Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned previously that I am taking a 180 degree turn this year and am changing from shooting FITA barebow to longbow. Though the equipment is very different, I am finding that shooting the longbow can be similar to the recurve, with a few modifications. I am finally starting to get the feel for the longbow, and getting closer to consistently reproducing something close to my recurve form. At this point the main difference is starting to become aiming method. FITA barebow has no restrictions. You can stringwalk, face walk, change hooks and anchors, even changes bows and arrows, which I frequently do. Longbow is very restrictive. No change in anchor or hook is allowed. As such, I am learning to gap at the bow. The upside of the longbow is that it is so comfy to carry around the field range, and at 70 inches, is still relatively smooth with no hand shock. Lugging that recurve with all the added weights can be a pain, but it can easily cover all the distances out to 80 yards. For FITA I shoot 36 arrows at 90 meters. I am not sure what my long range plan is going to be after this year, I would like to keep doing the IBO shoot with a longbow. Maybe split the year. I will have to decide. For now, I am enjoying the change of pace, and the new people that I am meeting. Here is a picture of the my two main bows. The recurve is a Bernardini Nilo with Border HEX6 lmbs, Beiter plunger, AAE Free Fyte Elite rest. The arrow is an Easton ACE 430. The longbow is a Falco Trophy Carbon. The arrow is wood made by Wapiti. Very different, but it is all archery.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hank,

I shot IBO longbow last year, and struggled with it tremendously. So I switched to a 25" riser / recurve for the winter. The switch allowed me to focus on my shot sequence with a more forgiving set up, and generally improved my overall shooting. I do think that shooting the longbow is significantly different than the decked out target recurve, although I am applying the discipline that I learned shooting the recurve to the longbow.

I am back to longbow for now for the IBO 3D season. I may return to the recurve for indoor shooting for the winter. Switching back and forth interchangeably during the competition season usually spells disaster. But switching to one or the other for extended periods works well for me.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Strength in the bow arm. Your bow arm has to replace the four pounds of riser and stabilizer. Consistent grip and strong bow arm.

I spent several years with a long bow. Much stronger time in my life. You know the rock climbing all-important ratio of strength to weight. I think that strength to draw weight is an important ratio shooting a long bow.

JMO

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strength in the bow arm. Your bow arm has to replace the four pounds of riser and stabilizer. Consistent grip and strong bow arm.

I spent several years with a long bow. Much stronger time in my life. You know the rock climbing all-important ratio of strength to weight. I think that strength to draw weight is an important ratio shooting a long bow.

JMO
Rusty,

I am glad you pointed that out. I had never thought of the extra bow arm strength needed due to the lighter weight of the bow. Surprisingly, that is what I have been feeling when shooting, I just did not connect on why.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the most critical thing is to get good solid form and a shot sequence. Once you have that in the bank you can shoot anything.
That is exactly where I am coming from as well. I have been putting all my time into form. That is why I am a bit unprepared for the field season. I have not spent the time on the course getting sighted in. I felt real good today pseudo blank bailing (shooting at tape). I am starting to feel good about my form. Now I just need to figure out how to construct the shots for the distances, and to do it during a tournament. All in time.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I think you can shoot most any bow tolerably, if you can shoot, but comfort and fit certainly play a role in how well you shoot an individual bow, or even a type of bow. I can't shoot longbows worth squat. They do not fit my hand and high-wrist style at all. (Old injury to bow arm. Age brings limits! ;-) )

Now, if I were to put longbow limbs on my Morrison ILF riser, I'd have a hybrid, but not a 'longbow' as the term is commonly used. But it would work for me ;-)

All that said, I hope you get to where you want to be with your new rig, Hank.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
PS and I was gonna ask about the availability of that recurve , but it's wrong-handed ;-)

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
An agreement between our bodies which control FITA and IFAA codes in this country seems to have been nicely timed to an increase in FITA clubs of a development of interest in 'traditional' equipment. IFAF wood have been very traditionally orientated while FITA would have been metal BB orientated. It will be enlightening for both organizations.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have little of either FITA field or IFAA in my area, though we have a very strong FITA target program. I started, and spent most of my time with the FITA target guys, as an outlier shooting barebow. Now I am starting to make the move to field, though I wish it was to FITA field. I false started on this transition last year where I had hoped to go to Arizona to shoot a FITA field tournament. I still my this fall. You take what you can get, and here in the US, we have NFAA. The IBO Traditional shoot was great, but there is only one IBO shoot within a days driving distance.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Given the weather I see currently forecast for the plains area.... you may soon have a field course near you....

Keep safe folks!

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My boss just moved from tornado alley in Oklahoma to Arizona last week, in the nick of time. He is a Californian and really freaked when they had their first tornado hit nearby.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, won't be in Yankton. It does not fit my vacation plans this year. Maybe next year after I have a year of field under my belt. By the way, where do you fly into: Sioux Falls, Omaha? Yankton is way over on the wrong side of South Dakota. The good climbing is in the Black Hills. I climbed Devil's Tower and Tricouni Nail in the Ten Pins about 23 years ago. It was the first airplane ride for my first son, when he was one year old. The next year we took him to the Western Outback (Kimberly) of Australia. 26 hours and 9 airports to get there. He was a seasoned traveler at a very young age.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hank,

There are several FITA field tournaments here in the Phoenix area, one was just this past weekend and there are several more this year. I am working on my form at this point so I haven't bothered to join of the tournaments yet.

I am still working out what weight and spine for my arrows. I am playing with 536gr and 45 spine which I like for shorter distances because I am closer to a point on at ~40 yards and a 463gr and 51 spine which seems to fly the best, especially at longer distances (~75 yards).

What are you using?

Alan

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alan,

I am aware of those tournaments. I may try to make the one in the fall. They were what I was targeting last year but I just could not get ready for field with all the form changes I was working on. For FITA field I would definitely shoot my barebow rather than the longbow. I would stringwalk. I currently use full length Easton ACG 430's with 120 points. They are 434 gr. I do not remember my point on, it was changing with my form changes. I have lots of room to shorten or lengthen it. The longest shot is 50 meters. I can easily make a 50 meter point on and work down from there. Or 45 meters and work from the top of the target, down.

My FITA barebow is at the top of this post. It is a Bernardini Nilo with 35 pound Border HEX6 limbs. I am working on tuning the HEX6 for stringwalking. Last year I was using a Best Moon with 36 pound Border CXB limbs. It tuned up pretty easy. If I can't get the HEX6 the way I want them, I will go back to the CXB, or a set of HEX4 that I have. I think I am going to be able to get the HEX6 to work. It just takes a bit more experimentation than the CXB. The reward for the time, though, is the faster speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.