Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing on TV that the Chronicles of Narnia have religious undertones to it, much like The Lord of the Rings. I had these books read to me, and I purchased the whole set today. I'll be reading them to my children for our nightly reading. I know Cato recommended a C.S. Lewis book to somebody on the pagan vs. Chrisitanity thread. I thought some of you guys might be able to enlighten me on the Narnia books.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Matt,

These books are favorites of mine. I have had them read to me, and I have read them to my children. I have read much of CS Lewis. Almost everything he has written.

In my own spiritual search for the truth of things, Lewis has helped me along the way. He has a gift of simplifying the complicated and shining light on dark corners by the use of simple, illuminating analogies.

His Narnia books were not intended to be a re-telling of the Christian story. He did not mean them to be pure analogies for the Christian faith. Yet I, and others, have found them helpful in developing our own understanding of God's character.

Lewis and Tolkien were friends, BTW, who both desired to inspire a taste for truth by way of the imagination through the vehicles of myth and legend.

All of that aside, I will say that they are delightful stories any way you look at them and fit for children of all ages!

On a personal note, I think it is great that you take time to read to your children. I wish you lived closer Matt, so that we could discuss this and other things in person. I still owe you an e-mail and a cd or two!

Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We started them last night. My 5 yr old son, couldn't really get into them, but my 10 year old daughter seemed to really enjoy the story. After I put the kids to bed I found myself getting the book back down and reading on for myself. I'm real glad I bought them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Matt,

You and I are in the same boat here, in that I have not read these books either. I want to see the movie. How about letting me know what you think of the books.

Cato

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cato,
I think you'd really enjoy these books. I read more of the first book last night (I have to go slowly obviously). I'm to the part where the Lion created Narnia from nothingness. It's easy to see a God type figure there. Really a great book, even for us grown up kids. :)

C.S Lewis is a wonderful writer. I enjoy his writings more the Tolkiens.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Both Tolkien and Lewis knew each other and other like minded writers . . . they were called the "Inklings."

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We finished the first book and have started the second. The divine nature of the story seem pretty obvious to me. Even though these are children books, adults will find many uplifting things in them. I've loved reading them. We're going to the movie tonight. I'm interested if they were able to maintain the same spirit that resides in the stories.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I understand the C.S. Lewis Foundation retained complete editorial discretion over the movie right up to the date of release. They could pull the plug up to the day of release if the filmmakers were not faithful. I forget the name of the independent filmmaker who produced it, I know Disney got the distribution rights. I understand they have started filming the next one and may release it earlier than the 3 year track originally scheduled.

I hope to see it this week.

The boys and I are working through the Fellowship of the Ring.

If anyone is into books on tape the Narnia series done by Focus on the Family is outstanding radio theater.

Let me know what you think of the movie, Matt.

Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The movie was awesome! I loved it and my son loved it. The references to Christ’s Crucifixion, his Resurrection, and the Atonement are very easy to see. The battle between good and evil had my heart pounding. It was well worth the $7 for me ($23 for the whole family). My son and I even had a discussion about Jesus and Heaven at bed-time (he heard me talking to his Mom about the movie and the references to Jesus). Great movie, if you haven't seen it yet, make sure you go. I also think it's important that a movie like this does well at the box office. Corporate America only thinks about $$$, so as long as Christian movies do well they will hopefully keep making them. There are not many bastions of morality left in our society. We need to support the ones we do get.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I too have seen the movie and read the book. Like many, my fear was that the wonder of the book would be lost in the transfer to the big screen. Not so. The movie is a wonderful retelling of a wonderful story. I hope they do the whole series and put as much effort and care into each story as they have the first.

MWC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts