Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I don't find near as much evidence as I used to that hot limbs are inaccurate.

I hear "I had rather have a slow ten then a fast miss" a lot from guys I really respect. Well let's put it another way. How about a fast 8 instead of a slow miss. You see I think you are able to draw enough draw weight that you can say it as the first iteration.

Lets say you are shooting 28#???

Here are two bows that both draw 28# on my fingers. one bow is shooting with SF glass foam limbs the same that gitnbetr broke a long stand TX indoor record with. The other black bow has Dryad's ACS RC on it. The SF on the gold bow shots a 445 gr arrow At 126 fps. The ACS on the black Firefly shot the same arrow at 144 fps.

If I shoot the practice round at my club with the faster ACS limbs is worth about 20 extra points out of a possible 120 (just scoring 10s)

So how can you guys say I'd rather a have a slow ten than a fast miss. Not sure you have thought this all the way thru. If you would like I slow bow I'll lend you some limbs :)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dryad's ACS RC drive the 445 gr arrow 144 fps. Still will under your speed I bet. The point is you can not say a Slow ten is better than a fast miss cause ya guys are not shooting a slow bow.

So the question maybe really a slow miss or fast 8??? :goodvevil

·
Registered
985 Posts
Townsend Whelen used to say, "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
You can substitute "bows" for "rifles".
A miss is a miss and the velocity used to accomplish a miss really doesn't matter.
It does seem that a lot of people think speed has something to do with missing.
Those of us who are more well-rounded have learned to miss at any speed.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I agree with you Rusty.
I like fast.
I like stable as well,but there's some very fast and stable combinations available today so I'm chasing as much speed as I can shoot with a nice stable platform to shoot it off.
Speed is good,my own best field scores have come shooting fast bows.
Don't miss an it's even better.

John.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rusty... You will find that a lot of the time the advertisers of the slow hit is better than a fast miss are those engaged in politics...
Ah! Had not thought of that. that makes more sense now rather than wanting a slow bow. A slow bow is an albatross around your neck especially past 30 yards.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I'm always looking for that balance to get the best of both worlds, reasonable speed with good stability seems a logical compromise, that compromise sometimes has to be draw weight because in a lot of cases people chasing speed go way past their comfort zone in draw weight.
That is a good point Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Ah! Had not thought of that. that makes more sense now rather than wanting a slow bow. A slow bow is an albatross around your neck especially past 30 yards.
Well I'm not political at all Rusty, I'm far to honest for that. I like my bows as fast as I can get them but not past that point of useable stability. Despite the paranoia of some, the fast miss reference doesn't always refer to extreme limbs. A lot of guys go way down in arrow weight and FOC to gain fps. Really low FOC gives a very twitchy arrow that kills you on a bad release.
The best combo is the riser, grip, limbs, string and arrow that hits the spot on your worst shot, not your best.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
So if you want a fast bow.....lower your arrow weight.....but you can only do so much there.

What flies better in the wind a heavy arrow or a light one - thick shaft or thin shaft - high foc or low foc.

Then you have the worst variable.......US.....yes you and me....that's the part that sucks for me ;)

jer

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Well I'm not political at all Rusty, I'm far to honest for that. I like my bows as fast as I can get them but not past that point of useable stability. Despite the paranoia of some, the fast miss reference doesn't always refer to extreme limbs. A lot of guys go way down in arrow weight and FOC to gain fps. Really low FOC gives a very twitchy arrow that kills you on a bad release.
The best combo is the riser, grip, limbs, string and arrow that hits the spot on your worst shot, not your best.

why do you mention extreme limbs... with reference to paranoia?

Rustys observations were based on two different bows.

what about inline or reflexed risers?
or even grip shape that the archer is used to?
Mass distribution or even Torsional stability?

heck, it could even be down to the smoothness being what Rusty knows. there he finds his anchor best with a particular setup...

but you mentioned extreme limbs...

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I would rather take a set of limbs which were fast and shoot as stable of an arrow as possible (weigtht and FOC) rather than try to chase speed out of some slower limbs with really marginal arrows.

Past about 205fps I can't seem to see all that much difference in my crawls even out to 45m or so provided my speed change comes as a result of increased arrow weight. I can sure tell the difference between 80gr and 100gr points in terms of stability. Maybe that is just a reflection of my skills as an archer.

-Grant

Reactions: Harpman

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Always have tried to get the fastest arrow combined with the tightest groups. Mine has settled at around 173-175 fps with a rather heavy 365 grain arrow, i shoot 41 lbs on my fingers. Sure I can make it go faster, in facy have made it go over 200 fps. But control of groups an accuracy was lost.

3d shoots in Okla tend to be hunting conditions with leaves and vines sometimes in the mix. Slower heavier arrows work better

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
why do you mention extreme limbs... with reference to paranoia?

Rustys observations were based on two different bows.

what about inline or reflexed risers?
or even grip shape that the archer is used to?
Mass distribution or even Torsional stability?

heck, it could even be down to the smoothness being what Rusty knows. there he finds his anchor best with a particular setup...

but you mentioned extreme limbs...
fishing for something in an empty pond?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Jon Lewis;496832)... A lot of guys go way down in arrow weight and FOC to gain fps. Really low FOC gives a very twitchy arrow that kills you on a bad release. The best combo is the riser said:
Jon / Grant,

I think you guys have it right. Heavier arrows with higher FOC are more stable and forgiving. Is the corollary is also true, the faster the arrow the more critical the tuning?

Rasyad

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've never seen the need for an ultra fast recurve bow...however I've had a few that shot 214 fps which was my fastest...I didn't shoot it well..I just couldn't accept the bad shots thwt wasn't there with a slower limb.

I now shoot a blistering 185 fps...which is at 9.25 gpp...I don't like anything about a lighter arrow..maybe it's better but I don't see the need for over 185.

I mainly tournament shoot and see NOBODY shooting the super limbs I see talked about on here..maybe speed is better but it hasn't been proved on the tournament trail...I'll take accuracy first and always.

Dewayne Martin

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
I'm always looking for that balance to get the best of both worlds, reasonable speed with good stability seems a logical compromise, that compromise sometimes has to be draw weight because in a lot of cases people chasing speed go way past their comfort zone in draw weight.
I think some are confused when the word speed comes up. Sure some chase draw weight, but what if you have a draw wt you can shoot well, what would be wrong with seeking the fastest limb you can shoot well on that setup? This isn't over bowing oneself, it's getting the max from a setup that works. That's my goal, but I'm at a draw length disadvantage already. But I'm after KE, not speed.

Risers really have nothing to do with speed, they only hold the limbs apart at a specific angle which dictates a specific bh. You can increase the power stoke (speed) on any bow by moving the grip rearward (increasing reflex), which effectively reduces the bh. But the limbs don't see any difference other than they are drawn more. One might have to make adjustments for the added draw wt though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Speed for me = bigger gaps. Bigger gaps are harder to deal with than smaller gaps - so at the shorter range games that I play the speed becomes a liability instead of an asset. Most of my rigs shoot 10 gpp arrow around 165-170 fps - it seems very stable and accurate along with being quiet and consistent. I have shot up to 180-185 fps but find that my gaps increase about 6" at 20 yards and end up losing more points at shorter ranges than I gain on the longer shots. I could add speed, then take it away with heavier arrows - but a nice set of limbs would be $400 then the new arrows another $100........pretty soon it becomes a pretty expensive experiment to get back to where I'm already at.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts