Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I figured out that I would have to shoot my longbow split finger with a high anchor to get the correct point-on for NFAA field. I was not able to get my favorite split finger tab to work with the high anchor; too much crowding on my face from the spacer. I went to an old Bateman split finger tab with the spacer removed. It worked great, but it was really too large (it spanned all four fingers). I did a crude hack job and cut it back. It still worked fine. I was going to try to get a replacement in a smaller size when I remembered that I had a perfectly good Wilson Black Widow split finger tab at home. So I started shooting the Widow and my arrows are flying way to the right (left handed shooter). I struggled for three days with the tab, and finally went back to the hacked up Bateman. Wouldn't you know it, the arrows are flying straight again. It has been a long time since a tab made that much difference in my shooting. I am not sure why I could not shoot the Widow. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Widow is cut for each finger. Could it be a finger pressure issue? Anyway, no time for a root cause analysis. I will be using the hacked up tab when I shoot my first field tournament of the year this Sunday. It doesn't look very cool, but neither do I.

·
Space For Sale
229 Posts
Different tab thickness, stiffness, sewn backings, etc. Make the arrow impact differently. My widow tabs shoot right also compared to my Batman tabs. Different tabs for different set ups is normal. :)

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Widow is much thicker than the Bateman. That makes it comfy to shoot, but I would rather have my arrows go straight.

hammer08, it is going to be a blood bath for me. I am sure the course will kill me. Maybe I will be more prepared by the June tournament.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hammer08,

Hopefully, I was really tired practicing this past weekend. I felt over bowed and had trouble maintaining my back tension and getting a good release. I am hoping that a little rest this week will help turn that around. I hate to say over trained with all the gym work and shooting, but, it is a possibility. I am ready to return to the light bows and some more form work over the summer, once I get through these two tournaments. I may even get away from shooting for awhile. I am taking more kayak training the end of June, and heading to the Sierra's for some backpacking, and climbing in August. I will need to do some conditioning first.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I remove a layer from my BW tabs and make my Saunders tab thinner by leaving out a layer.

Good luck with the shoot, we have the faith.

BTW your going to have to tell us more about this Kayaking because that's another of my past times as well.

John.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've had the same results in the past. The thicker plated tabs like the BW, Cavalier, etc. move the rear of the arrow outboard 1/8" or more from where it would be with a thinner tab......the result is usually a stiffer arrow reaction. I pick a tab for comfort and protection both for my string fingers and my face, and then tune to it.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Dave,

Yes, you are right. I have backups for all my competition tabs. The problem here is that I needed to go to a different tab to make the high anchor split finger hook work. My go to split tab is a Black Mamba Venom tab which is a full FITA style tab. I use the large spacer which is why it does not work with the high anchor. It is also a very thick tab and comfy.

As far as thickness, with my recurve I routinely go between a Bateman three under and a very thick Spigarelli three under tab without issues. That is a FITA barebow with an elevated rest. I go to the thicker tab when my fingers start to hurt. It is possible that the longbow with wood arrows shot off the shelf is more sensitive. Maybe it is a tuning issue. I am new to both longbows and shooting off the shelf. I have not done the type of tuning that I have read folks doing here. No shooting different brace heights until the group tightens up. I pretty much shot until I got a good looking flight.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Don't know if this is relevant but I made a few tabs that made my arrows BS slightly stiff.

I attributed this to the material not being as slick as my BW tab?

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
I have shot a lot of different bows, and I have a couple dozen tabs mostly homemade from scrap leather. Different tabs can give me a different point of impact at 20 yards by the better part of a foot. With different bow/arrow setups I select a tab that shoots down the line with the amount of cant I want, which may be zero to 20 degrees with different rigs. Mostly I do it to get a given set of tackle to shoot like the others.

On the range I may have 8 or 10 tabs in my quiver pockets, some of them simple ones to give away to newbies in need.

With a new setup a selection of tabs is a critical part of my tuning process. - lbg

·
Registered
502 Posts
hammer08,

Hopefully, I was really tired practicing this past weekend. I felt over bowed and had trouble maintaining my back tension and getting a good release. I am hoping that a little rest this week will help turn that around. I hate to say over trained with all the gym work and shooting, but, it is a possibility. I am ready to return to the light bows and some more form work over the summer, once I get through these two tournaments. I may even get away from shooting for awhile. I am taking more kayak training the end of June, and heading to the Sierra's for some backpacking, and climbing in August. I will need to do some conditioning first.
I shoot 46 pounds and if I shoot a few full rounds(28 targets) in a couple days time I begin to feel fatigued as well. Scores will fall rapidly as my form deteriorates. Shooting strong shots matters big time when you get into long distance shots as I'm sure you're well aware of.

Enjoy the tournaments though and let me know how they go. Sounds like you have a fun summer ahead!

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hammer08, thanks, I will enjoy it no matter how I do. I have decided to challenge myself this year with something different, and in that way it takes the pressure off. I can go out, have fun, and focus on learning something.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are my split finger tabs. The center two are the Black Mamba Venom tabs. The top is how it comes. You trim to fit. The top is my backup tab which I have not trimmed yet. What makes the Venom tab so good for me is that the spacer (see bottom picture) positions the arrow at just the right location for my finger lengths. In this case the arrow rests on the spacer rather than the spacer just being there to separate the fingers. The Venom tab was develop by young Olympic hopeful, Matt Zumbo. I bought my first one to show support for Matt, a teenager that started his own business. I fell in love with the tab and now depend on it. The tab on the left is the Wilson Black Widow, and on the right is my hacked up EW Bateman tab with the rubber spacer removed. The Black Widow tab has these two interesting flaps of material inside the space, that encase the arrow. I have not see that on any other split finger tab.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I cut those spacers off my splitfinger widow tabs because they drive me nuts having them against my fingers.
I also shoot three under with the Widows because I bought three at the same time and I'm to cheap to replace them just because they are ment for split an not 3 under.
Something else I do that nobody in the NZFAA or KD3 shooting stringbows do anymore is use talc on my tabs.
I find it makes a big difference to how slick the tab feels but none of those that have asked about it have taken it up because their hunters,not target shooters.
Their words not mine, but it still gives me a chuckle every time I hear it.

John.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Surprisingly, the best I have ever stringwalked was with a Bateman split finger tab WITH the spacer. I used the spacer as a reference point. I did a post in the past where I showed the tab and my crawls.

Not another chart !!! Can't resist.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.