Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an post on the Leatherwall a bit, under the name JackNZ.

Anyway,The history thread on the LW got me thinking about the older guys I've known in NZ archery over the years.

#1 Was Jimmy Hinchco, Member of the international Master Bowyers Guild.

One of only about thirty members in it's short history.

Others were people like Gail Martin and Earl Hoyt.

To become a member you had to have the approval of all the other members and have shot an won in international target competition with your own bows.

Jimmy was not only one of the founding members, he set the international standard,,,which upset a lot of people and eventually lead to the disillusion of the IMBG as anything of worth.

I met Jimmy at 17 years old as the bowyer that just happened to have made my bow and was also the founding member of my club...and a scary old bugger you kept away from because he had no time for fools or kids.

Jimmy taught me to fletch my own arrows by doing such a poor job that all his feathers fell off my arrows as I walked down the coast on my first big game hunt.

The Young Maori guy I met about two miles down the beach pointed back up the beach where I'd come from an asked about the trail of feathers I'd left strewn up the beach.

That question had me running back up the beach picking up my feathers and then walking the 5-6 miles back to the local general store to buy some pins and glue.

I've never let another person make my arrows since, so it was a very good lesson.

It was said that Jimmy could tell the cast of a bow by listening to it being loosed.

He and my Father in-law "Mike Ward" mirror cast a left handed copy of a 1970's Hoyt TDII that Mike went on to win the NZFAA indoors nationals with.

Mike Past the TD on to me in 2006 and I used it to take the 07 South Pacific 3D nationals Barebow Recurve class.

Since then the TD has mostly hung on my wall with the 07 Gold medal hanging from the top limb.

Mike was a Tool maker by trade and made all Jimmy's cams and hardware for his first compound bows.

Jimmy was a sheet metal engineer that had an interest in archery.

When the two got together there was no limit.

Jimmy past away around 79.

Mike had a stroke this morning, but he was at the local med centre when it happened so he's going to live for now.

I won't shoot another comp until I'm bowfit enough to carry the old TD again.

After all,Earl Hoyt got it right.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Nice post John
These anecdotes and stories should be passed on a celebrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.