Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received a dozen tapered shafts from them today.

I'm just learning some of the ends and outs on making and shooting wood arrows so what impressed me may not impress you.

Ordered their 50-54 and first thing of course was to eye check to see how straight they were. All but one looked really good.
Between how straight they were and their weight spread I am getting happier all the time.
11 of the shafts weighed 329 to 335 that's a +/- 3 1/2 grains one shaft weighed 325 grains.

I'm new at spinning shafts so I went thru it twice just to check myself.
Without paying any attention to grain orientation I marked the stiff side of each arrow.

2- 51+ Could easily be 52
1-54
9- 52-53 one of the 53s was marked 54 but it was closer to 53 for me.

The grain was good and straight on all but one and that was one of the 51# shafts that was the lightest also.

I took one of the shafts that was a toss up between 52-53# and bare shafted it to 25
yards. I was shooting for a back of point length of 29+ inches and at 29 1/2 inches it
repeatly bareshafted great.
I made sure each time the stiff side was against the riser. Just to satisfy my curiosity
I turned the stiff side out twice. Both times the shaft showed very weak.

Any way I'm happy with the numbers .
Waiting to apply another coat of sealer. Hope to shoot them this weekend in a TBOT shoot.

Thanks
Walker

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Enjoy the fun and addiction of woodies. Rednef has a sticky on the forum that is about as good as it gets. I follow his method and I do not have to re straighten them much if any at all. I do not know if you have looked into it but the Tophat system is sure handy for wood arrows.

·
Premium Member
All
1,299 Posts
Received a dozen tapered shafts from them today.

I'm just learning some of the ends and outs on making and shooting wood arrows so what impressed me may not impress you.

Ordered their 50-54 and first thing of course was to eye check to see how straight they were. All but one looked really good.
Between how straight they were and their weight spread I am getting happier all the time.
11 of the shafts weighed 329 to 335 that's a +/- 3 1/2 grains one shaft weighed 325 grains.

I'm new at spinning shafts so I went thru it twice just to check myself.
Without paying any attention to grain orientation I marked the stiff side of each arrow.

2- 51+ Could easily be 52
1-54
9- 52-53 one of the 53s was marked 54 but it was closer to 53 for me.

The grain was good and straight on all but one and that was one of the 51# shafts that was the lightest also.

I took one of the shafts that was a toss up between 52-53# and bare shafted it to 25
yards. I was shooting for a back of point length of 29+ inches and at 29 1/2 inches it
repeatly bareshafted great.
I made sure each time the stiff side was against the riser. Just to satisfy my curiosity
I turned the stiff side out twice. Both times the shaft showed very weak.

Any way I'm happy with the numbers .
Waiting to apply another coat of sealer. Hope to shoot them this weekend in a TBOT shoot.

Thanks
Walker
----------------

Hello Walker
Roll them on glass or other [ Later

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a wood arrow guy, but I thought bare-shafting woodies could lead to broken shafts.
I have some that are really weak and they fly so bad I was afraid I was going to break one. They would almost land sideways. If I had been shooting a heavier bow I think they would have broken.
If the spine is correct they will fly straight and there is no reason for one to break.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enjoy the fun and addiction of woodies. Rednef has a sticky on the forum that is about as good as it gets. I follow his method and I do not have to re straighten them much if any at all. I do not know if you have looked into it but the Tophat system is sure handy for wood arrows.
Yes I have read Rednefs sticky several times.
Really good stuff. I learned what I know about wood arrows from his post.

I am using TopHat points. I was having a bit of a problem with them on some shafts but I built a small sanding jig to reduce the end of the shaft slightly when needed and thing are working out a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
dkard, yes it can happen. When I first started bareshaft tuning woodies I snapped a few. A learning experience each time.

Start close. 10 yards.

If shooting a bag target, and the center is getting pounded into a hard spot beat up your bag with a stout stick/axe handle/ baseball bat. Redistribute the filling.

Don't shoot into a cardboard backed target face. Yes the cardboard can make a pressure point that will snap a shaft. Use self adhesive sticky spots, or simple paper faces. Cheap out and make your own from a piece of paper or paper plate. You DO want a target face of some sort as a reference, regardless of where the fletched and bare shafts may actually be hitting. It will assist in making tuning decisions.

Use a homogeneous target butt material if possible. You can some times scrounge styrofoam blocks at furniture stores.

If shooting a layered target, make sure you are shooting into the faces of the layers, not the edges.

If you find that even with these precautions that you still snap some shafts, then either you yourself are doing something seriously wrong with your shot execution, or your initial shaft selection is so far off, you may never get it to work.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Oh and BTW Walker I'm really glad that the Footed Shaft worked out for you.

Ever hear ANYTHING back from Wapiti?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Lost Nation is good for tapered shafts. I have ordered from Wapiti several time. I have had good luck with customer service so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Locomo
843 Posts
Terry from the Footed Shaft rocks!.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and BTW Walker I'm really glad that the Footed Shaft worked out for you.

Ever hear ANYTHING back from Wapiti?
Finally
Kathy email me yesterday to tell me they had not forgot me but their arrow machine had been down and they were out of the shafts I ordered.
Up and running now so maybe it won't be much longer.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know I was on a hog hunt earlier this week when the weather went south. Got worried
about the old woman I live with and headed home. Luckily just real cold for east Tx and a little snow. Got down To 7 last night and 11 the night before.
Going to warm back up starting tomorrow. May head back to south Texas.

Decisions decisions

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I bought a used TradTech riser from them last year to shoot while waiting on my Covert Hunter.
Super folks.

G

·
That's excellent to hear you finding enjoyment with woodies. There is a tad more work involved in making and maintaining woodies. The satisfaction in watching a woodie fly down range to its target never ceases to amaze me. Good luck on the weekend with your new arras!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts