Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A lucky friend was today tuning his freshly in/boxed Border Covert Hunter, which must be one of the first out. 62" 50#@28.

The comparator photos are my Border Black Douglas 19" CX riser and hex5 50# and Hex6 39#.

I could write a fair amount but basically I want a Covert Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I am hoping to shoot the same arrows that I am shooting out of my DAS with hex 6 h at 48# a little faster and and drop another 2#. I have already dropped down from 55# plus bows and am still shooting the same speeds. And it is much easier on the shoulders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shoot the same arrows I used on my Black Douglas, changed the points from 100gn to 105gn (just because I got some new Tophat Combo points) used the same string from my Black Douglas Hex 6 bb2, just had to moved the nocking point height, the same height but it was a different location on the string on the Covert and that was that. Shooting just above 10gpp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Visually the CH limbs are striking, both for the geometry but also the the finish. I personally dislike any branding on limbs but the CH lettering on the carbon fibre weave is discrete enough not to cross the border, so to speak.

The limb curvature might make the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. At a 28" draw, some string just about remains in contact with the limb.

The deflex is more strongly pronounced in the CH, and I wondered about support for the more extreme wood layering. However the carbon layers in the CH riser are visibly thicker than those of the Black Douglas. Both risers have 3 layers of carbon, though by comparison the Black Douglas layers are scarcely visible.

The wood finishing is identical and superb and walnut is great for a Border. The CH riser however has a more fluid feel, given the curvature and deflex.

My BD is 66" and this CH 62". That makes the CH a great hunting bow length but does dramatically change the draw weight sensation, as probably does any shorter bow. My hex5 50# on a longer 66" rig test my senior citizen strength but the 50# hex7 on shorter 62" CH exceed my ability. When I win the lottery my CH will have 40# at my 30" draw. In short, it might be easy to be over-bowed. What I order a Covert Hunter, I'll make sure to call Sid.

This photo is when the top tips of the 66"?BD and 62" CH are held level. 50# hex5 and 50# hex7. The bow length and limb differences are obvious. When drawing the shorter bow - as must always be the case all else equal - is a more robust pull but wow does the hex7 propel the arrow.

I'm saving my pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts