Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Salt Lake this past weekend for a convention. I had some dead time so I went to see and exhibit of the Dead Sea scrolls. One of the displays was of six bronze three blade arrow heads that were recovered from one of the digs. They were approximately 2000 years old and the workmanship was outstanding. They looked like a small 1/2" VPA or a Woodsman.
We really haven't progressed that much have we ..In a simple way I find this very humbling.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
That's very cool. I wonder what kinds of ancient technologies have been lost over the centuries that would have measured up to near-modern spec. I believe the ancient peoples had some very complex and intricate bronze casting skills. I suppose now we have 3D printing...

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
I've seen various of the DSS traveling exhibits. My background is in "biblical"/middle-eastern archaeology and have worked on sites on the east side of the Dead Sea from Qumran.

the bronze tri-lobate arrowheads are considered "Roman" and considering the history of the Qumran area that is a logical assumption. Most are found in camp sites and in recognizable conflict areas. While "Roman" armies used both horse and foot archers; in the "Dead Sea Scroll"-era the Roman Legions themselves were heavy infantry oriented. Archers, slingers, and most of their cavalry were regionally-recruited professional auxiliary forces teamed on a long term basis with the legions.

Typically the heads are a lost-wax-cast bronze alloy form that has been heat treated and sharpened. The technique was somewhat similar to the investment cast heads we currently have available. while they are more commonly found in Roman oriented sites they were also used by many other armies of that era, including Rome's opponents.
Since form follows function and economics its not surprising that almost all are variations on the tri-or bi-lobate form even much later in history as iron and steel tech came along the same basic forms continued right up to the modern era for use against un- or lightly-armored opponents or game.

·
Premium Member
12,103 Posts
Wayne, I'm impressed, AGAIN.
I've seen you post some pretty amazing things, before, and again here.
I need to get out more.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Steve, Uncle Wayne is a walking encyclopedia, literally!:shooting:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for posting this story. We need more historical encounters on here! Many of us chose trad because it embodies ideas like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts