Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a round today at the local club. 30 targets, average distance was 25-30 yards and a lot of the targets were pretty trashy. In fact I found myself a little irritated towards the end of the course because there were several shots that weren't set up for a stickbow and the trajectory we have. Some were just flat out blocked like the last target, a wolf at about 40 and all that was visible was the head.

Anyways, right before I left I switched out my contacts which are a new prescription. I didn't realize it at the time but something didn't match the trials I got. I found myself constantly having a focus issue with my right eye. The best description is that the left and right were slightly out of focus relative to each other. I had to close the left eye for a few seconds so the target wasn't blurred. I didn't think a lot of it at the time.

After shooting I had a lot of 8's that were vertically off the mark, mostly low. The frustrating thing is I'm solid at distance judging inside 35 yards and many of the shots I felt I had dead nuts. I know my holds and executed well only to be off. I started pacing off the shots afterwards and in almost every case I was about 3 yards short. It dawned on me that with my out of focus vision my depth perception was all messed up. I guess I never realized how much difference it had on my shooting. Needless to say I pulled those lenses out and I'll be calling the doc on Monday morning.

So, if you find yourself having some issues that seem odd it may be time to head to the eye doctor.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,759 Posts
I am fairly new to 3D and mostly judge distance as short, medium, long. I wish I could estimate inside of 3 yards and be disappointed when I get an 8. This is one area where I think experience really counts. It is hard for us new guys to make up for all the years we have missed.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
STR8 here is more. It clearly show that POA can be off if you suffer from near sighteness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance
Ocular dominance, sometimes called eye dominance or eyedness,[1] is the tendency to prefer visual input from one eye to the other.[2] It is somewhat analogous to the laterality of right or left handedness; however, the side of the dominant eye and the dominant hand do not always match.[3] This is because both hemispheres control both eyes, but each one takes charge of a different half of the field of vision, and therefore a different half of both retinas. There is thus no direct analogy between "handedness" and "eyedness" as lateral phenomena.

Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant and one-third left-eye dominant;[1][4][5][6] however in a small portion of the population neither eye is dominant. Dominance does appear to change depending upon direction of gaze[2][7] due to image size changes on the retinas.[8] There also appears to be a higher prevalence of left-eye dominance in those with Williams-Beuren syndrome,[9] and possibly in migraine sufferers as well.[10] Eye dominance has been categorized as "weak" or "strong";[11] highly profound cases are sometimes caused by amblyopia or strabismus.

In those with anisometropic myopia (i.e. different amounts of nearsightedness between the two eyes), the dominant eye has typically been found to be the one with more myopia.[12][13]

Contents [hide]
1 Importance
2 Determination
3 Treatment
4 See also
5 References

Importance[edit]In normal binocular vision there is an effect of parallax, and therefore the dominant eye is the one that is primarily relied on for precise positional information. This may be especially important in sports which require aim, such as archery, darts or shooting sports.It has been asserted that cross-dominance (in which the dominant eye is on one side and the dominant hand is on the other) is advantageous in sports requiring side-on stances (e.g. baseball, cricket, golf);[14] however, studies within the last 20 years have shown this not to be the case. In a 1998 study of professional baseball players, hand-ocular dominance patterns did not show an effect on batting average or ERA.[15] Similarly, in 2005, a South African study found that "cricketers were not more likely to have crossed dominance" than the normal population.[16]

Ocular dominance is an important consideration in predicting patient satisfaction with monovision correction in cataract surgery,[17] refractive surgery, also laser eye surgery, and contact lens wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...nter_error.PNG

Dan

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
DDD I agree particularly those shots through a long tunnel of brush seem so far away and open field shots seem closer than they really are. Then there is the difference in size of 3-D deer targets can fool you as well, even with good eye sight.

Todd

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info, DDD.

I shot today at another 3D shoot. Put the other lenses in. No issues today with blurred vision and it showed on the course. Granted it was an almost brainlessly easy course but yesterday on similar ranged targets I still struggled.

Lesson learned. Keep the specs up to date, bring eye drops along. I've shot before when my eyes were dry or fatigued and until yesterday I took for granted how much decent vision factors into shooting.

btw, Hank, I don't normally assign a particular value to a target before I shoot. My bow has a point on of 30 yards and I shoot light arrows to keep the speed up (normally in the 190-200+ range). I pretty much just look at the target and figure "point on, little under, little over, and close". I shoot best when I don't pre-figure a hold because I get it close and let the rest happen. I normally guestimate distance when I've made a poor hit and pace it off to see if I was right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.