obviously felt uncomfortable here. The kind of naked, infant intelligence that comes without other developed skills lacks a playground in a mature environment. But fortunately, there are other places where people can do their growing up, however long it may take them. I don't miss the scabs on my knees or the bullies... though I was a tall kid and could handle them. I'll take a trip down memory lane now and again, but I don't live there.

Best,

Martin

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This used to be one of my favorite sites, but after I spent some time here I found it to be somewhat closed minded. That is ok, because if fills a niche. There are some very intelligent people who frequent here, but sometimes I find them to be pretty one sided. I miss some of the guys that have left, they brought variety to this forum. I still find it to be a valuable source of information. I am glad that there are many different types of forums out there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry to disappoint. Do you feel the need to get this horrible secret you've been holding off your chest, so that you can continue on with life unburdened? Just wondering what your motivation might be.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an observation, nothing more.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just don't agree with making negative observations known without prior solicitation. It usually doesn't accomplish anything but put people on the defensive.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
This place can seem very "one-minded", rhust. It's dedicated to excellence in this sport and we don't tolerate a bunch of pot stirring tripe. People who can't discuss things in a civil fashion get the boot. Those who can't discuss things in an intelligent and mature fashion tend to get straightened out by the core membership. Beginners may not post much because they may feel they have nothing to contribute but, of course, that's not really the case.

If someone is looking for an argument that target shooting is for sissies then they'll have to go elsewhere for that. If they want to pound their chests and declare to the world that metal risers aren't traditional, they won't be around long. If they want to argue that people who use aiming techniques take the easy way out, they'll get no traction here.

If gossip about other people and other sites and talking trash about non-members is their idea of good conversation, then there are places much better suited to that sort of thing. This site won't appeal to everyone. Because of the experience on this site, there isn't a whole lot that's all too controversial. Experienced and educated people tend to draw the same conclusions and when they don't, they tend to disagree civilly and remain friends so there aren't very many long debate threads. That sort of thing does generate a lot of discussion, of course, but vitriolic debate also generates a lot of hard feelings and generally over nothing.

This is a good place for people who care about shooting and the SPORT of archery, so it's not a surprise that it's primarily populated and frequented by people who care about that and enjoy discussing it and sharing their thoughts with like minded people. Believe it or not, the things we enjoy talking about, sharing and doing here may not necessarily create warm fuzzy feelings everywhere.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Metal vs. wood, gap vs. instinctive......

The bottomline is are you improving in your shooting, no matter what or how you shoot. That's what I try to do here. I have gotten into a few debates in the watering hole over trivial stuff, but I'm trying to reform myself :)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Papabull said:
Experienced and educated people tend to draw the same conclusions and when they don't, they tend to disagree civilly and remain friends so there aren't very many long debate threads.
Actually, I partially disagree with you there, Robert.

There have been some very long debates on fundamental disagreements about shooting here. Some of the longest productive debates I have ever seen anywhere on the Internet. But yes, they have remained friendly and remarkably free of redundancy, despite the length. And yes, that is exceedingly rare for long debates on the Internet. Of course, it has been very beneficial that people haven't seen fit to spice them with daft comments about their hangovers or implied virility. I've always wondered about people who need to do that.

Best,

Martin

·
Registered
795 Posts
Man and I was just about to start making dirty jokes related to my bow and such :) Guess I'll have to go elsewhere with my amazing humor.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
ahshoot said:
Man and I was just about to start making dirty jokes related to my bow and such :) Guess I'll have to go elsewhere with my amazing humor.
You know something that has always puzzled me? People who feel they get to know each other better by talking about really dumb stuff, instead of the topics they're allegedly interested in.

But the shape of your bow is a different matter and dismally serious. I think I have the same problem as you... ;)

Best,

Martin

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Btw, Rhust.

I've been following usage of this thread via the "Last click" facility. Seems lots of people have a quick glance at it - some of them turning up from nowhere all of a sudden. But they all tend to move off to the actual archery threads within a short space of time. Could that be significant (to you and your original comment)?

Best,

Martin

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
the other DWS said:
It also tends to be somewhat seasonal. When we can't get outside and shoot our bows we tend to sit at the 'puter and shoot our mouths. Once shooting season kicks in---along with lawn work, vacations, etc etc--we don't have as much time to spend here unless its to solve a problem.
what he said.................when the weathers nice I spend most of my time outdoors, and less at the computer.

I still check in daily to see what's going on but don't spend the hours here I normally do during fall and winter.

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
rhust said:
...I found it to be somewhat closed minded.
and
...I find them to be pretty one sided.
Bob Gordon,

Have there been any reports of black helicopters or guys in blue helmets lurking around the water supplies in Idaho?

Sorry but partial quotes above are so far off the mark I just can't take them seriously.

Dave (no doubt one of the closed minded, one sided members)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.