Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about a month ago - having really had it with my inconsistent shooting - I posted here about committing to The Bridge.

Tonight, after a full 70 - 80 arrow session of blank bale Bridge work, I put up one of my minitargets.

Gut check time, yes?

Here's the update . . .

(particular thanks to my long distance coach - you know who you are)

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Way to stick with it. I talked about it, but never did it. While I have no doubt it would help, I don't want to give up tournaments. I have been working harder on my mental game and fairly happy right now.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Good shot!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Folks -

In partial answer to the questions, my "bible" - all two pages of it - is this:

http://langleyblog.wordpress.com/traditional-archery/the-bridge-method/

I've been following it to the letter. If you cheat on it you lose anything and everything you may have gained to date. So I don't.

I'll try to add a few notes on what it's been like later on . . .

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello
Are you shooting a tab. [ Later
Unk -

Yup, using my finalised generation of the Slicker'n. Sourced some mighty sweet 2.7 mm leather from here in Ireland and had to order the real 1050 ballistic nylon from the USA. Did some final tuneup on design (minimalist is good!) and cosmetic finishing aspects. Also a method of moulding the initial hook in it.

And about a week ago I changed to three under because - after a period of careful testing - I discovered that three under puts a lot less stress on my wounded rotator cuff. (I'm not a sports M.D., so don't run off and take this for medical Gospel)

Can stringwalking be far behind? :eek:

Regards,

Salskov

Reactions: Navan-James

·
Registered
245 Posts
This method wants 40 perfect shots in a row? Did you achieve this? I am confused a bit by the article that you linked, but would be interested to give it a try. Were there any other information sources used?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This method wants 40 perfect shots in a row? Did you achieve this? I am confused a bit by the article that you linked, but would be interested to give it a try. Were there any other information sources used?
It's a process. For the first 20 days I had zero - that's right, zero - perfect shots. Then I got . . . One. My best consecutive string to date is five.

Am I worried? Am I frustrated? Not in the least.

Forty consecutive perfect shots may seem impossible, but to me it is in the category of "difficult but not impossible". It may take me months, or longer.

Formula I race car drivers train hard. Part of their training is that their entire focus going into a curve or chicane - no matter how difficult - is solely on the exact point of exit from the curve. Their hardwired neuromuscular driving sequences take perfect care of the driving; their point of aim is the point of exit. To me the 40 perfect shot sequence is the exit point of the blank bale curve. Then I can get to work on actually aiming. Think about it.

:D

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thinking about it, I can distill everything I'm learning from blank bale and/or Bridge work - and it's huge - into just four words.

"Wax on, wax off."

:cool:

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Unk -

Yup, using my finalised generation of the Slicker'n. Sourced some mighty sweet 2.7 mm leather from here in Ireland and had to order the real 1050 ballistic nylon from the USA. Did some final tuneup on design (minimalist is good!) and cosmetic finishing aspects. Also a method of moulding the initial hook in it.

And about a week ago I changed to three under because - after a period of careful testing - I discovered that three under puts a lot less stress on my wounded rotator cuff. (I'm not a sports M.D., so don't run off and take this for medical Gospel)

Can stringwalking be far behind? :eek:

Regards,

Salskov
====================

Hello
Your tab turned out great. Your very neath with your workmanship. [ Later

·
markliep
687 Posts
Thx for the post - I went through it after Rods course last year & at about wk5 or so after i stsrted turkey hunting season kicked in - by the time that ended I focused more on anchor & aiming consisyency & have since moved on to more oly based drills from Rick McKinneys book - thexbale was surprisingly good fun but at closer distances (5-15m) there was a lot more robinhood damage happening - I'm far from perfect, having only once managed to get to 25 yds so I should repeat..repeat..repeat - M

BTW - the drill I was doing was 20 perfect shots every 5yds starting at 5yds out - an obsessive- compulsive's dream activity.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great-looking tab! Does it utilize two thicknesses of the leather and then faced with the ballistic nylon? Do you use adhesive to bond the nylon to the leather or is it an independent layer?
Dave -

It is four layers. Starting from the back of the tab, it is:

- 2.7 mm leather

- 3mm synthetic felt

- 1050 ballistic nylon (.025)

- 2.7 mm leather (the heel bar)

That puts the "flap" at just a hair under 6mm; thickness at the heel is 8.7 mm. All the layers are bonded together with a high tech (and bloody expensive) adhesive I found . . . no stitching necessary. The nylon is effectively frictionless; the string just vanishes from anchor. As thick as it is (and it does take several hundred shots to break it in) once the hook forms to your anchor it is really, really comfortable. In the sense that it doesn't intrude as something else to be managed during my draw/anchor sequence.

One other thing. The finger lanyard is set up to be used as a double cradle:

(this pic from an early prototype)

This in combination with the rear profile of the heel locks the angular (rotational) position of the tab relative to your hand same way every time. No flip, no flop.

It's taken a while to work out the design, fit and finish, and the manufacturing sequence but I'm pretty happy with it now.

Regards,

Salskov

Reactions: Dave Holquist

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
That's a bit different than Len Cardinale's (sp) bridge program. As I recall it's starting at 5 yards and shooting "40 nothing but perfect shots" in a row and you get to move back 5 yards to 10 yards. I don't think the shooting is done at a target. More form orientated than aiming.

Bowmania

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Just about a month ago - having really had it with my inconsistent shooting - I posted here about committing to The Bridge.

Tonight, after a full 70 - 80 arrow session of blank bale Bridge work, I put up one of my minitargets.

Gut check time, yes?

Here's the update . . .

(particular thanks to my long distance coach - you know who you are)

Regards,

Salskov
Just a clarification for my own benefit, but you have been blank bale shooting for almost one month and this is the first target you have shot at during that time? Arrow angle is fairly steep, so I'm guessing your very close range and you put this target up on the spot you have been normally shooting at while blank bale training? Your now going to use a 9" pie plate and back up a few yards? What in your opinion are the benefits you have acquired over this month of training that the video confirms?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts